IFF on the Viper

Neon_20

Hello Guys,

Is there a way to avoid blue on blue fire currently on the Viper module?

I'm aware that the IFF is still under development in this early access module, but splashing teammates in BVR in multiplayer is all to easy :unsure:

Thanks

• ED Team
Hello Guys,

Is there a way to avoid blue on blue fire currently on the Viper module?

I'm aware that the IFF is still under development in this early access module, but splashing teammates in BVR in multiplayer is all to easy :unsure:

Thanks

Best way currently is to have good communication, and Visual ID.

The team are working currently on a Simplified IFF we hope to have it with you all soon

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Best way currently is to have good communication, and Visual ID.

The team are working currently on a Simplified IFF we hope to have it with you all soon

thanks

Any plans on an actual and proper IFF simulation like Deka are doing for their upcoming JF-17, which will have IFF on relese?:smilewink:

• ED Team
Any plans on an actual and proper IFF simulation like Deka are doing for their upcoming JF-17, which will have IFF on relese?:smilewink:

We plan to have an initial IFF system but have not settled on the exact mechanisation yet, when we have more news about the IFF we will pass it on.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

We plan to have an initial IFF system but have not settled on the exact mechanisation yet, when we have more news about the IFF we will pass it on.

Would prefer if time was taken to diligently (not saying that it isn't) to work out the IFF instead of a temporary IFF that's being described. That in my opinion creates confusion for players and possibly bad habits when the "proper" IFF is realized.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Would prefer if time was taken to diligently (not saying that it isn't) to work out the IFF instead of a temporary IFF that's being described. That in my opinion creates confusion for players and possibly bad habits when the "proper" IFF is realized.

Would you rather have a temp IFF in the next couple of weeks or wait several months for a proper IFF implementation?

That was rhetorical....

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Much better to have a temporary fix. The brilliant things about being human is that when the full implementation comes we will adopt it easily and quickly.

Some humans may, us other non-humans will get stuck into a mission and realise the IFF doesn't work as it used to after shooting down our wingman.... ;)

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

Joking aside, it would be good to at least have to set the IFF code in order to get a friend ident. That would encourage people to read the brief, if they didn't set their IFF there'd be a chance they got shot down by a friendly...

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

If we could force people to use audio comms like teamspeak or SRS and actually work together instead of trying to be the first to kill something that would be great, but alas. So instead if simple IFF can be done, I would prefer not to get fragged by someone who isn't communicating and just taking potshots. Then they can complain about how realistic IFF'ing is really hard when it gets rolled out. To paraphrase George Carlin, if they figure out how to program their smartphones, they can jolly well figure out how to properly IFF when the time comes.

I wonder how people will react once they find out that there's no easy friend-or-foe HUD indication like in the Hornet. :D

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Joking aside, it would be good to at least have to set the IFF code in order to get a friend ident. That would encourage people to read the brief, if they didn't set their IFF there'd be a chance they got shot down by a friendly...

We've had pilots/ground crew describe before that there isn't a huge deal of difference between what we have now in something like the Hornet and what is 'realistic' because the Mode 4/5 codes are loaded by the ground crew and not entered in the cockpit. Even Deka's JF-17 has the Mode 6 (their mode 4/5 equivalent) IFF codes loaded by default based on coalition and not configurable by the pilot - only mode 1/2/3 are configurable, but they're not the primary IFF mode you'd use in combat. You wouldn't expect any other aircraft to match your mode 2/3 code anyway (as they're meant to be unique to your aircraft) so you'd expect every other aircraft to fail a mode 2/3 interrogation, and mode 1 is a two digit code so hardly secure.

A temporary IFF fix could also be "AWACS declare" function (which by the look of the radio menu in the Hornet, is just around the corner? :bounce:)

That way, everyone's happy. No learning bad habbits, no blue on blue :)

(only "downside", you'd always need awacs support)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

A temporary IFF fix could also be "AWACS declare" function (which by the look of the radio menu in the Hornet, is just around the corner? :bounce:)

I agree 100%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wonder how people will react once they find out that there's no easy friend-or-foe HUD indication like in the Hornet. :D

Rage, hate, disappointment, followed by angry rants I imagine.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

To be fair the HUD IFF in the hornet is pretty bad, like if you are manuvering IE, rolling around its not exactly easy to tell, and if you're in VR and tilt you head at all, its even worse.

That said I'd rather have some kind of simplified IFF system in the F-16 for now, I'd rather be able to actually do BVR combat now and then relearn some IFF stuff later if I must.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

this feature has been broken for far too long already. Two flys in one.

To be fair the HUD IFF in the hornet is pretty bad, like if you are manuvering IE, rolling around its not exactly easy to tell, and if you're in VR and tilt you head at all, its even worse.

Enemies are always diamonds with an extra caret on top and friendlies have FRIEND superimposed. Like, how can that be not easy to tell?

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Enemies are always diamonds with an extra caret on top and friendlies have FRIEND superimposed. Like, how can that be not easy to tell?

Been a while since I've flown it, I could only remember is being a diamond or a square. And when I tilted my head a small amount, squares turned until they looked like diamonds and diamonds turned until they looked like squares, like how the clouds rotate if you tilt your head in VR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Been a while since I've flown it, I could only remember is being a diamond or a square. And when I tilted my head a small amount, squares turned until they looked like diamonds and diamonds turned until they looked like squares, like how the clouds rotate if you tilt your head in VR.

You should fly it again :)

Pic as of latest Chuck's guide.

hud.PNG.601e76bf7453ef0f69659bd0989fd8b1.PNG