9M and magic on C101 are rear aspect only?? [FIXED]

Rabbisaur

Did you get an actual head-to-head kill with the L-39?

The aspect at which you can fire a missile is missile-dependant and not aircraft dependant. If you can fit an R-60M (all aspect IR missile) on an L-39, that L-39 can achieve a head-to-head missile kill.

I agree with OP that the -9M and Magic II being rear aspect only on the C-101CC is a bug (or a mistake? I've observed it too). The real missiles are all aspect, and the airframe on which they are mounted does not affect it.

F-5 | Mirage | Huey | Mig-21 | Ka-50 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B

L39 cannot fire ”head to head”. C-101 suffers same issue as the Hawk did (Aim-9M rear aspect only).

You are right that the coding is in Aviodev’s hands, but this is an issue that has affected several modules over the years.

You can shot R60 head 2 head on L39

The aspect at which you can fire a missile is missile-dependant and not aircraft dependant. If you can fit an R-60M (all aspect IR missile) on an L-39, that L-39 can achieve a head-to-head missile kill.

I agree with OP that the -9M and Magic II being rear aspect only on the C-101CC is a bug (or a mistake? I've observed it too). The real missiles are all aspect, and the airframe on which they are mounted does not affect it.

You are correct about real world implementation. But real world has nothing to do with DCS code. The missile "lock" or "Launch Authorized" are module dependant in DCS. In flight the missile will use rear / all aspect capabilities. But until launched it is up to the aircraft.

That is why on C-101CC, Aviodev has to code the lock/launch parameters so missile can be fired as all-aspect. It is up to the aircraft module until the missile fly through the air.

@Rabbisaur: I highly doubt that you can get a proper lock and launch head on with L39. But if you can - great, in that case a bug since release has been fixed :)

Edited by Schmidtfire

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

To bump this thread up again. Any news about the all aspect capability of the AIM9M and Magic missile? This jet is way too much fun in the BVR area on a server I like. But it would be more fun if I could surprise the bandits by slow flying and shooting missiles head on. At the moment the seeker seems way too unsensitive even when trying to lock the back of an aircraft.

I am on free trial at the moment. But for a full price 80$ module I would expect the missiles to work correctly.

1 hour ago, darkman222 said:

To bump this thread up again. Any news about the all aspect capability of the AIM9M and Magic missile? This jet is way too much fun in the BVR area on a server I like. But it would be more fun if I could surprise the bandits by slow flying and shooting missiles head on. At the moment the seeker seems way too unsensitive even when trying to lock the back of an aircraft.

I am on free trial at the moment. But for a full price 80$ module I would expect the missiles to work correctly.

My hope is that they'll figure this out for the Mirage F-1 and port the fix over to the C-101.  The issue is caused by the mix of rear-aspect and all-aspect missiles that the C-101 carries.

Well $60. But still a full price non-early access module and $10 more expensive than the almost fully functional Mig19 in early access.

Thats not a minor bug but a big tactical disadvantage the price does make no excuses for.

So basically the DCS code cant handle a mix between rear aspect and all aspect missiles capabilities in one aircraft? But it can handle different sensitivities and seeker head gimbal limits like the aim9m and aim9x mix in the F16? Well okay then...

Fingers crossed...

7 hours ago, kontiuka said:

My hope is that they'll figure this out for the Mirage F-1 and port the fix over to the C-101.

Edited by darkman222