Black Sea Region Theater?

mytai01

Why isn't the whole Black Sea Region being developed as a map? They used to have the Crimean peninsula and that was just abandoned. There seems to be a lot of potential for this whole area...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Back in the days of 32 bit, they couldn't include it all due to memory address limitations. When they added Eastern Georgia they cut Crimea.

Maybe it will come back someday.

If I remember correctly there was an airfield on the southern coast of the Black Sea as well.

ED have said before they won't, because of political reasons.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

i would rather see the map extend south and east to open up scenarios around the caspian and Nagorno karabakh

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Can you point to a source on that' date=' that seems absurd, and possibly just an excuse.[/quote']

Indeed, it is quite absurd that politics is the reason why were not seeing Crimea, though I have seen that one pop-up a few times before...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

If I remember correctly there was an airfield on the southern coast of the Black Sea as well.

That was actually a mod that placed Merzifon AB on the map. The reasons for the exclusion have varied over the years. The original reason bandied about was copyright infringement threats from Ubisoft (with whom ED partnered in producing the original series located in Crimea). Later the reason given was the limitations of the system (Matt Wagner 2008). And, most recently, since the Russian takeover in Crimea, the reason heard is "politics".

Some, all, or none may still be true. I'd be glad to get Crimea back if it were with the level of detail contained in the original. Without that (and even with it), it's a lot like flying around the Taman Peninsula above Anapa. Pretty flat and wide open except for a line of hills along part of the southern shore. OTOH, it would still be an expansion of terrain. So these days I have mixed feelings about it.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I just don't buy the politics reason' date=' it has nothing to do with modelling a geographic region, hell google earth models/maps everything and no one is complaining about that....[/quote']

OTOH, Google Earth isn't a Russian company based in Moscow.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Can you point to a source on that' date=' that seems absurd, and possibly just an excuse.[/quote']

They've since edited the comment on FB, but I can confirm it was there and what it said.

It's either to do with ED being a Russian company, or a contractual hold over from the earlier Flaming Cliffs / LOMAC which had it, but was published by Ubisoft (EU) / 1C (RU).

Doesn't matter either way, we'll never be told the real reason and they've been clear we're not getting it anyway. Case closed.

DCS doesn't require any reason to model OR to not model any particular regions other than Economics and Necessity to achieve DCS's overall plan.

They are providing multiple landscape and geographic maps.

How much area does each need to be ? And does more area mean more options or just more of the same ?

It doesn't matter what DCS's reasons are.

SnowTiger:joystick:

The fact that this company is in Russia does mean they can't make the whole map, nor give us clickable modern Russian airplanes. the Russian government could shut ED down anytime they want. I believe that they would if ED didn't do exactly as they say...every place in the world doesn't enjoy the same freedoms, sad to say...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Is hardware limitation an issue? Isn't it just the part of the terrain around the aircraft that gets loaded into memory at any given time? Or would it increase the system load to expand the map?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

The fact that this company is in Russia does mean they can't make the whole map, nor give us clickable modern Russian airplanes. the Russian government could shut ED down anytime they want. I believe that they would if ED didn't do exactly as they say...every place in the world doesn't enjoy the same freedoms, sad to say...

------ED better move to Iceland, Swiss or Czech:D

I don't think that Russia is what USA perceived it in the 60s.

The FM of Su27/33 should be far more strategic than some villages around Black Sea.

The best reason we don't have a bigger area around Black Sea must be a simpler one. Resources/Benefit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least