State of RN-24/28 Oct 2017

Horns

These must be the most talked about unguided weapons in DCS World, and I guess that's not surprising. I've seen a lot of threads talking graphics issues with these bombs and their effects. It was very difficult to place which posts spoke of problems that have been fixed, postss where people believed a solution was on its way, posts about effects that were relevant before EDGE, threads about the expected effects of the move to EDGE, posts mentioning issues since EDGE and so on. Rather than trying to infer, interpolate and composite the current situation I've chosen to post this request for information as it stands now.

So, to the questions...

A) Are both the RN-24 and RN-28 visible to all including the pilot who drops them, and are their effects visible to all as well?

B) Are the visuals of these two bombs displaying as the (current) devs intend?

C) I believe that the true "nuclear" explosion is not modelled in DCS World (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong on this), have there been any additional cosmetic effects added or modified for these bombs in the last two years or so?

D) Is the MiG-21 BIS module in its final form now (bugfixes aside) or are further changes planned?

Thanks for reading, sorry to ask old questions again, and I hope I adequately explained why I am doing so.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

The best is to ignore this kind of bomb. Nobody uses them online, and they will never achieve the eye candy state that every people asking questions about it secretly phantasms about.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

The best is to ignore this kind of bomb. Nobody uses them online, and they will never achieve the eye candy state that every people asking questions about it secretly phantasms about.

Thanks for replying. I tend to agree, if it doesn't look like a nuke and doesn't work like a nuke it's tough to see the relevance, unless of course it fills the role of a nuke in the campaign...

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

Besides the visual effects, destruction effects are unreliable and not consistent. Consider these bombs as educational material only.

Ok cool, thanks for the info, you helped me avoid a disappointing purchase :thumbup:

Ok cool, thanks for the info, you helped me avoid a disappointing purchase :thumbup:

Mig-21, my most used aircraft.

RN-24/28, my most used weapon.

Both excellent, when used with imagination.

24 not usable due to a bug (for me), but 28 still OK.

Control panel graphic not working, but usable.

Version 1.5.7.101. SP

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Paid money for it, is our squadrons most flown aircraft.

Losing features to bad maintenance of codebase is not good.

Looking forward to more fixes from magnitude to iron out issues with the Mig-21LN. Let's keep Mig being high quality and get rid of the problems that have plagued this aircraft for years.

(ASP, cockpit lighting etc)

Edited by Deathbane

V.O.D.K.A. Squadron: Northern Wolves - Red ones go faster!

Mig-21, my most used aircraft.

RN-24/28, my most used weapon.

Both excellent, when used with imagination.

24 not usable due to a bug (for me), but 28 still OK.

Control panel graphic not working, but usable.

Version 1.5.7.101. SP

Paid money for it, is our squadrons most flown aircraft.

Losing features to bad maintenance of codebase is not good.

Looking forward to more fixes from magnitude to iron out issues with the Mig-21LN. Let's keep Mig being high quality and get rid of the problems that have plagued this aircraft for years.

(ASP, cockpit lighting etc)

Thanks Deathbane. It seems like the consensus is that this module is still pretty buggy so I'll wait for some more fixes before I buy this.

Holbeach, thanks for the alternate viewpoint on the RN-28, are there included standalone or campaign missions that are based around delivering it?

Holbeach, thanks for the alternate viewpoint on the RN-28, are there included standalone or campaign missions that are based around delivering it?

I think the Mig-21 is outstanding, but I only use it for ground attack.

You're missing out if you don't get it.

I can't use the RN-24, as I get destroyed with the target, (about the same time Magnitude took over), but the RN-28 is still usable.

I only ever use my own missions.

Here's one for the RN-28. no ASP required.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Thanks Deathbane. It seems like the consensus is that this module is still pretty buggy so I'll wait for some more fixes before I buy this.

It is pretty buggy, but the majority of bugs are nowadays very minor. No longer are we in the days missiles don't work, or the radar doesn't work, or other some such. The main issues remaining are dodgy countermeasures, and framerate when in cockpit (its very demanding so in VR its alot less smooth than other modules)

It is still an excellent aircraft to fly in all roles, it does everything acceptably. With GCI support we've used it successfully as a squadron in some quite challenging environments (although attrition rate in modern scenarios is obviously high).

What IS there however is extremely high quality. Despite the above issues its still my favourite aircraft to fly in DCS thats close to full fidelity, and I can forgive some of the inconsistencies as the Mig-21 is my favourite aircraft.

I'd recommend just waiting for the next patch and grab it then, it'll be more than worth the wait and i can imagine it being really awesome in 2.5 when the merge occurs.

As for the nukes... the nukes are awesome. Even if they arnt really overly modelled or the 'eye candy' isn't good, it makes for interesting tactical missions in COOP. Ill never forget when in MP one of our guys armed his nuke before take off, took off, and it slid off the rail as he pulled too many gs :doh::D

Airfield and entire flight disappeared...

V.O.D.K.A. Squadron: Northern Wolves - Red ones go faster!

Don't tell me that you just want to nuke… :disgust:

The MiG-21bis module in its current state is still enjoyable a lot, in many ways, as I can read here.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Don't tell me that you just want to nuke… :disgust:

The MiG-21bis module in its current state is still enjoyable a lot, in many ways, as I can read here.

The influence an a/c can wield on the battlefield is much of what attracts me to a module, while the challenges of learning it are what give me pause.

The challenges of learning a module make me more cautious about buying it, and they set the bar the a/c's battlefield influence must exceed.

While I applaud the devs for modelling the limitations of this airframe's systems, they do pose a significant challenge and they would make this a/c more difficult to learn than any more recent a/c. When I considered these along with the outstanding issues with this module (as expressed in this forum), that set a pretty high requirement for battlefield influence.

The RN-24/28 nukes might offer this MiG more battlefield influence than any other airframe in DCS, and could have seen it exceed my battlefield influence to module challenge requirement. The problem is that if the outcome of successful employment isn't faithful in effect or at least appearance, this ceases to be the weapon it claims to be. If the campaign had at least framed the historical relevance of the nuclear capability it might have changed my mind.

Once I have more experience the challenge won't be as intimidating, and this airframe's place in history will be enough reason to buy it, even without the nuke.

Edited by Horns
Bad cut and paste

It is pretty buggy, but the majority of bugs are nowadays very minor. No longer are we in the days missiles don't work, or the radar doesn't work, or other some such. The main issues remaining are dodgy countermeasures, and framerate when in cockpit (its very demanding so in VR its alot less smooth than other modules)

It is still an excellent aircraft to fly in all roles, it does everything acceptably. With GCI support we've used it successfully as a squadron in some quite challenging environments (although attrition rate in modern scenarios is obviously high).

What IS there however is extremely high quality. Despite the above issues its still my favourite aircraft to fly in DCS thats close to full fidelity, and I can forgive some of the inconsistencies as the Mig-21 is my favourite aircraft.

I'd recommend just waiting for the next patch and grab it then, it'll be more than worth the wait and i can imagine it being really awesome in 2.5 when the merge occurs.

As for the nukes... the nukes are awesome. Even if they arnt really overly modelled or the 'eye candy' isn't good, it makes for interesting tactical missions in COOP. Ill never forget when in MP one of our guys armed his nuke before take off, took off, and it slid off the rail as he pulled too many gs :doh::D

Airfield and entire flight disappeared...

Haha oh dear. I have to ask: how many people screamed "noooooo!" at the same time on comms? :megalol:

It's good to know that the state of this module isn't so dire nowadays. I'm still at a very early point in my development in my development as a pilot, so I won't get this just yet, but I will certainly get this at some point. Aside from more involved startup and controls, how would you rate the difficulty of flight and weapons employment in this MiG-21 vs the FC3 Su-27?

I still suck way too much to consider mp, but once I am competent I will be there. I can definitely see why the nuke would enable some interesting tactics. Is toss bombing a skill that must be developed, or is it pretty straightforward once you're told how?

I think the Mig-21 is outstanding, but I only use it for ground attack.

You're missing out if you don't get it.

I can't use the RN-24, as I get destroyed with the target, (about the same time Magnitude took over), but the RN-28 is still usable.

I only ever use my own missions.

Here's one for the RN-28. no ASP required.

Using my hatred of SAMs against me is totally unfair :P

I see why it would be attractive for A2S. Without the RN-28 featuring in the campaign, I can see why it could open up interesting options for mission creation. With the right changes in the mission editor, I could finally give those three pesky trucks in the Su-25T CCRP training what's coming to them :lol:

There is a new conventional bomb explosion being worked on. It might make a better nuke explosion as well.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

There is a new conventional bomb explosion being worked on. It might make a better nuke explosion as well.

Oh ok sweet, that could be cool, ta :)