S-300PMU2 (SA-20/B Gargoyle) SAM mod

Hi all,

I have been busy the past few days working on my first DCS mod, which aims as adding an S-300PMU2 as an AI unit. I now have reached the point when the mod is usable but I am still having trouble polishing it, so I hope that someone here will be able to help me.

So far, this is what I came up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7hXxDwRzYg&feature=youtu.be

What I've done so far:

• The PMU2 uses the same 3D models & textures as the base S-300PS (will be changed)
  • It has a new weapon system with a new associated 48N6E2 missile (which still use the 3D model of the base game 48N6), but is still compatible with the older 5V55 rounds from the S-300PS (as is the case IRL).
  • It has its own command post and TELs (two TEL models are available, one with the 5V55 and another with the 48N6E2).
  • It comes with new radars, namely the 64N6E2 Big Bird (an improved version of the 64N6E of the S-300PS) and the 30N6E2 Tomb Stone.
  • It coexists with the S-300PS, and is available in the ME as the "S-300PMU2 SA-20B"
  • The performance of the system is as expected, with a max kinematic range of 200km (~110nm) for the 48N6E2 against cooperative targets

Now, the ugly that I hope to improve if I can (any idea/advice would be appeciated):

• The real SA-20B uses a TVM guidance system. This means that the fire control radar, the 30N6E2, is never locked per se on a target and that no RWR lock/launch alert should occur. Because I based my 30N6E2 on the 30N6 of the base game SA-10, my radar does generates such alarms. This is inacurate, but I have been unable so far to find a way to remove altogether any indication of lock/launch. This is the main thing that annoys me right now, as a 100+km launch is easily defeated if the target has a lock/launch warning, as it gives a lot of time to perform evasive manoeuvers. I thought about the TWS mode of most AA radars, but I was not able to locate the relevant code inside the DCS structure.
  • As the SA-10 files were the base for my work, and because I do not understand all variables and parameters, my 64N6E2 is still identified as an "SA-10" on most RWRs. I was not able to dertermine how to change that. If the RWR alerts are defined on a module-per-module basis, I will obviously not be able to change it.

• Because I had no idea about how DCS modding worked until a week ago, I modified some files of the core game which obviously causes an IC fail. The files I modified are the following ones:
    - DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\db_units_cars.lua (to declare my new TELs, CP & radars as ground units)
    - DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\db_countries.lua (to allow countries to have access to these new units)
    - DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\db_sensors.lua (to add the new radars)
    - DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\scripts\missile.lua (to add the new 48N6E2)
    I have tried so see how ED did it with the S-125 SAM Bty included in the DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\tech\TechWeaponPack folder, but my attempts at copying their work has proved unsuccessful so far.

I will release the mod on Userfiles in a few days, either in its current form or as a (hopefully more realistic) standalone. We'll see what I can do. If someone has any idea about this RWR alarm thingie, I'm really interested. :book:

1638822327_101060412_1414458918764042_3034692323620421632_o(1).thumb.jpg.efe35e9160359b88621ca6040fd8cb88.jpg

100619568_1414460635430537_2482023332199792640_o.thumb.jpg.ca970d3670a623c4074fb6812e2f17b4.jpg

• Like 1

S-300PMU2 (SA-20/B Gargoyle) SAM mod

I like to play the role of SAM hunter this game so I really like what are you doing, congratulations. I hope that you can manage those temporally issues.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Hi all,

The performance of the system is as expected, with a max kinematic range of 200km (~110nm) for the 48N6E2 against cooperative targets

That is nice to get to see such a ranges for these long range SAM systems.

The real SA-20B uses a TVM guidance system. This means that the fire control radar, the 30N6E2, is never locked per se on a target and that no RWR lock/launch alert should occur. Because I based my 30N6E2 on the 30N6 of the base game SA-10, my radar does generates such alarms. This is inacurate, but I have been unable so far to find a way to remove altogether any indication of lock/launch. This is the main thing that annoys me right now, as a 100+km launch is easily defeated if the target has a lock/launch warning, as it gives a lot of time to perform evasive manoeuvers. I thought about the TWS mode of most AA radars, but I was not able to locate the relevant code inside the DCS structure.

That is the current limitation of the DCS engine itself, as the detection and guidance systems are super simple. As well are the RWR systems unrealistically simple and radars (especially AI) as well too effective.

Would be nice to see more of these surprise SAM attacks and AI using different methods to engage targets, so that they would really be a major threat to pilots.

Hopefully these would be improved in the DCS Core updates but sadly it could as well mean you need to redo your work with these... :-/

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

That is the current limitation of the DCS engine itself, as the detection and guidance systems are super simple.

True, but AA radars equipped with a TWS mode can guide AAMs without triggering any lock/launch alert, so the code is burried somewhere inside DCS...

• 11 months later...