f14b and gps? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
eatthis

Default f14b and gps?

just found this snippet off tinternet, if its true are hb planning to put gps on the b??
With the addition of the LANTIRN in the early 90s, and later with GPS for the B and D Tomcat models, it was a very viable air-to-ground platform.
eatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
near_blind

The version of the B HB have modeled for us predates any sort of integrated GPS by about half a decade.
near_blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
eatthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by near_blind View Post
The version of the B HB have modeled for us predates any sort of integrated GPS by about half a decade.
ok, cant wait for a d then lol most of my squadmates use the hornet and we mainly do atg, therye annoying me lol
eatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
near_blind

Well then grab one of your sqauddies by the neck and toss him in the back seat. The F-14 we have can carry an equal or greater tonnage of bombs further than a Hornet can.

The only unique things the Big A little f crowd have are JDAM and standoff weapons (i.e. the boring ones)
Old 08-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #5
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by near_blind View Post
Not entirely true. Our F-14B does have some kind of GPS: The LANTIRN!
The LANTIRN has a GPS reciever of its own and while it is not tied into the F-14 NAV system you can still manually use the GPS-coordinates provided by the LANTIRN.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
Chaogen

Besides that the INS system is more than capable of letting a RIO punching in Co-Ordinates and navigating there (or marking the map and asking Jester to do it), even doing ripple MK-82 bomb toss like Jabbers did early on.
Chaogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
JOEM423

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
The LANTIRN has a GPS reciever of its own and while it is not tied into the F-14 NAV system you can still manually use the GPS-coordinates provided by the LANTIRN.

I More Than Second That Vote for the Panavia Tornado. Bith versions, IDS and the specialized ground attack. I want to do some NOE under the radar flying. Its a rush. Im not wrong...……..

Joe
JOEM423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
near_blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEM423 View Post
I More Than Second That Vote for the Panavia Tornado. Bith versions, IDS and the specialized ground attack. I want to do some NOE under the radar flying. Its a rush. Im not wrong...……..

Joe
What does a thread asking if our F-14 has an EGI have to do when bargain rate F-111 impersonators?
Old 08-21-2019, 02:37 AM   #9
flashben

The F14B Heatblur modeled does have a GPS Dome on its spine.
flashben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Does that mean one could use the LANTIRN pod to generate coordinate correction points for the main INS on the fly?
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote