Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Using the neck mod would make no sense. You have a real neck and the DK2 uses absolute positional tracking.

The shoulder settings in DCS should be and probably are, completely ignored in VR mode.

When I start in the A10C, it feels like I'm in the same position in the Rift as I am on the PC monitor. VR cannot fix where the Devs decide to place you in the cockpit and this is why I suggested snap views or maybe even the neck mod. I make adjustments in the A10C by moving my head forward and then press numpad 5, because I feel like my head has been placed in the wrong position if I don't use this method.

The Dk2 might use absolute positional tracking, but in the A10C, it doesn't place you where you should be in the cockpit. Do you really think that's where you should be sat when you start the Sim in the A10C? To me it places the pilots head to close to the upfront control panel instead of him been sat back in his seat. This is why the neck mod was created, because it made you sit back in your seat instead of been in some other weird position.

I might be wrong, but I think they have it like this because it helps you to read the dials in the A10C. I don't have to make any adjustments for the Ka -50 BlackShark or the World War 2 planes. But the BlackShark has large digits on the HUD that you can read when sat back, so this might be the reason this places you in the proper position.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a simple eyepoint adjustment like FSX/P3d is all that's needed.

Yeah, something like a zoom key and Up & Down key to adjust where you are sat in the Cockpit. That way I wouldn't have to duck my head, lean forward and then press the Numpad 5 key to get a good position in the A10C.

This is why the neck mod was created, because it made you sit back in your seat instead of been in some other weird position.

NOPE you are wrong. The neck mod was only required because TrackIR does not have proper ABSOLUTE positioning. If this is the mod you mean by Neck Mod http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116 Go have a read of that page ... Peter explains why he made it. I doubt he would consider it a useful mod for DK2 users.

With the Rift DK2 it is simply enough to have the view reset button 'Num5' and to sit properly in your chair :)

It is also spelt out in the Rift SDK documentation.

Eye To Neck Distance - The Oculus SDK implements a neck model to simulate positional movement of the eyes as you turn your head while wearing a DK1. For example, if you nod your head up and down the center of rotation of the eyes is not at a point on your nose but at a point in your spine called the neck pivot. The vector between the neck pivot and the center of your eyes is defined by a vertical and horizontal distance. The vertical distance is approximately the distance from the corner of your eye to the bottom of your jaw. The horizontal distance is approximately the distance from the corner of your eye to the middle of your ear. These can serve as decent starting points, but each person is different and you should experiment in VR with different lengths to find values that feel correct. Since DK2 uses positional tracking, these parameters are not relevant for DK2 users.

Enough with the neck mod. With a DK2 you just use your own neck and shoulders. Another reason why VR is better.

This is why the neck mod was created, because it made you sit back in your seat instead of been in some other weird position.

NOPE you are wrong. The neck mod was only required because TrackIR does not have proper ABSOLUTE positioning. If this is the mod you mean by Neck Mod http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116 Go have a read of that page ... Peter explains why he made it. I doubt he would consider it a useful mod for DK2 users.

With the Rift DK2 it is simply enough to have the view reset button 'Num5' and to sit properly in your chair :)

Eye To Neck Distance - The Oculus SDK implements a neck model to simulate positional movement of the eyes as you turn your head while wearing a DK1. For example, if you nod your head up and down the center of rotation of the eyes is not at a point on your nose but at a point in your spine called the neck pivot. The vector between the neck pivot and the center of your eyes is defined by a vertical and horizontal distance. The vertical distance is approximately the distance from the corner of your eye to the bottom of your jaw. The horizontal distance is approximately the distance from the corner of your eye to the middle of your ear. These can serve as decent starting points, but each person is different and you should experiment in VR with different lengths to find values that feel correct. Since DK2 uses positional tracking, these parameters are not relevant for DK2 users.

Enough with the neck mod. With a DK2 you just use your own neck and shoulders. Another reason why VR is better.

I do think the idea to be able to adjust the head position with a head "trimmer" is a good idea.

Edited by vicx

Do you own the Rift? Because you are right to a point, but also wrong on some things. You are wrong that just pressing the numpad 5 key positions you correctly in the Cockpit of the A10C. I own the Rift and have already explained this to you. I have to lean forward and then duck before pressing Num 5 in-order to get the correct position in the cockpit. I also said the neck mod might not work with VR and to try a Snap view to get the correct position at the start.

Yep I do own and use the Rift and I already agreed with you ...

I do think the idea to be able to adjust the head position with a head "trimmer" is a good idea.

Maybe you could make mod that puts the VR head in the right place ... but I think it's problematic because people are different sizes and heights and in VR that actually matters. Letting people adjust head pos themselves till it feels right ... will probably work best.

I think we could suggest that to ED and give our reasons.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Yes, the 0800 runtimes are backwards-compatible with programs using the 0700 SDK.

Hopefully we'll see an update from ED soonest. I can surely say that when DSC runs, the flying experience is like nothing else - the sense of speed is wow.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

It should be much more stable in Update 3. I just ran 12 missions back to back without a crash.

The other big item we still need to resolve is the judder. Note that the judder is actually caused by timewarp. More precisely, it actually works only in orientation timewarp, but we have started experiments with positional timewarp by exporting the depth buffer to the Oculus runtime. Without this far distance, pixels are blended incorrectly in between two frames and this appears as image doubling.

That's great to hear, but when are we going to get this fix? A hotfix for dK2 would be good, because we can't run missions in it's current state. Thanks!

When I start in the A10C, it feels like I'm in the same position in the Rift as I am on the PC monitor. VR cannot fix where the Devs decide to place you in the cockpit and this is why I suggested snap views or maybe even the neck mod. I make adjustments in the A10C by moving my head forward and then press numpad 5, because I feel like my head has been placed in the wrong position if I don't use this method.

The Dk2 might use absolute positional tracking, but in the A10C, it doesn't place you where you should be in the cockpit. Do you really think that's where you should be sat when you start the Sim in the A10C? To me it places the pilots head to close to the upfront control panel instead of him been sat back in his seat. This is why the neck mod was created, because it made you sit back in your seat instead of been in some other weird position.

I might be wrong, but I think they have it like this because it helps you to read the dials in the A10C. I don't have to make any adjustments for the Ka -50 BlackShark or the World War 2 planes. But the BlackShark has large digits on the HUD that you can read when sat back, so this might be the reason this places you in the proper position.

You are very right. The A-10C's default position in cockpit isn't the right one. It's more like the position that a real pilot assumes during an attack run or in order to read the edges of the HUD, specially the bottom part.

So, it's a position that it's very convenient in a simulator played in a monitor, but in VR the default eye position must be modified to be more natural.

It turns out that it isn't as simple as (0,0,0), but you can read the "right" coordinates on the Neck mod's files.

I think a zoom button like on a 2D monitor wouldn't go a miss for those who wanted to use it. I would love to be able to zoom in to view the CDU using the DK2, because without it I can't get close enough to it read what it says on the CDU.

Has anybody managed to set something up that allows you to read the CDU in the A10C while using DK2? I use a snap view in the 2D monitor, but can the DK2 use a snap view to good effect?

Now that DCS has fixed the frame rate reading while in the Rift, has anyone with a very highend system been able to attain a steady 90FPS with relatively high game settings? A steady 90+fps could be very important for the consumer Rift and Vive headsets.

I think a zoom button like on a 2D monitor wouldn't go a miss for those who wanted to use it. I would love to be able to zoom in to view the CDU using the DK2, because without it I can't get close enough to it read what it says on the CDU.

Has anybody managed to set something up that allows you to read the CDU in the A10C while using DK2? I use a snap view in the 2D monitor, but can the DK2 use a snap view to good effect?

There is lot of complaining about this. Also there is solution allready for this problem by using opentrack head tracking software which make Oculus Rift working in same way as trackIR did.

Software is free and if you have DK2 you got all hardware you need. Why nobody try it and send report about it instead constantly complaining about it and do nothing.

Only thing you can loose is 15 minutes of your time but you can solve your problems already and will be for free.

There is lot of complaining about this. Also there is solution allready for this problem by using opentrack head tracking software which make Oculus Rift working in same way as trackIR did.

Software is free and if you have DK2 you got all hardware you need. Why nobody try it and send report about it instead constantly complaining about it and do nothing.

Only thing you can loose is 15 minutes of your time but you can solve your problems already and will be for free.

I don't think people want to mess about with other software when Oculus Rift has the best tracking available and an all in one solution. I've just watched a Youtube video of some guy telling everyone how Open Track is easy to setup, but he lost me after about 5 mins LOL.

This thread is in danger of filling up with low quality information and you are not helping things. If you knew how the Rift works you could not seriously suggest this.

I HAVE used and documented my use of the RIFT as a simple Headtracker (aka a TrackIR) using my monitor instead of the HMD BUT this was only worth doing months ago because VR mode in DCS 1.2.xx was not very good and there was no Directmode. Now that we have DCS 1.5 BETA VR mode with Directmode rendering (and MANY other improvements) using the HMD has become more than usable.

Even if someone wanted to test your idea they can't because Opentrack does not have a build for the 0.7 Oculus Rift DK2 Runtime. Your idea is impossible to test and bad. :thumbup:

Edited by vicx

Now that DCS has fixed the frame rate reading while in the Rift, has anyone with a very highend system been able to attain a steady 90FPS with relatively high game settings? A steady 90+fps could be very important for the consumer Rift and Vive headsets.

I think it's a bit hard to answer your question because there's so many factors you have to take into account when it comes to FPS. Free flight is fine with medium setting, but when you start adding to much ai you have to turn Visibility to low and alter your settings more.

Maybe someone can build a map made for VR that doesn't have buildings and things. I think that might help to get a better FPS. Just a flat surfaced map with just hills would be good. I think this would allow you to add more ai then without such a FPS hit. Does anyone know how to turn off the building completely in the current map and I can test this to some degree? I can only switch the building to Low at the moment using Visibility set to low.

this is a request!!

i just ran into this video

it a short clip, but wow, just looking at the 3d-ness through the lens as recorded on a phone looks soooooooooo beyond amazing..

my request is if anyone that is playing DCS with the oculus rift, if someone can record more video through the lens.

thanks!

soooooo excited for CV1

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Hannibal, the phone videos simply do not do justice. Not because of the resolution part - that horse has been beaten to death - but because it's impossible to post *how* your brain is processing the information. Yesterday, I flew the A10 instant action mission. After flying by the SA9 battery, I saw smoke and the missile streak towards my wingman and it was mesmerizing. Then I get the launch alert, smoke, and saw a missile streaking towards me. It flew right by my A10 and I was able to track it the whole way. W/O even realizing it, I yelled out "missile, missile, missile"

Also, when I was rotating my head to see my gun run handy work, I caught myself reaching for the cockpit to help me twist around. LOL.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don't think people want to mess about with other software when Oculus Rift has the best tracking available and an all in one solution. I've just watched a Youtube video of some guy telling everyone how Open Track is easy to setup, but he lost me after about 5 mins LOL.

This thread is in danger of filling up with low quality information and you are not helping things. If you knew how the Rift works you could not seriously suggest this.

I HAVE used and documented my use of the RIFT as a simple Headtracker (aka a TrackIR) using my monitor instead of the HMD BUT this was only worth doing months ago because VR mode in DCS 1.2.xx was not very good and there was no Directmode. Now that we have DCS 1.5 BETA VR mode with Directmode rendering (and MANY other improvements) using the HMD has become more than usable.

Even if someone wanted to test your idea they can't because Opentrack does not have a build for the 0.7 Oculus Rift DK2 Runtime. Your idea is impossible to test and bad. :thumbup:

I don't have OR but I'm interested to get one, probably CV1 so I'm collecting usable information's from here.

My only point is if someone bitching about this problem solution is out there for testing or just get use to it as an realism feature.

In other hand OR is still in developing and we could not expect from OR dev's to have focus on DCS. Our needs from VR set in DCS is specific and OR Developers will do something for us only we provide them good informations and for that we need to test things.

You don't need to use third part software but in this beta stage every one of us have some sort of obligation to test some features at least to prove the concept so OR dev's could build this features in software and get exactly information to see how to do that. Otherwise we cant expect anything from OR dev's if we don't provide them proper informations and proves if some feature worth wile to be work on it.

If we want better optimized product for DCS is not only on ED or OR dev's, it is on us as well. :thumbup:

Now using DCS 1.5/Windows 10/Oculus SDK 0.8/Nvidia 980TI 358.70 drivers

It’s getting a little better with each update, able to read the instrument numbers much better. Also feel as if I'm sitting in the proper place in the cockpit.

Edited by rjetster1

Hannibal, the phone videos simply do not do justice. Not because of the resolution part - that horse has been beaten to death - but because it's impossible to post *how* your brain is processing the information. Yesterday, I flew the A10 instant action mission. After flying by the SA9 battery, I saw smoke and the missile streak towards my wingman and it was mesmerizing. Then I get the launch alert, smoke, and saw a missile streaking towards me. It flew right by my A10 and I was able to track it the whole way. W/O even realizing it, I yelled out "missile, missile, missile"

Also, when I was rotating my head to see my gun run handy work, I caught myself reaching for the cockpit to help me twist around. LOL.

hsb

looking at the video, how the user moves camera left and right shows me how impressive the 3d is for the hud.

but stories like yours, just excites me more and more for the rift and future progress of the DCS series.

i follow the DCS forums, oculus news and hardware news like the nvidia pascal heavily on a daily basis!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179