WIP shots of the FRS1 SEA harrier

=DECOY=

12 hours ago, westr said:

I just think surely they should have researched this more to ensure they could develop it before creating this map

That would bring me to a line of thinking that may be unpopular (especially with Razbam) but: Go back to the initial announcement of a Harrier being made for DCS by Razbam. There was a possibility of either a GR.7 or an AV-8B. Now I was pretty sure from square 1 what was coming (AV-8B), but was gobsmacked when they put up a poll to see what people wanted. I was amazed (but pleased) when the GR.7 came out on top. But we got the AV-8B anyway.

I was sure the AV-8B would be made from the start (before the poll) because, well it's a US aircraft and they probably make up the larger amount of customers (plus those who always go US etc) and when the poll came up, I thought we'd get that as the result.

I know Razbam came up with some reasoning for making the AV-8B instead, but I've got to say I don't really buy it. Surely, any half-competent developer (which they must be) would have checked on these things before making any kind of announcement of intent or even a poll to ask if customers wanted it?

I think they were expecting the AV-8B to win, hands-down, too, and so it didn't matter. Why do the poll in the first place, then? Dunno - maybe they thought there would be some backlash about it being an original British thing, really don't know. I must confess that after the GR.7 was chosen in the poll and the news came out they weren't doing it I lost interest in reading any more about it - just waited until the module was available - still day 1 buy, cos it's a Harrier!

Point I'm trying to make is that a) they don't have a record of making sound "roadmap" decisions, and b) their products as a group, don't seem to follow any kind of logic. Seems to be what they want to build, rather than any kind of "let's do scenario A and build the things involved in that scenario". So pretty much what Mr Smith is saying about DCS as a whole.

Now I'm heading for my bunker...

Edited by Johnny Dioxin
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

2 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

That would bring me to a line of thinking that may be unpopular (especially with Razbam) but: Go back to the initial announcement of a Harrier being made for DCS by Razbam. There was a possibility of either a GR.7 or an AV-8B. Now I was pretty sure from square 1 what was coming (AV-8B), but was gobsmacked when they put up a poll to see what people wanted. I was amazed (but pleased) when the GR.7 came out on top. But we got the AV-8B anyway.

I was sure the AV-8B would be made from the start (before the poll) because, well it's a US aircraft and they probably make up the larger amount of customers (plus those who always go US etc) and when the poll came up, I thought we'd get that as the result.

I know Razbam came up with some reasoning for making the AV-8B instead, but I've got to say I don't really buy it. Surely, any half-competent developer (which they must be) would have checked on these things before making any kind of announcement of intent or even a poll to ask if customers wanted it?

I think they were expecting the AV-8B to win, hands-down, too, and so it didn't matter. Why do the poll in the first place, then? Dunno - maybe they thought there would be some backlash about it being an original British thing, really don't know. I must confess that after the GR.7 was chosen in the poll and the news came out they weren't doing it I lost interest in reading any more about it - just waited until the module was available - still day 1 buy, cos it's a Harrier!

Point I'm trying to make is that a) they don't have a record of making sound "roadmap" decisions, and b) their products as a group, don't seem to follow any kind of logic. Seems to be what they want to build, rather than any kind of "let's do scenario A and build the things involved in that scenario". So pretty much what Mr Smith is saying about DCS as a whole.

Now I'm heading for my bunker...

I hear you and you are completely entitled to give your opinion. I agree with a lot of what your saying. All I will say though is I am actually a big fan of them (RAZBAM), they obviously have some extremely talented people in their ranks. I would go as far as to say in my view they are the best 3rd party developer, but I am a VR only user and their products seem to work exceptionally in VR, maybe with the exception of the SA map. I just think they have lost their way a little with this one.   

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 5:10 AM, Harlikwin said:

Well... Its lame, but they don't have much to work with for the SHAR. However, neither the Gr.1 and Gr.3 had a radar, and Razbam has hinted the Gr.3 might be possible. And as I recall the sooper snoot did serve in the falklands. 

But, per their roadmap...
1. There is still a plenty of work to do on the F15E for all ze weaponz and all ze datalinkz, and all ze new TGPs (god I hope ED actually models FLIR/IR someday that isn't terrible). 

2. The Mig23 is next in the pipeline and I'm hoping its consuming lots of resources. 

3. They have heavily hinted they will do the AV8B+, which would be logical since they can heavily leverage their F15 radar model for that. (ironically so could ED, but for reasons of pride IMO, they are doubling down on FC3 2.0 level radar for their modules which is a shame).

4. The Pucara, Super Taco thing, are also gonna be done at some point. 

Yeah, these all sound like good things to have, but for someone who has no nationalistic/patriotic reasons to feel any attachment to this conflict (i'm neither a Brit nor an Argentinian) i always dreamed of having the chance to fly both the Mirage III and FRS1 over this part of the world. I mean, all these 3 together, meant to me as much as the F-14 and Miramar combined, which says a lot 😕 

• Thanks 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 12/3/2023 at 3:03 PM, WWSmith said:

I've considered that possibility, too, which makes the South Atlantic Map's development even more of a head-scratcher for me.

Yep, absolutely pointless for me now. Which i why i didn't get it, even though it used to be one of the major items on my original wish list in my old signature 😕 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• ED Team

Hi all, 

a reminder, please keep the discussion about DCS, not other sims. Our forum rules can be found at the top of the forum. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 12/4/2023 at 10:49 AM, Johnny Dioxin said:

The RAZBAM "legacy" products was a AV-8B+ and a GR.7, on fact, initialy RAZBAM start to develop other of your legacy as initial module, a T-2 buckeye, but was scraped and move to the M2000C and AV-8B, I think your initial plans was move your old product to DCS but the "license / available info" problems block them. On fact, the RAZBAM AV-8B first news appears on July, 2 2015, the claims about a Gr.7 apears on december, 2015, and the famous poll on january 2016. On february 2016, Prowler put a post over the problems to get info about the GR.7/9, a "Brick Wall". On April 2016 RAZBAM was follow betatesters to test the AV-8B EFM.