HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

However, I believe this will mean running DCS through Steam. Regarding Pixel Density, the HP Reverb displays 25 pixels per degree, to give you some idea, the HTC Vive Pro produces 14 and the Rift 7.

Quick question, when you use your Touch Controllers in the cockpit how do you control pitch, roll, trim, dcms etc? Normally, you’d use a HOTAS stick so how do you handle it now?

That PD for a cv1 rift is way too low most credible numbers have it in the low teens and the Vive pro in the mid to high teens.

You use the hotas, then if you want to use the touch controller you pick it up to click stuff, its pretty inelegant. Glowes and hand tracing are coming soon.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

However, I believe this will mean running DCS through Steam.

Nope, it'll be the same as current WMR headsets - you use SteamVR but it's perfectly compatible with the standalone DCS. I use the Odyssey right now on standalone DCS with SteamVR - SteamVR starts automatically when you launch the standalone game.

Just canceled my B&H Odyssey+ backorder and decided to go with the HP Reverb. Jut put myself on the HP notification list. Once I get my $300 back, the Reverb will only cost me $300 wink wink. That's what I told the wife anyways :). I wonder what's going to show up on my door first the 5K+ or the Reverb. Never got my Pimax yet :(.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

A guy calling himself TomVR over on hoggit has tried the Reverb at the GDC. I quote his comment.....

"Its ##### SHARP, like in reading five point font sharp".

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Nope, it'll be the same as current WMR headsets - you use SteamVR but it's perfectly compatible with the standalone DCS. I use the Odyssey right now on standalone DCS with SteamVR - SteamVR starts automatically when you launch the standalone game.

Apologies, I should have been more clear, I was referring to SteamVR, and as a Rift Home fan being bound to SteamVR software was a potential issue for me.

That PD for a cv1 rift is way too low most credible numbers have it in the low teens and the Vive pro in the mid to high teens.

Agreed, 7 is for DK1 Cv1 is 13-14 and the HP Reverb 25.

Ps. Thanks for the heads up re. Touch controllers and HOTAS.

Edited by twobells

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rig: W10 PRO 64 bit, Intel 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Code, 32GB G-Skill Ripjaw DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 1TB M.2 970PRO SSD Primary HDD, 4TB Storage, TH Warthog, Oculus Rift, 27" Samsung 4k Display. 2x Wheel Stand Pro v2 (Hotas & Stick) + Warthog Stick Adaptor

Quick question, when you use your Touch Controllers in the cockpit how do you control pitch, roll, trim, dcms etc? Normally, you’d use a HOTAS stick so how do you handle it now?

In X-plane you can get the virtual Yoke with your hands, and you move it by inclining the touch, you can control pitch and roll we enougth precision for whats normally required on a civil flight, I love it ...

Then I tryed the same control scheme with VTOL, a combat flight game, and it doesn't work at all, you need a joystick/HOTAS for fast manoeuvers.

Maybe one day with touch controller with strong haptic feedback it could be a thing, but I think we'll have HOTAS+gloves much sooner.

Really excited about the HP Reverb here too. I'll be getting one ASAP after release. Pimax 5k I'm liking, and the Odyssey+ has been fantastic too, especially for the price now.

Time will tell if the top end gaming PCs will perform at a playable level in DCS with the Reverb. I only wonder what difference the LCD over OLED will make.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Really excited about the HP Reverb here too. I'll be getting one ASAP after release.

Have you or anyone else seen pre-order pages for the HP Reverb? edit. It seems the Microsoft Store is the go to place for Windows MR hmd’s; however, it seems Samsung has not released the Odyssey Plus in the U.K. / EU yet.

Edited by twobells

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rig: W10 PRO 64 bit, Intel 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Code, 32GB G-Skill Ripjaw DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 1TB M.2 970PRO SSD Primary HDD, 4TB Storage, TH Warthog, Oculus Rift, 27" Samsung 4k Display. 2x Wheel Stand Pro v2 (Hotas & Stick) + Warthog Stick Adaptor

Guys I've read somewhere that the new headset including the HP could start to make use of foveated rendering.

Is there anything about it yet? Even with no eyetracker inside is it possible to downgrade the resolution on the pheripheral vision to help run this headset on lower end cards like the GTX1070?

If this can be done somehow I will definitely go for this one, and play like that until I can justify a 2080ti upgrade to my girlfriend... or finance it in multiple instalment and tell her I'm going to the gym now.

OLED is the Rift is not really representative for OLED screens, it has been adjusted to not go full black. So if you're fine with the Rift, then you should be fine with LCD headsets too.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

OLED is the Rift is not really representative for OLED screens, it has been adjusted to not go full black. So if you're fine with the Rift, then you should be fine with LCD headsets too.

So yo are telling that the differences I see between Rift and GO are only on my imagination ?

I think you'll notice only in Night missions.

I have Rift(OLED) and GO(LCD), and I can see the diference only in dark games.

A grey rather than black image?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is anyone else bothered by the god rays in rift? They feel quite strong and seem to vary a lot unit-to-unit. Most folks are conserned about the SDE while I am not bothered by that at all. The rays are much more disturbing for me and they were strongly present in vive pro, too, that i tested.

What about the other headsets and rift s and reverb in particular? I did not notice rays being mentioned in youtube clips.

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

Is anyone else bothered by the god rays in rift? They feel quite strong and seem to vary a lot unit-to-unit. Most folks are conserned about the SDE while I am not bothered by that at all. The rays are much more disturbing for me and they were strongly present in vive pro, too, that i tested.

What about the other headsets and rift s and reverb in particular? I did not notice rays being mentioned in youtube clips.

I truthfully never really notice them, same with the SDE as I find myself focusing more on beyond the SDE.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So yo are telling that the differences I see between Rift and GO are only on my imagination ?

No, I'm telling you that there's a difference between OLED in Rift and OLED in other more modern headsets like Samsung Odyssey+.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

However, I believe this will mean running DCS through Steam. Regarding Pixel Density, the HP Reverb displays 25 pixels per degree, to give you some idea, the HTC Vive Pro produces 14 and the Rift 7.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hp-reverb-gives-microsoft-vr-a-high-res-boost/

I have an X56 for primary control. I use the touch controllers to manipulate switches, I find it easier than the mouse, at least until they decouple the mouse pointer from head movement!

In Wag’s recent interview, he did say they are close to enabling the use of touch controllers to manipulate stick and throttle too, so what you speak of may soon be possible.

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Guys I've read somewhere that the new headset including the HP could start to make use of foveated rendering.

Is there anything about it yet? Even with no eyetracker inside is it possible to downgrade the resolution on the pheripheral vision to help run this headset on lower end cards like the GTX1070?

If this can be done somehow I will definitely go for this one, and play like that until I can justify a 2080ti upgrade to my girlfriend... or finance it in multiple instalment and tell her I'm going to the gym now.

You might get away with a PD lower than 1 in DCS. Never tried it, but I think it goes lower than 1.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Yes! Rift is the worse, vive is slightly better and the Odyssey is noticeable better then the Vive. I currently have both the vive and odyssey and every time I go back to the Vive the god rays are distracting.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

You might get away with a PD lower than 1 in DCS. Never tried it, but I think it goes lower than 1.

Thats a good point, it does go under 1 and I do recall reading that some guys were doing that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

God rays are basically a function of the screen + optics design. Given the claims about the lenses in the HP, I'd hope it has less.

The foveated rendering of these new hedsets is a fixed one; IMHO it is better to buy a lower resolution HMD and wait for the real 2nd gen that will be variable foveated rendering with eye tracking.

I haven't read anything about the reverb doing any sort of foveated rendering. And I think you will be waiting a very very long time if thats what you consider "real 2nd gen" I think some tech writers latched onto that idea because it "sounds" simple, but in practice FR with eye tracking is incredibly demanding in terms of render times. Just think about how fast your eyes move relative to your head. For FR the headset has to track your eye with almost no latency, send that information to the CPU (more latency), the CPU then has to figure out what you are looking at (more latency), then it has to make the draw calls (more latency), which then get pushed to the GPU, and if you are very lucky you might still be looking at that same spot, or maybe not. Also, from what I've read, Fixed foveated rendering on the pimax apparently looks pretty bad which doesn't surprise me in the least.

One thing people here maybe don't get is exactly how bad/demanding DCS is in VR. With my minimally specced system I can pull 90 frames in many VR games on "high" settings (I play Elite Dangerous on the highest settings and basically never have issues), but I struggle with DCS on fairly low settings. So realistically I can see even a 1070 running the HP set for "normal" VR applications but it will probably not be enough for DCS.

Edited by Harlikwin

Yeah, I run 1080 SLI, and I'll likely need to seriously look at selling both and just buying a 2080ti. It would be amazing if DCS could use SLI, with a card dedicated to each screen, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, if ever. Eventually pushing ever faster clocks and IPC on the GPU will hit the same plateaus that CPUs have, and developers of both hardware and software will start pushing multi-GPU (probably on the same card, with internal SLI), but it's a chicken and egg thing right now.

With GPUs only giving us fairly small incremental improvements each generation, something's got to change significantly or VR hardware available now or very soon won't be driveable for years.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers