2 vs 3 bladed prop

TheSkipjack95

Hello,

Quick question. I ran performance tests with both props to see if having a third blade made a difference.

Parameters tested : Takeoff distance, Initial climb, cruise.

From what I gather I should see better performance in the climb, but a loss of cruise speed.

However all measurements were the same between the propellers.

(200m, 5-6m/s, 270km/h)

Are the differences not yet implemented/purely cosmetic/non existant in the Yak52 ?

Hello,

Quick question. I ran performance tests with both props to see if having a third blade made a difference.

Parameters tested : Takeoff distance, Initial climb, cruise.

From what I gather I should see better performance in the climb, but a loss of cruise speed.

However all measurements were the same between the propellers.

(200m, 5-6m/s, 270km/h)

Are the differences not yet implemented/purely cosmetic/non existant in the Yak52 ?

Also, there's a graphical glitch, at least with my GPU ( GTX 960 ) when the 3-blade version is chosen. Strange graphic artifacts in the "propeller disk"...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Oh, it only happens to one of the skins ? I'll try with a few then... but since apparently there is no difference in performance, maybe I should rather wait for latter updates...

Yep, the info is in the linked thread ;)

Btw, since we don't know e.g. which blade angles the 2 and 3 bladed props are using, how do we know where the performance differences are?

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Yep, the info is in the linked thread ;)

Btw, since we don't know e.g. which blade angles the 2 and 3 bladed props are using, how do we know where the performance differences are?

Generally 3 bladed props allow to better output the engine power, ie give more thrust, which is why I tested climb rate ( at the same speed I would expect a higher VSI reading ).

However, they are draggier, ( more surface area bc of the third blade ) so I expect a lower cruise speed.

There's plenty of info on the web.

I don't know how all of this applies to the yak specifically, but I would assume that the military trainers use the two bladed prop because aerobatics aren't the primary use, but the privately owned aerobatic ones use the three bladed props because it's always nice to have some energy.

The question remains : is there supposed to be a difference in DCS, or is it purely cosmetic/no difference because of the design.

Here's someone who owns a modded Yak-52 (taildragger, completely retractable main gear, 400hp engine, 3-bladed Mühlbauer prop) who also sais it has more thrust than the standard 2-bladed prop.

It's in German though, I guess most people won't understand what he's telling.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

BTW, how can we switch between the 2 blade and the 3 blade prop?

It's set in the mission editor. I believe under one of the tabs there.

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

anyone figure out if the're an actual performance different between the two prop versions? the gross weight of the plane doesn't change at all

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules