The F-35 Thread

Groove

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends where in the internet you look. Seems the average is a 50 to 60 million difference, F-22 being the more expensive one of course. But again, this vary from site to site.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The F-22 was not cancelled. Infact there are plans to buy 60 more beyond the order of 183.

Cheers.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I wonder...The F-22 Raptor was cancelled due to the cost. Isn't the F-35 more complex aircraft than the 22? What is the difference between the F-35 and F-22 that makes the huge cost difference?

Remember that the cost we see are estimated, we do not know actual cost.

Some of the thing that affect the cost are, for example, how long was the aircraft on development, delays on development or testing, how many aircraft are bought, etc. Also, if the technologies are not proven before. The F-22, AFAIK, had a lot of unproven technology, so the companies involve had to, among other things, develop prove of concept, ask for pattens and prove that technology "X" work, the F-35 would or should use some of those technologies cheaper since the development was performed on the F-22. Also more costumer for the F-35, the cost is shared by more agencies and lowers the price. Keep in mind, this is guessing from my part, I am just assuming all of this and have no actual prof.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

^^^^^^

No export, and that's the largest and probably the only firm issue with it!

Export would give away the advantages of the plane and make it useless.

Ok, I was talking nonsense…

Just checking my new signature…:D

Skip and go next…:thumbup:

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

A code one magazine article

X to F: F-35 Lightning II...

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/2008/articles/apr_08/f35transition/index.html

To whom it may concern,

What are you referring to?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

In response to the thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=36244

I would say hat for the "blue forces" in the pacific theatre being outnumbered is and always will be a grim reality. The area to cover is incredibly vast, The "red forces" can disperse over so many airfields that you cannot dream of taking them out on the ground, and at least China has proven it can mass-produce credible designs like J-11 and J-10. If you compare to the European theatre, EU forces field many more and more modern fighters than their allies in the pacific. While the F-35 might be a good solution for airforces like Belgium and the Netherlands, I also seriously doubt it is OK for Australia, Japan and Taiwan to rely on it. They need more F-22's based nearby imho.

Edited by tflash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In response to the thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=36244

I would say hat for the "blue forces" in the pacific theatre being outnumbered is and always will be a grim reality. The area to cover is incredibly vast, The "red forces" can disperse over so many airfields that you cannot dream of taking them out on the ground, and at least China has proven it can mass-produce credible designs like J-11 and J-10. If you compare to the European theatre, EU forces field many more and more modern fighters than their allies in the pacific. While the F-35 might be a good solution for airforces like Belgium and the Netherlands, I also seriously doubt it is OK for Australia, Japan and Taiwan to rely on it. They need more F-22's based nearby imho.

As a military simmer since 1988, I could see this coming from 1000 miles.

Indeed it can’t climb, it can’t turn and it can’t run.

This fat bomb truck is even not enough stealth because the compromise which was made to make it a vertical landing vehicle.

The big problem is that it is too late to cancel the project: too much money was invested and too many countries have signed for this disaster project.

You can put the F-35 against the eurofighter in a similar exercise and the outcome would be identical.

(even against the cheap F16-CJ block52 the outcome would be the same)

Edited by TucksonSonny

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

That's funny ... an aircraft with >1:1 TWR in nominal configuration can't turn or climb?

The F-35 flying with combat payload against an F16 with a combat payload will have uh 'the same outcome' as what? You mean it'll crush that poor F-16 underfoot? Because that's exactly what it'll do. The Typhoon will fare marginally better, at least for a little while.

You guys are real jokers ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

@ the youtube video in the other thread: Australia seems so afraid of all the Sukhois in the area around them. Why dont they buy the latests one (Su-35) if they think the US planes are crap?? :music_whistling:

Seriously though, the F-35 isnt "useless". It will fair very well against most opponents, though the F-22 will still pwn all :)

Edited by X-man

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

While I think I get your point, I think also a lot of the Sukhoi-phobia in Australia is basically coming from a particular private party (Carlo Kopp anyone) while the Air Force doesn't seem to be worried.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm guessing the F-35 has the same reason for not using link-16 as the F-22: it gives up its position. They use a more modern datalink instead.

As for F15's ... it will out-turn F-15's and F-16's. Just not hugely so, a-la F-22. Su-35's need clean runways as well ... unless you want to buy a pile of replacement engines from mother russia ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I still do not get is how an aircraft with 25k combat ceiling is supposed to intercept fighters that can easily operate at 50k+ ?

The intake design of the F-35 puts serious limitations on the airflow, hence the rather limited top speed.

In a recent interview an F-16/Typhoon pilot of the Italian aif force was rather clear: the F-16 can keep up with Typhoon at low to medium altitudes. At high altitude it is nowhere. What makes you think the F-35 would do better, since it was never even designed to operate at the altitudes presumably to be defended by F-22?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I still do not get is how an aircraft with 25k combat ceiling is supposed to intercept fighters that can easily operate at 50k+ ?

Try 45k.

Seriously, how about some accuracy?

The F-35 is designed to haul weapons far, and A2A is a very secondary role, albeit one it is capable of. You think a Su-whatever coming to australia will have the fuel to actually DO anything?

The intake design of the F-35 puts serious limitations on the airflow, hence the rather limited top speed.
And yet no one complains too much about it since it's simply part of the operational parameters.

In a recent interview an F-16/Typhoon pilot of the Italian aif force was rather clear: the F-16 can keep up with Typhoon at low to medium altitudes. At high altitude it is nowhere. What makes you think the F-35 would do better, since it was never even designed to operate at the altitudes presumably to be defended by F-22?
Stealth, an AESA radar, superior SA, AIM-120D and AIM-9X ;)

PS: Note that the F-35 is NOT a primarily A2A fighter, as it was not designed as such. It simply has some advantages which for n ow will be there, but temporary - it has an edge, plain and simple. Like an F-16, it too will be able to mix it up at low altitude where the engine develops ridiculous amounts of thrust. It has already been stated by USAF officials that the F-35 out-performs the F-16. Nothing was said about out-performing it spectacularely, merely that it meets of exceeds the F-16's capabilities.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]