Mission 8

TLTeo

Is there something I'm missing? You're briefed to climb above the clouds after takeoff. Shortly afterwards, the GCI radar goes down and you are left on your own to look for the two targets - fair enough.

Except, those targets are flying in the clouds, between 3000 and 2000 meters, which is low enough for the radar to pick up almost only ground clutter. On top of that, you are only given a rough vector from the airfield to both, with no additional information. You can get lucky and sort of detect them if you fly above the clouds, but as soon as you bank the aircraft the radar loses track because that's how the radar works. If you try to chase them in the clouds, the clutter increases to the point of losing track.

How exactly am I meant to intercept the bandits? The only way I can think of (other than editing the logbook.lua file to skip the mission) is to anchor over the airfield and wait for them to show up, which frankly is silly.

• 2 weeks later...

It is certainty a challenge. You can use the F10 ruler and marker tools together with some AWAC/GCI picture requests (before it goes down) to plot intial flight paths for each. Given the radar's short range, ground clutter problem, and slow update rate, a head on intercept is very difficult (especially for the first one where you are meant to visually ID it first). Instead, it is better to try to get behind the targets. Both targets will descend before attacking the airfield (presumably to sight their targets) so if you are pretty close behind them, you can kill them then (just watch out for their tailguns). Good luck!