MP: VR or headtracking

DerFangzahn

Hi guys,

Just went into VR and I am asking myself if VR is really a thing in MP. Sure, it is immersive but the performance is atrocious. Especially on MP server I get a lot of issues. SP is most of the time fine.

So do you guys prefer VR or head-tracking in MP and is it somehow playable?

And a question to the experienced dogfighter. What is your feeling. What is the better solution for dogfighting. VR or head-tracking?

Thanks

Hi guys,

Just went into VR and I am asking myself if VR is really a thing in MP. Sure, it is immersive but the performance is atrocious. Especially on MP server I get a lot of issues. SP is most of the time fine.

And a question to the experienced dogfighter. What is your feeling. What is the better solution for dogfighting. VR or head-tracking?

Thanks

If you want to play competitive, I'd suggest TrackIR.

For freeflight, VR.

• 2 weeks later...
I've played exclusively in MP and exclusively in VR for a couple of years now, don't see any reason to change. I get a smooth framerate on DDCS, which is probably one of the most unit-heavy MP servers.

I’m interested in this too, could you maybe provide your specs and settings. I went on ‘Through The Inferno Server’ the other day for the first time, I’ve never done anything MP previously and although I wouldn’t say the performance was atrocious, I was wondering if I might expect an improvement with a change in settings or server perhaps.

It looked like I had switched off reprojection at least while I was on the ground. Maybe this server was just too busy, maybe my settings are still to high for MP?

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I also use VR, have flown in DDCS from early stages (big break recently) - and have rejoined the fun a few times over the last month. A hit on FPS, but nothing big. Nothing of notice to the point that it becomes a disadvantage or infuriating by any means. Specs are in signature, no fancy stuff here.

@Willie - I’d recommend adding another 16 gigs of RAM.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I also use VR, have flown in DDCS from early stages (big break recently) - and have rejoined the fun a few times over the last month. A hit on FPS, but nothing big. Nothing of notice to the point that it becomes a disadvantage or infuriating by any means. Specs are in signature, no fancy stuff here.

@Willie - I’d recommend adding another 16 gigs of RAM.

Cheers,

Don

Well that’s encouraging, I did in fact upgrade my RAM to 32G before I tried MP for the first time the other day. Maybe there’s something in having a crack at my settings and perhaps a different server.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Well that’s encouraging, I did in fact upgrade my RAM to 32G before I tried MP for the first time the other day. Maybe there’s something in having a crack at my settings and perhaps a different server.

Well for MP I personally turn the shadows and terrain shadows to off, grass/clutter to zero, never use the lens effect, also turn the water to medium - and delete my FXO and metashader2 files each time before booting DCS - seems to work well for me. I have my PD set to 1.5 and use force IPD to match my real life IPD and the one set with the Oculus. I know the first three settings are on high (texture, terrain and visible distance). If I were at home base, I'd check what the full detail of settings are and paste them in - but won't be back for a few more days.

I don't hold a steady 45 FPS like in SP, but will stay above 20 in MP and don't seem to notice much impact when it gets that low. The occasional dip to the teens happens upon entering the jet initially - but doesn't seem to last for more than a few seconds.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I fly VR with the setup below. It works really well for me.

Don't go crazy with supersampling (via Steam or DCS' built-in Pixel Density) - it'll reduce visibility at long distances.

Northrop F-5E TIGER II

Intel i7-9700k @ 5.0 GHz | GTX 3070 | 32 GB | HTC VIVE PRO 2
Virpil T50 CM2 base + CM2 grip | CM2 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

I fly VR with the setup below. It works really well for me.

Don't go crazy with supersampling (via Steam or DCS' built-in Pixel Density) - it'll reduce visibility at long distances.

Don't think you included the VR setup as intended for the other user...

Cheers,

Don

Don't think you included the VR setup as intended for the other user...

Cheers,

Don

It's in my sig - forgot that some users can't see it though (:

Intel i5-4690k @ 4.6 GHz | GTX 1080 | 16 GB @ 2400 MHz | HTC VIVE PRO

Virpil T50 + CM2 | Logitech X56 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

Edit: Some other tips I have -

- set DCS.exe process priority to High in Task Manager

- close all other memory-heavy apps - especially your browser

Edit2: Settings page. My Pixel Density is 1.0

JpToo7j.png

Edited by DrRed

Northrop F-5E TIGER II

It's in my sig - forgot that some users can't see it though (:

Intel i5-4690k @ 4.6 GHz | GTX 1080 | 16 GB @ 2400 MHz | HTC VIVE PRO

Virpil T50 + CM2 | Logitech X56 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

Oh, apologies. Thought you meant to include settings, rather than system specs. My fault.

Cheers,

Don

Oh, apologies. Thought you meant to include settings, rather than system specs. My fault.

Cheers,

Don

Ahh ok. For completeness sake, I've added my settings page to my last post.

Northrop F-5E TIGER II

Hi guys,

Thanks

For deflection shooting nothing beats VR, so, for WWII I definitely recommend it.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

With the HTC Vive Pro, I use the standard VR Preset on the Options|SYSTEM page, with a PD of 1.4 (default) and I leave the IPD off (HTC has a physical IPD adjustment built into the headset). I can see a fighter sized aircraft from about 7-8 miles away, if I know where to look and it's skylined. However, if it's below me and against the ground textures, and I'm scanning for it - I can't see it until it's within 1NM. (I'm 54 and wear glasses, which I don't wear while playing as the image in the headset is pretty sharp)

As far as framerate goes, it's pretty smooth unless you snap your head from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock. Then you miss a few frames in the transition, but it's extremely short lived.

I can't really compare it to TrackIR as the only experience I have with that setup is from what I've been told by friends who use it.

Note: I did swap the fresnel lens in the headset with convex lens from a cheap smartphone VR headset (samsung)

Wayz Out

Intel Core i9 9900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z390E Gaming MB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

HTC Vive Pro VR | Logitech G x56 HOTAS | Logitech G PRO Pedals

My main issue with 2D headtracking is that it is massively disorientating if you do fast head movement. I miss completely the position and vector of my plane in relation to ground. Or when fixing a plane during a dogfight and trying to maneuver your plane competent.

How do you guys handle this? Can it be trained?

In VR this is more easy. But VR has its own flaws.

Thanks

Well for MP I personally turn the shadows and terrain shadows to off, grass/clutter to zero, never use the lens effect, also turn the water to medium - and delete my FXO and metashader2 files each time before booting DCS - seems to work well for me. I have my PD set to 1.5 and use force IPD to match my real life IPD and the one set with the Oculus. I know the first three settings are on high (texture, terrain and visible distance). If I were at home base, I'd check what the full detail of settings are and paste them in - but won't be back for a few more days.

I don't hold a steady 45 FPS like in SP, but will stay above 20 in MP and don't seem to notice much impact when it gets that low. The occasional dip to the teens happens upon entering the jet initially - but doesn't seem to last for more than a few seconds.

Cheers,

Don

Thanks for that, I’ve looked into the FXO and metashaders2 files now and it looks like it would indeed be some low hanging fruit for ED to assist in performance improvement. I’ll have to give it a go when I get home. Thanks again for your help. It’s amazing how many things can be done to make small incremental improvements to VR performance. At the same time it’s a bit frustrating. I can see why a lot of people would just consider it all too hard.

I’m certainly looking forward to native support for my Reverb. Thanks again.

My main issue with 2D headtracking is that it is massively disorientating if you do fast head movement. I miss completely the position and vector of my plane in relation to ground. Or when fixing a plane during a dogfight and trying to maneuver your plane competent.

How do you guys handle this? Can it be trained?

In VR this is more easy. But VR has its own flaws.

Thanks

You just get use to Trackir, I played for hundreds of hours in VR mainly Il2, but DCS as well, got an ultrawide and went back to Trackir haven't looked back, have a cv1 rift and a samsung odyssey plus just collecting dust now. The performance and visual clarity just aren't good enough.

You just get use to Trackir, I played for hundreds of hours in VR mainly Il2, but DCS as well, got an ultrawide and went back to Trackir haven't looked back, have a cv1 rift and a samsung odyssey plus just collecting dust now. The performance and visual clarity just aren't good enough.

The HP reverb provides what I would call near monitor level "clarity". Its much better than a CV1.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The Reverb is a nearly perfekt VR experience and is far away from an early CV1 experience. It is also mutch better than my old Rift S

If you like VR,try the HP Reverb first.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick: