HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

The dcs VR guide says to use stable steam vr and beta windows wmr for steam (app from steam) and set the super sampling in steam to 100-150% so that you see your headsets native resolution displayed in steam.

Is this what people are doing?

I do... :)

...and my Reverb runs smooth on my rig (CPU 4.7GHz, GPU 1080Ti, 32Gb RAM). I have DCS PID :1.0 and SteamVR, both Video and per Application resolution 100%.

As You cannot run DCS 90FPS all the times, a kind of reprojection is the must; for proper functionality, one have to keep both CPU and GPU frametimes below ~20ms (check by fpsVR app - not free but cheap and useful), see:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

IMHO, the most important part of text from link above is imho:

...When using a application resolution greater than 150% you may experience blurring. When using motion reprojection we recommend using a value less than 150%....

....SteamVR Home and many other games that do not reliably hit 50-60 FPS on your PC will continue to have a poor experience with this mode...

Edited by wju

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

The dcs VR guide says to use stable steam vr and beta windows wmr for steam (app from steam) and set the super sampling in steam to 100-150% so that you see your headsets native resolution displayed in steam.
You won't see native resolution between 100-150, it is about 74 (~2160x2160 per eye). SteamVR adds a factor of 1.4 to allow for lens distortion (which pack more pixels to the edges of the display) to bump up the centre to make it the equivalent of native without distortion. Hence 100 is > native.

In my experience anything above 100 using the WMR for SteamVR beta adds nothing to image quality.

(If using the WMR for Steam non beta these figures are 188 for native and around 260 for the 1.4x factor)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

You won't see native resolution between 100-150, it is about 74 (~2160x2160 per eye). SteamVR adds a factor of 1.4 to allow for lens distortion (which pack more pixels to the edges of the display) to bump up the centre to make it the equivalent of native without distortion. Hence 100 is > native.

In my experience anything above 100 using the WMR for SteamVR beta adds nothing to image quality.

(If using the WMR for Steam non beta these figures are 188 for native and around 260 for the 1.4x factor)

Ahh ok thanks for the explanation. With my original reverb I was using wmr for steam vr stable and 100%. No wonder the resolution displayed in steam vr settings showed less than native. But I was using 1.5 PD in dcs and it performed fine.

Cool. So switch to wmr for steam vr beta. Keep it 100% and put dcs PD to 1.0. Turn on motion reprojection in settings file along with the indicator.

This is the clarification I needed and will give this a shot tonight with the new Reverb. I can see why people prefer Oculus software, well I knew that already lol.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I can see why people prefer Oculus software, well I knew that already lol.
To be fair in the early days of Oculus the software was pretty buggy and updates would render the headset unusable until they patched it. Plus we had to fiddle around with Oculus Tray Tools to oversample and stuff like that. It has just been around a lot longer to get things ironed out.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

To be fair in the early days of Oculus the software was pretty buggy and updates would render the headset unusable until they patched it. Plus we had to fiddle around with Oculus Tray Tools to oversample and stuff like that. It has just been around a lot longer to get things ironed out.
I never messed with the Oculus tool tray. I do remember when the headset was down for a few days until Oculus put out a patch. That was about the only issue I had with it.

I hope windows WMR will get there too one day. But it's like the Android OS of the headset world since so many headsets have to be compatible with it. I just hope Microsoft doesn't abandon improvements for it.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

My experience has been the same. Anything above 100% does nothing but to start killing performance. My theory on that is that the VR side of DCS isn't capable of rendering the VR world at a higher resolution than the native resolution of the Reverb, so going above 100% or above 1.0 DCS PD is just wasting CPU and GPU cycles. I have also found that with SteamVR SS set to 100% and DCS PD at 1.0, that I can crank my DCS MSAA all the way to 4X with only a marginal performance hit on fairly rare occasions. Most of the time its smooth as glass, and increasing MSAA is a hell of a lot more effective at getting rid of jaggies.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I have to agree. I have the Innatek PCIe card and had intermittent issues with the Reverb added the StarTech.com 4 Port USB 3.0 PCIe and I have not have a issue since I added it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZEA2S/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_WpeQDbWE5KZ82

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, 64gb Trident Z 3600 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

Right now I have Steam VR SS set to 150%. How do I know if I am using the beta or regular versions of WMR and Steam VR?

If its the beta version, it will say so at the top of the little SteamVR window. But, whether you have the stable or beta version, you should still not go any higher than 100% SS for DCS. You can try experimenting with that yourself, but I see no difference in visual quality between 100% and 150%. No difference, other than the ever-increasing amount of stuttering and ghosting you end up with as you go higher and higher above 100%. It has no benefit in DCS.

To get rid of jaggies, you can start at 2X MSAA, and try going to 4X MSAA. I was surprised to find out that with the Reverb, since it requires no supersampling, that you can now go to 4X MSAA on a rig similar to mine with almost no performance penalty. But, things will look a whole lot better. Some people say that using higher SS and/or PD values will accomplish the same thing, but that's not true. MSAA is a lot more effective, and a lot more efficient resource-wise.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Right now I have Steam VR SS set to 150%. How do I know if I am using the beta or regular versions of WMR and Steam VR?
Look in Steam and the Software tab. You should see Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR. It will say beta after it if that is the case. Click on properties and then the betas tab to opt in.

WMR for SteamVR beta fixes the scaler for supersampling shown in SteamVR for the Reverb. Prior to that it was significantly undersampling at 100%.

Such that 100% using the WMR for SteamVR beta equates to around 260% using the non beta to achieve the same resolution per eye. It is a massive difference hence it really matters which version you are using if you compare SS figures. Alternatively comparing resolution per eye is a much more reliable method.

I have to agree. I have the Innatek PCIe card and had intermittent issues with the Reverb added the StarTech.com 4 Port USB 3.0 PCIe and I have not have a issue since I added it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZEA2S/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_WpeQDbWE5KZ82

That would make sense as the StarTech ports are on their own controllers.

So far my Rift S has been working great in my MB USB port.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm on Steam VR beta and have the slider set at 180% in the Steam VR video settings. The difference between having it set at 100% and 180% is like night and day, so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing a difference in image quality with the HP Reverb. Yes there's ghosting but in the F18 Hornet, I get 90 fps at higher altitude and between 45 & 50 fps low down. To me it's totally playable like like that unless you are constantly looking to sides looking for ghosting.

Steam VR Beta at 180% shows I'm rendering each eye at 2156 x 2116. This is close to what the HP Reverb resolution is it not? Set at 100% it shows it is rendering each eye at 1608 x 1576. I have a Geforce 2080ti if that makes a difference to the rendering percentage?

Edited by joebloggs

I'm on Steam VR beta and have the slider set at 180% in the Steam VR video settings. The difference between having it set at 100% and 180% is like night and day, so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing a difference in image quality with the HP Reverb. Yes there's ghosting but in the F18 Hornet, I get 90 fps at higher altitude and between 45 & 50 fps low down. To me it's totally playable like like that unless you are constantly looking to sides looking for ghosting.

Steam VR Beta at 180% shows I'm rendering each eye at 2156 x 2116. This is close to what the HP Reverb resolution is it not? Set at 100% it shows it is rendering each eye at 1608 x 1576. I have a Geforce 2080ti if that makes a difference to the rendering percentage?

That's because you must be using steam vr beta not windows wmr for steam beta (app you download from steam).

If you use steam vr stable and beta (wmr for steam vr) app then 100% should give you the equivalent of 180% you see now.

That's because you must be using steam vr beta not windows wmr for steam beta (app you download from steam).

If you use steam vr stable and beta (wmr for steam vr) app then 100% should give you the equivalent of 180% you see now.

I am just using Steam VR beta now with DCS because Steam itself doesn't launch when I launch straight from the DCS exe? But I have set my Steam VR beta to 100% and it does give me the same image quality that Non Steam VR beta was giving me at 180%? It now says I'm rendering at 1608 x 1576 per eye now with 100% set, so do I need to increase it or keep it at this for HP Reverb?

I am just using Steam VR beta now with DCS because Steam itself doesn't launch when I launch straight from the DCS exe? But I have set my Steam VR beta to 100% and it does give me the same image quality that Non Steam VR beta was giving me at 180%? It now says I'm rendering at 1608 x 1576 per eye now with 100% set, so do I need to increase it or keep it at this for HP Reverb?
Use stable version of steam vr. Inside steam store search for windows mixed reality. It's an app. Download it and once it's installed right click it in steam. Got to properties and opt in for the beta version. You may need to restart steam. But once you do your percentages should be equalized with 100% and the correct resolution.

If you launch dcs from the desktop app from within the reverb, it should automatically start steam vr.

Use stable version of steam vr. Inside steam store search for windows mixed reality. It's an app. Download it and once it's installed right click it in steam. Got to properties and opt in for the beta version. You may need to restart steam. But once you do your percentages should be equalized with 100% and the correct resolution.

If you launch dcs from the desktop app from within the reverb, it should automatically start steam vr.

I have just opted into the Steam for Mixed Reality Steam VR Beta and now it is showing the correct percentages and is as smooth as butter playing DCS now. Wow -I'm really impressed with this now. Before I just tried to get used to ghosting and horrible fps, but there is none of this now with my Geforce 2080ti. They should hurry and take this out of beta so that people don't get the wrong impression about the HP Reverb. This is exactly what I was looking for in a VR headset for flight sims.

I have chosen Steam VR beta as well though, so is there a reason to opt out of this if I'm not having any problems with it? Are there some issue with it that I don't know about Cheers!

Edited by joebloggs

I have just opted into the Steam for Mixed Reality Steam VR Beta and now it is showing the correct percentages and is as smooth as butter playing DCS now. Wow -I'm really impressed with this now. Before I just tried to get used to ghosting and horrible fps, but there is none of this now with my Geforce 2080ti. They should hurry and take this out of beta so that people don't get the wrong impression about the HP Reverb. This is exactly what I was looking for in a VR headset for flight sims.

I have chosen Steam VR beta as well though, so is there a reason to opt out of this if I'm not having any problems with it? Are there some issue with it that I don't know about Cheers!

Yea I too was very confused about which beta you had to be on. I'm glad Baldur cleared it up.

Not sure of any reason to use steam vr beta unless you prefer. Before the confusion I thought if you were on wmr for steam beta (seriously what a stupid name, let alone have it be within steam itself), that you also needed to have steam be in beta.

Also screw the chirping birds in cliff house! Who the f*** thought this was a good idea? Drives me insane.

Picked up my new replacement reverb. Not sure if I'll get to use it tonight as I have to work late but hopefully I can open it by the weekend.

What was wrong with your other HP Reverb and was it the newer version? I'll have to listen for the birds chirping, but it is a bit daft having that if you can't turn them off. I like to work in desktop mode silently, if I wanted to hear birds chirping then I would open my windows at home early mornings.

Edited by joebloggs

The first reverb I ordered had a dead pixel in the center of the display. It was neon green and sparkled out like a star on any dark background. At times you could see like a tiny line extend from it.

It also got pretty warm which I felt in the front after 20-30 minutes in dcs. The serial number for it was 932 and it had the clip with it too.

When you say desktop mode is that a new thing or just the desktop app you open from within the lost of apps in the cliff house?

Hi everybody

Is it possible to use both reverb and cv1 (only one at a time) on the same computer with DCS?

Yes it is. You just have to go to the compatibility settings for the Oculus Home exe file and set it to "Run as administrator". This will keep it from automatically running when you start DCS, and will allow you to choose whether you want to use your CV1 or your Reverb.

I do a great deal of programming and checked the dependencies. Many guys want to know what is the correct order to start the software for the Reverb. Here it is:

1 - Start Mixed Reality Portal

2 - Start Steam

3 - Start SteamVR

4 - Inside Steam from the games list, run the DCS option with Start DCS in SteamVR mode

This pathway will have the least conflicts. More in a bit, when I sort some other wonky stuff out.

I don't have dcs in my steam games list folder as it's standalone and when I try to add it as a shortcut in steam it doesn't launch.

I've always just put on my headset, open the desktop from the headset (remains open for next time you put on the headset), and then double click dcs shortcut on there. Everything required starts up after.

Yes it is. You just have to go to the compatibility settings for the Oculus Home exe file and set it to "Run as administrator". This will keep it from automatically running when you start DCS, and will allow you to choose whether you want to use your CV1 or your Reverb.

It is but it's a royal pain in the ass. Even if you do what Eagle recommends (which is right), simply having an Oculus headset (CV1, Rift S, etc...) and the Reverb plugged into the same graphics card will often cause SteamVR to only recognize the Oculus headset and throw up errors for the WMR pathway.

I do a great deal of programming and checked the dependencies. Many guys want to know what is the correct order to start the software for the Reverb. Here it is:

1 - Start Mixed Reality Portal

2 - Start Steam

3 - Start SteamVR

4 - Inside Steam from the games list, run the DCS option with Start DCS in SteamVR mode

This pathway will have the least conflicts. More in a bit, when I sort some other wonky stuff out.

Thank you for your replies. I have ordered the reverb but i don't want to uninstall immediatly the cv1. I want to test well the reverb before uninstall cv1, but i'll unplug it while using reverb.

It is but it's a royal pain in the ass. Even if you do what Eagle recommends (which is right), simply having an Oculus headset (CV1, Rift S, etc...) and the Reverb plugged into the same graphics card will often cause SteamVR to only recognize the Oculus headset and throw up errors for the WMR pathway.

I have a 10 foot HDMI extender, as well as a 10 foot USB extender for my CV1. For the Reverb, I just leave its cable plugged into my machine, and connect/disconnect it at the connector on the HMD itself. This makes it really easy to use one headset or the other, with no hardware conflicts. :D

DisplayPort is a really fragile interface, so I prefer not to do my connection/disconnection of the Reverb at my $1500.00 GPU.

Edited by eaglecash867