Full 8min align, quick option in special tab?

CoBlue

Don't do a cold start...

Have a host stated jet ready.

+1

If you don't have the time for a full cold start, start parking hot. Where's the issue?

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you imagine integrating a VR headset into a real flight helmet, with working mic/headphones? Immersion!!!!!!!111!!one!

HA! funny you should say that...

actually trying to fix my uncle's old flight intercom box to power the mic so I can use that too. headphones work as they are with the pc though. just had to build an adapter to the standard headphone plug (finding the .206" ports was a bit tricky and I actually need find new parts. adapter I built got lost in the move)

3AkVI1p.png

HA! funny you should say that...

actually trying to fix my uncle's old flight intercom box to power the mic so I can use that too. headphones work as they are with the pc though. just had to build an adapter to the standard headphone plug (finding the .206" ports was a bit tricky and I actually need find new parts. adapter I built got lost in the move)

3AkVI1p.png

That's amazing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

If you don't have the time for a full cold start, start parking hot. Where's the issue?

the issue is it is up to the mission makers to provide that is the general argument. and players with less time are subject to their rules (personally like that idea) and forced to start cold instead of choosing and is something that bms does solve unless server removes the option by allowing players to choose their start state. cold, ready to taxi, or on the runway. but not in dcs

That's amazing.

its terrifying in a fight honestly. I have reached for the eject handle more than once. the extra weight of the helmet is actually a bit of a challenge to get used to but adds more than I expected to the experience. does get a little warm at times though I partly blame where I live. but it does feel really good while playing

its terrifying in a fight honestly. I have reached for the eject handle more than once. the extra weight of the helmet is actually a bit of a challenge to get used to but adds more than I expected to the experience. does get a little warm at times though I partly blame where I live. but it does feel really good while playing

I'm in the Tampa area, so I know what you mean. haha.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That actually sucks. 8 artificial minutes for no reason but to do it. Really is dumb. I can understand doing it once.... But after that single time I think the BS simulator will get rather old. I trust Cobra and co. can understand their customers time is worth more than sitting there doing jack. Honestly these are the items which I for one would ask not to be simulated, as its idle waste of time.

On the Air Quake issue.

I detest it.

However it's not for me to dictate how others enjoy their sim.

I simply avoid those servers.

Best option of course is fly with a VFW.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

No pre-aligned setting, but you can use the Stored Heading Alignment which shortens it to 2-4 minutes.

If it isn't degraded compered to Full-Alignment then that's OK...I guess.

I don’t like air-quake either. So no one else should be allowed the option. I don’t care if the mission designers can force required alignments so that I can choose to play in “realistic” servers. Everyone should play like me.

That's one of the most self-centered comment I've ever read!

Isn't that the point of a high fidelity simulator? To simulate real life? If you want quick start/unlimited ammo/easy flight model, I know a great new game that just came out on console/PC.

I'm partially kidding, but not, at the same time. This IS a simulator, after all.

Digital Combat Simulator

This was meant for us with time-constrains, in certain situations.

It's an option that can be turned on/off in server or user settings. AV8B & M2K has it, so it's not an unreasonable question to ask.

Since you're all for simulated realism. I hope you'll consider these situations & adhere to them every time you simulate in DCS.

When you come back to the boat Winchester, for a full rearming & refueling, wait for +20min- Yeah, that's the RL TAT for the F-14.

Repair takes 3min in DCS- not so realistic...

Don't pull Max-G's for for hours in dogfights, DCS isn't calculating pilot's G-fatigue over time! :smilewink:

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

the way I look at it: I get not everyone wants to sit around waiting for the ins. but when I first found DCS (back when was just the ka 50) it was about learning how to fly the planes and work the systems as would be done in real life. I love learning the systems and doing stuff the right way but Im by no means a "full realism" guy. theres more than a few things I know I dont do by the book for my own convenience

brings me to another point of this that seems to be easily overlooked. so what are the actual pilots doing during the INS alignment? everyone seems to just want to go straight into the fight and not have to set up the plane or think while waiting for the ins you are doing absolutely nothing. if you are doing nothing you are probably doing it wrong or missing something potentially important. my choice would be setting up the waypoints and running various checks or just reviewing the mission or even better, watching the map to get a battlefield picture which could be really important in large scale servers that you would not get just doing a fast align and go.

you are entitled to your request which is fine and I have no issue with that. but there are uses for that time both realistically and practically making it a non issue aside from training/aerobatics is mostly what im saying.

also from what ive seen if the SHA is allowed then the alignment finishes in under 3 mins since at a little under 2 it just jumps up several steps a few times instead of the slow crawl. so we already have a faster align method

Pretty much this. Not having any issues with an option if it was there (options are always good and people have reasons to use them), but I guess the 2 minutes with SHA wouldn't be too much anyway. Takes longer than that in pretty much any other module that has INS alignment.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Since you're all for simulated realism. I hope you'll consider these situations & adhere to them every time you simulate in DCS.

When you come back to the boat Winchester, for a full rearming & refueling, wait for +20min- Yeah, that's the RL TAT for the F-14.

Don't pull Max-G's for for hours in dogfights, DCS isn't calculating pilot's G-fatigue over time! :smilewink:

Exactly - for those that say its a sim... then wait the x hours per 1 hour of flight... It is a sim game (that second word is JUST as important as the first) - a real simulator as I understand is intended to be used by people actually going to fly a real plane at some point. This is not that. I would ask that HB consider bending this arbitrary time for the sake of enjoyment. *should be 2 options: "SPEED" align 1 sec and "REALISTIC" 8 min, with the same exact results. As a dude with multiple kids, waiting for x time on the flight deck for NO reason i.e. not loading any textures, loading AI, etc... will quickly get old.

Edit: added last sentence

Edited by Bull0369

Could people clarify what is possible IRL that could be compared to fast/pre alignment? If there is no such thing in the real thing, I guess it's up to the mission builders to find a compromise and see what the community accepts.

If there is only option between full alignment & hot start, server owners will select the appropriate method for their intended scenario. I could even see work arounds via scripts (timer on hot starts before you are able to take off for example).

Maybe let's first discuss the facts before we get into deeper things like how people play the sim? :)

This whole "don't feed airquake" thing is frankly a bit nonsensical. The vast majority of people aren't starting up and flying out expecting to suicide on a missile, and yet some servers do silly things like start jets with zero fuel to punish them for dying to someone who just spammed all 8 AIM-120s on his airplane at you just to barely catch you with the 8th one. That's no more realistic of a loadout or strategy than being aggressive and taking risks, and sometimes taking risks is even the correct choice - within reason.

Facilitating good MP environments involves reducing overhead. DCS already has a LOT of overhead, and doesn't need any help in that matter. I'm fine with a short align since it takes time to ready up anyway, but waiting 8m is likely to make me only fly the F-14 in organized groups or on private missions, and that's not cool either. I disable the align for the Mirage for a reason, and it's not because I just want to die a lot.

This was meant for us with time-constrains, in certain situations.

It's an option that can be turned on/off in server or user settings. AV8B & M2K has it, so it's not an unreasonable question to ask.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Please consider an option.

Thanks.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Could people clarify what is possible IRL that could be compared to fast/pre alignment? If there is no such thing in the real thing, I guess it's up to the mission builders to find a compromise and see what the community accepts.

If there is only option between full alignment & hot start, server owners will select the appropriate method for their intended scenario. I could even see work arounds via scripts (timer on hot starts before you are able to take off for example).

Maybe let's first discuss the facts before we get into deeper things like how people play the sim? :)

Auto Stored Heading Alignment (which we are getting and has been demonstrated in a couple videos already). basically part of the alignment is done before hand significantly reducing the time it takes to align when you start up. drops the time from 8 mins to under 4. still realistic, still faster, and would likely be doing other things while it happens anyway (setting up countermeasures, waypoints, radio, datalink for example) making the request for a "fast align option in the main menu" a little odd since we already have one built into the plane.

this video shows some of the different ways to align.

8:30 is the start of the auto stored heading on land. compare that to the first alignment method which per the plane clock takes 7.5 mins. the auto stored heading alignment takes only 2.1 minutes. personally I think thats plenty short enough
Edited by tekrc

The stored heading can be used. It reduces the alignment time to two minues and is still realistic.

Yeah pretty much this. I imagine it would be very easy for mission designers and server admins to include stored headings in their F14s if they so desire.

Please watch the video from Jabbers, it shows how aligning the INS from stored heading works, and how quick and simple it is:

/sniped again :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I don’t like air-quake either. So no one else should be allowed the option. I don’t care if the mission designers can force required alignments so that I can choose to play in “realistic” servers. Everyone should play like me.

I wholly agree! DCS would turn into War Thunder otherwise!

+1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Exactly - for those that say its a sim... then wait the x hours per 1 hour of flight... It is a sim game (that second word is JUST as important as the first) - a real simulator as I understand is intended to be used by people actually going to fly a real plane at some point. This is not that. I would ask that HB consider bending this arbitrary time for the sake of enjoyment. *should be 2 options: "SPEED" align 1 sec and "REALISTIC" 8 min, with the same exact results. As a dude with multiple kids, waiting for x time on the flight deck for NO reason i.e. not loading any textures, loading AI, etc... will quickly get old.

Edit: added last sentence

wait hours for what? the flight briefing before hand? getting dressed? those are things people already do. get dressed, sit down, read what the mission is, get in the pit, and go. a sim simply simulates. doesnt mean we are about to fly the real thing. but the goal remains the same as in the military sims. to simulate the aircraft in as much detail as possible which has been the goal of DCS from the start and should continue to be without taking unnecessary shortcuts or simplifications for the aircraft itself. not all of the interactions on the ground

I dont know why you call this time "arbitrary" it wasnt just pulled out of a hat. inertial navigation alignment actually takes time. airliners, military aircraft both have to wait for this to be complete. durring that time however the pilots are busy doing the planning actions for the flight. setting flight route for example or planning target ingress/egress.

also we dont need instant ins because we already have the faster stored heading align which is a real thing in the aircraft taking less than 3 minutes and you will be waiting for waypoint entry anyway which will still take time. you arnt just sitting there doing nothing while waiting for the ins and I dont understand where this idea comes from. if youre doing nothing in the 2.5 mins the ins takes in ASHA then you missed something you should probably be doing.

if you honestly cant wait 2.5 minutes for something then go fly the fc3 planes where you dont have to wait on the ins at all. or fly the cat in game mode/avionics (if it works on the cat) to simplify things like you can in other modules. (though I dont know of any servers supporting that off the top of my head)

Edited by tekrc