TM T.16000m HOTAS Durability Problem?

Zulu111

As a beginner to DCS I was thinking to buy a TM T.16000m FCS HOTAS package to start with. This accessory reviews well yet I keep seeing comments that the joystick has a durability problem and they tend to break down quickly. Is this true?

Edited by Pilot905

AFAIK - No part of T.16000M or TWCS used to break- in normal use, like can happen with their "rich cousin".

Most "break" complains is about the potentiometer of twist axis in T.16000M causing spikes after some use. In throttle the major complain is stiction in throttle rails.

Thank you for the update. If I got pedals I presume I could significantly reduce the need to twist the T.16000M joystick and therefore minimize the occurrence of this problem?

Thank you for the update. If I got pedals I presume I could significantly reduce the need to twist the T.16000M joystick and therefore minimize the occurrence of this problem?

The old T16000M (the green one) didn´t have twist problem (like the orange has). In fact, I buyed a green one from six month ago, and the twist is perfect. Search for it... better the old green one.

I have used mine for around 10 months now and I use the twist on the joystick as a zoom (cause i'm weird like that). I have not had any problems. I do plan on moving up to the Warthog around Christmas but that is more about wanting more functions on the joystick then any flaw I have found in mine. I love the throttle though. I don't own the rudder pedals so I can't comment on those.

I have used mine for around 10 months now and I use the twist on the joystick as a zoom (cause i'm weird like that). I have not had any problems. I do plan on moving up to the Warthog around Christmas but that is more about wanting more functions on the joystick then any flaw I have found in mine. I love the throttle though. I don't own the rudder pedals so I can't comment on those.

I too have been eyeing the TM Warthog HOTAS kit but at the moment I can't seem to find anyone with them in stock without paying a "premium" price.

I also want to make sure I am fully committed to play the flight sim long term before I drop down $500+ for a HOTAS system.

Thanks.

Is there a reason why you abandoned the T.16000M in favor of the Warthog?

Lack of buttons and hats on the stick

Dual throttle

AB detend

Switches on the throttle base instead of buttons on the joystick base

Buttons, sliders and hats on the throttle

Prefering metal over plastic

Two stage detend on the trigger

The T16000M is great and has an awesome price for the value.

However, you'll reach the point where it is just not enough and you won't deal anymore with modifier. Only downside of the warthog is, that you need pedals.

And that the slew is... Sorry, no friendly words for that. But you can deal with it, or mod it.

I never regret that I bought the T16000M, and I never regret that I updated it to the Warthog.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Lack of buttons and hats on the stick

Dual throttle

AB detend

Switches on the throttle base instead of buttons on the joystick base

Buttons, sliders and hats on the throttle

Prefering metal over plastic

Two stage detend on the trigger

The T16000M is great and has an awesome price for the value.

However, you'll reach the point where it is just not enough and you won't deal anymore with modifier. Only downside of the warthog is, that you need pedals.

And that the slew is... Sorry, no friendly words for that. But you can deal with it, or mod it.

I never regret that I bought the T16000M, and I never regret that I updated it to the Warthog.

Thank you for the assessment! I am pleased that your choice to upgrade to the Warthog is motivated more by an usability issue versus a technical failing with the T.16000M.

Seriously, one of my biggest complains about this joystick (apart from the shitty throttle rails) is the bright orange backlight that you cannot disable without disassembling the base (and waving farewell to your warranty).

Let me elaborate. Backlight don't really bug me while I'm actively using the joystick. But since I also fell victim to the notorious "twist spikes", the stick is almost never 100% centered. One slight accidental touch - and boom, the orange sunrise. You can literally spend a whole minute trying to find that perfect center spot and extinguish the backlight. Sometimes it's kinda maddening.

Other than that, the whole T16000M package (stick+throttles+pedals) is a nice and relatively durable product for its price. Totally good for a beginner. But I'm going to swap the stick for the Mk.II as soon as I save enough money. Throttles and pedals I will keep.

Dima | My DCS uploads