Hosting with IPv6 / Dualstack

kreisch

Hey guys,

Is there someone who finally succeeded in creating a MP server, which can be seen in the list and can be joined?

A few hours ago I tried to create a server, locally I could see it properly in the list, I could administrate the dedicated server via the web-tool but nobody could see it in the master list.

What did I do?

Created a server using the default port.

Created a portmapper on https://www.feste-ip.net

Added the IPv6 of my server to the portmapper

Tried to check if the portmapper is working but got "Port is not opened"

Nobody could see the server in the list, only I could see it with my gaming desktop in the same network

I then tried to set the NAT-Filtering in my Netgear R7800 to "open", set the option to prevent DDOs to off (just for testing reasons....), basically opened the whole doors for 5 minutes and nada, feste-ip.net reported "Port closed" and nobody could see the server in the list and nobody was able to join via ipv6 or the forwarding I created in feste-ip.net

If someone is able to host a dedicated server using an internet connection with IPV6 only - how the heck do you do it :D ?

BR,

kreisch!

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I want to know if anyone knows a way to host a server with IPv6. But I guess nobody does.

There was a post sometime ago here, where one of the ED-Team members said that IPv6 hosting should be possible, but I have no clue how. I tried every imaginable way, but never succeeded.

I don't want to pay several dozens of Euro just for a virtual server to run DCS on, because that one has a dedicated IPv4 address.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I am going to speak to some general things, as to why Dual Stack may not work. I am not aware of how your ISP operates, or if you have already spoken to them, and made arrangements. But a few things would create issues as follows:

1.) Your ISP would have to assign you your IPV6 address, just like they would a fixed IPV4 and they in turn would need to enable dual-stacking.

2.) Does your router actually support dual-stack? If so, did you work out a dual stack arrangement with your ISP so they could forward or advertise your IPV6 IP?

3.) In my experience, only a few ISP's actually support dual-stack, and the one I directly interact with ATT, is only doing this over BGP (a routing protocol), so is your ISP exchanging routing information with you, if so, which protocol and how are you establishing neighbor relationships?

4.) Is your ISP just saying "here, this is your IPV6 address" is it static/fixed or DHCP? Also, if you were assigning a fixed IP whether IPV4 or V6 to your server, how are you NATing it to present it to the Internet?

5.) The folks you want to connect to the server will also need to support IPV6 in some manner, or their ISP should allow them to use "concatenation" to convert their IPV4 to a IPV6 stand-in, are they doing this - via the "portmapper" application that was mentioned, as everyone would probably have to be on the same service to map within a providers backbone?

Again, just some generic questions, as I dual-stack, but strictly in a corporate environment, on large Internet Backbone links, I am not sure how SOHO ISP services would offer this to a end user home or small office connection. Just a list of things to think through or check. May not be applicable.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Thank you! Your first point got my attention with something that I never cared to check before. My ISP was using DS-Lite for my connection. I contacted them about it and they changed it to real Dual Stack. Now it's working.

A little stupid that I didn't think about it, so thanks for your help!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you! Your first point got my attention with something that I never cared to check before. My ISP was using DS-Lite for my connection. I contacted them about it and they changed it to real Dual Stack. Now it's working.

A little stupid that I didn't think about it, so thanks for your help!

Glad it worked and I could help!

It is the end to end things that will get you every time.

:thumbup:

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).