Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion - Page 80 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 02:33 AM   #791
noxyd

Agree with most comments, great improvements on image clarity and cockpit readability and sharpness.
I can read the M2000 fuel gauge and bandit altitude on radar from default position at PD 1.2.
Performances are excellent without changing previous settings in use with my CV1.

The downsides to me are comfort and FOV :
CV1 was just plug and play, did not have to adjust anything each time.
I find the sweet spot harder to find and narrower.
I also feel that FOV is significantly reduced with more blurry edges.
I cannot tell if this is because of IPD or not, but I feel I'm going to need to adapt to the headset (was more natural on CV1 for me).
Old 05-24-2019, 02:53 AM   #792
j0nx

Got mine hooked up. So far works well without any issues. Resolution is much better but not mind blowingly better. It’s pretty clear though and a definite step up. You can now read most screens and switches without having to lean in as long as the cockpit is illuminated. Sound is fine for me. Performance for me seems smoother than with cv1 for some reason. Just more glass smooth. Colors are much brighter as is the gamma. I had to turn it two notches down in fact it was so bright compared to the cv1. At the moment I have nothing bad to say about it. I’ll move my cv1 over to my main gaming rig now I guess where there’s more room to do room scale stuff unlike in my cockpit area.

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf
j0nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:41 AM   #793
fitness88
Veteran

Do the CV1 drivers and software have to be uninstalled before installing Rift S?
fitness88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:05 AM   #794
j0nx

Nope. I just unplugged the old stuff and plugged in the new and it picks it right up.

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf
j0nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:06 AM   #795
fitness88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
Nope. I just unplugged the old stuff and plugged in the new and it picks it right up.

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #796
fitness88
Veteran

Left eye clear...right eye blurry like I have grease on it. If I move the Rift over to the right a bit then the right eye is clear but the Rift won't naturally stay in that position.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #797
John Hargreaves

Having spent a bit more time with my Rift S in a few different sims, it seems very well suited to flight sims, as the biggest jump in clarity is with foreground detail, i.e. the instrument panel. In driving sims you are looking outside the vehicle much more and I see noticeable but less striking improvement with distant landscape across all sims. I'd say DCS, X-Plane, AFS2 are the biggest winners because of that foreground clarity.
The Bionik Mantis clip on phones are doing a good job too, not fantastic sound, but definitely acceptable and infinitely better than default. For £37 I'd recommend them as a first upgrade as they are attached to the headband and flip out of the way when you need them to, similar to CV1
Old 05-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #798
parxuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness88 View Post
Left eye clear...right eye blurry like I have grease on it. If I move the Rift over to the right a bit then the right eye is clear but the Rift won't naturally stay in that position.
I have exactly the same experience as you. I thought I must have inadvertently touched the lens and got a finger print smear on it.

I'm new to VR and am loving it, but the smear effect is annoying.
Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Aorus GTX1080Ti, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Saitek X52, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TrackIR, GoFlight MCP Pro, EFIS, GF46. Windows 10 x64
parxuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #799
parxuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmatt_BFC View Post
I guess you want my settings that I just switched over to which give me 80 FPS pretty consistently in VR, right?

Assuming so, here ya go. Please keep in mind that I haven't really experimented much to see which settings had the most impact. I pretty much just put everything down to a lower setting than I had been running in the past. Truthfully though, I couldn't really see much of a visual difference between these new lower settings and my maxed out settings from before. Game still looks amazing.

Madmatt
Hey Madmatt

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

I have a new computer, and havent played DCS in years so its been a brain teasing few weeks trying to remember how to set everything up. Adding VR to the mix has really confused things. I did try reading forum posts and watching videos but they often related to older version and things had changed, so I appreciate you letting me know your current settings.

As a complete newbie to VR, I have some dumb questions if you dont mind:

1. What do you set your PD to? I believe this effects sharpness. I certainly am finding it difficult to read some cockpit dials and labels, and especially the digital display in the A10. I have to lean right in to try and make it legible.
2. Your settings show a resolution of 34440x1440. has that go anything to do with the Rift. Mine is set to 1280x1024.
3.When in VR is the display still supposed to show on your monitor? Mine does. Is that how its supposed to be an doesnt that then create additional work for the GPU having to output to 2 devices?
4. Is there a way (like with the TrackIR) you can change the sensitivity of the head movement. I feal like im breaking my neck trying to look behind me. Be great to be able to turn my head less in real life.
Do you use something like VoiceAttack? I have no idea how I am going to get used to not being able to see my keyboard.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again.
Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Aorus GTX1080Ti, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Saitek X52, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TrackIR, GoFlight MCP Pro, EFIS, GF46. Windows 10 x64
parxuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #800
Wexler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness88 View Post
Do the CV1 drivers and software have to be uninstalled before installing Rift S?
Actually I had to uninstall the old and install clean to proceed. But my oculus failed to update after disconnecting old CV1 month ago when I sold it. That probably caused the thing.
Wexler is offline   Reply With Quote