Why so slow?

• ED Team

FOV makes a difference, especially if on a 2d screen.

VR makes it feel even better, but this is still a simulation of real life, not real life. :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

FOV makes a difference, especially if on a 2d screen.

VR makes it feel even better, but this is still a simulation of real life, not real life. :)

Ok :)

So I can try to adjust the FOV mabe? I know if I zoom more out, it feels faster though.

Not only in this Aircraft but in all the Aircrafts in the game, it does not feel realistic when it comes to speed. Only if you fly some feet over the ground you can "feel" it moves. Why?

It looks completely different in real:

https://www.facebook.com/royalairforce/videos/576575362976661/

Havremonster, check out this video on FOV settings and try some adjustments. I found it changes the speed perception and the proper look of the terrain as the default settings are designed around maximum FOV without consideration that head tracking is used. It starts off way to fisheyed if you ask me.

JUICE

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Havremonster, check out this video on FOV settings and try some adjustments. I found it changes the speed perception and the proper look of the terrain as the default settings are designed around maximum FOV without consideration that head tracking is used. It starts off way to fisheyed if you ask me.

JUICE

Thank you very much :) I will check it out :)

I concur with the OP.

Sometimes I have that same sensation of a very slow relative motion to terrain.

It's more obvious over the default Caucasus scenery than on Normandy ( the only two scenery areas I have installed ).

I agree that adjusting FoV may help, but it sometimes feels really weird.

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

If I may make a suggestion, even if not really inline with real, maybe some sound trick to try enhance the speed impression could help a lot with this lack of speed feedback?

I agree it's very difficult in DCS to get a feel of the speed.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Oh, but I do have my wife at home now while playing DCS... Isn't that enough of Butt Kicking already ?

True words indeed:thumbup: I do agree that the sense of speed seems lethargic in dcs, but combo vr and buttkicker does help. I think sometimes allot of the populace is conditioned from youtube videos and they look very speedy i think due to the GoPro lenses.

But then again all the aircraft I have been in and jumped out of it is certainly faster feeling in the Real.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

True words indeed:thumbup: I do agree that the sense of speed seems lethargic in dcs, but combo vr and buttkicker does help. I think sometimes allot of the populace is conditioned from youtube videos and they look very speedy i think due to the GoPro lenses.

But then again all the aircraft I have been in and jumped out of it is certainly faster feeling in the Real.

Yes, it's a complex problem, the representation of 3d in 2d, and I do have some experience flying IRL since 1980, gliders, so..., a lt slower than a 109 configured for landing in most of my approaches :-) and yet, I do have a rather different sensation from my glider...

There was an option that I once tried in the Graphics settings of DCS ( "Depth of Filed" ) but it was a true frame rate killer.

May I suggest that the WWII warbirds ARE slow by comparison to the jets we normally fly in DCS. In the Spitfire, you are cruising somewhere between 240 and 280 mph - that equals 208 to 243 knots. in a dive with power on, 400 mph = 347 knots (cruising speed for most jets), and 500 mph = 434 knots. If you fly at 208 knots in any jet, it feels slow, too. Plus, your altitude affects your perception of apparent speed. The higher you are, the slower it feels like you are traveling.

May I suggest that the WWII warbirds ARE slow by comparison to the jets we normally fly in DCS. In the Spitfire, you are cruising somewhere between 240 and 280 mph - that equals 208 to 243 knots. in a dive with power on, 400 mph = 347 knots (cruising speed for most jets), and 500 mph = 434 knots. If you fly at 208 knots in any jet, it feels slow, too. Plus, your altitude affects your perception of apparent speed. The higher you are, the slower it feels like you are traveling.

In my case the problem actually comes to play when flying low, not high.

Configured for landing, and in the short final, sometimes it looks strangely slow motion when you look around.

Also, I don't fly any jets in DCS - just WW2 stuff :-), and waiting for the announcement of a ww2 military glider .... :pilotfly:

What helps is for me feeling the air.

To increase the immersion and to make the flight conditions tangible I experimented a little bit with boat fans in the last months, which I controlled in real time with flight parameters. First I controlled 2 of these fans with TrueAirspeed and was already very excited about the effect that I could suddenly feel the speed. Next I experimented with adding the lateral G-forces to both fans. With this I could suddenly feel if the plane was in a slipping flight condition. I thought that was great and I couldn't help it, I had to add the angle of attack. For this purpose I mounted a third boat fan near the paddlesl and a 4th above the monitor and what can I say - I am totally enthusiastic.

When the angle of attack gets bigger, the lower fan now blows a faster airflow past the joystick hand under the chin while the upper fan slows down the airflow accordingly. Together with the two lateral fans, an airflow around the head is created at all times, which matches the flying condition of the machine. With a negative angle of attack, the wind that blows over the head from above is correspondingly greater while the airflow from the footwell is weaker. Also when flying Acro, the airflow always matches the flight condition, because the boat fans regulate very quickly. Following the 3 videos in reverse order of origin:

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I don't completely agree. While it's true the speed and altitude perception can be tricky in sims compared to real life, DCS has the best (which doesn't mean it's perfect though) feeling of all I know, the closet to RL I have experienced. Of course that FOV setting and personal hardware is a different kettle of fish which can enhance likewise worsen the thing, but "out of the box" it's pretty good IMO.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice