Visual settings that only impact GPU and not CPU resources

Mr_sukebe

I only run DCS in VR and believe that it’s my CPU that’s the bottleneck.

If I check MSI Afterburner, it shows that I’m typically only using 60-70% GPU, I.e that I’ve definitely got headroom to up some settings.

Clearly I can go conduct some trial and error tests to identify what graphics settings I could change without impacting any further on CPU demands, but has anyone already done this and care to comment?

Settings that spring to mind are:

- Pixel density

- texture level

- grass and trees

- draw distance

Any thoughts?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I only run DCS in VR and believe that it’s my CPU that’s the bottleneck.

If I check MSI Afterburner, it shows that I’m typically only using 60-70% GPU, I.e that I’ve definitely got headroom to up some settings.

Clearly I can go conduct some trial and error tests to identify what graphics settings I could change without impacting any further on CPU demands, but has anyone already done this and care to comment?

Settings that spring to mind are:

- Pixel density

- texture level

- grass and trees

- draw distance

Any thoughts?

PD and MSAA should not impact your CPU. The rest neither, but it would impact your RAM and VRAM. Perhaps draw distance might have a significant effect as it has to shove more data at a higher speed.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.