Joystick analog input filtering

Rabb

It would be really beneficial if we could have an option to implement and adjust joystick analog input (axis) filtering.

Main goal would be averaging (smoothing) input signal when someone is using more or less worn joystick, which potentiometers manifest spikes in signal.

I guess such a feature wouldn't be too difficult to be implemented and added in axis tuning screen. From experience I know it would be very useful and welcomed by a great number of players.

@ShuRugal:

After countless attempts, I finally managed to obtain filtering by using vJoy and Joystick Curves, yesterday. I did a lot of software tweaking during previous years, and used ingame filtering in the other game I've been playing for over a decade, and I can tell you that solution I applied yesterday is not working as good as it can. Also, in the process, driver for the X52Pro throttle completely messed up.

So, I can confirm King_Hrothgar's opinion that external programs aren't good solution.

I would also really like to see the option for low-pass filtering. Many axes on the x52 for example jitter quite a bit, and thus are unusable for most tasks. For example, using the rotaries for setting wingspan in the Dora is recipe for disaster, all that jittering makes me sick.

The option to filter inputs implemented directly into DCS would be a welcome addition.

Callsign "Lion"

I would also really like to see the option for low-pass filtering. Many axes on the x52 for example jitter quite a bit, and thus are unusable for most tasks. For example, using the rotaries for setting wingspan in the Dora is recipe for disaster, all that jittering makes me sick.

The option to filter inputs implemented directly into DCS would be a welcome addition.

Exactly. DCS is control-hungry. Player benefits from HOTAS and many analog inputs as well as buttons/switches.

I also use X52Pro throttle, combined with MS SW FFB 2. All X52 throttles I've tried so far had spiking/jitter, as most joysticks I've used in years.

Implementing such a feature shouldn't be a too big a problem, and it would please vast majority of players.

For instance, I've been playing Il-2 since original release, and that sim/game had the feature implemented, if I am not mistaken, from day one.

Edited by Rabb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

+1

This would be indeed very welcome feature. I tried for example to set one of my free axis on my X52 to control my zoom level but as the axis jitter a little the zoom keep flicking in and out slightly which makes it unusable for this purpose. I noticed that even my throttle axis jitter a little but "luckily" due to the engine lag it's not a problem in this particular case.

It would be nice if there was additional slider in the axis option for smoothing. It could probably do it by a simple average value of X milliseconds (set by the slider) from the input axis or something similar.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Any software filtering option will be translated in lag in your inputs, even it is vJoy or something internal DCS (the filtering principle is the same).

The only real good option is the hardware filtering. LeoBodnar BU0386X have this feature hardware embeded. Same for the MFG pedals.

So, consider hardware tuning by changing your wear pots with new/professional ones or even try to adapt some hall sensors. Is not that complicated and the benefit will exceed any software filtering option.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Great idea, my X52 throttle just developed this. :(

This thread should be moved to the 1.5. Wishlist.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.