How do I use F18 TDC Controls?

Good Morning all,

So I have noticed there is no tutorial training mission included regarding the AGM-65F. Ive watched plenty of tutorial videos on how to lock and make them function; however, the TDC left, right, up, and down,do not move the cross-hairs on the left DDI. It is UNCAGED and the the TDC has been assigned to the left DDI but it still does not work even if I have the TDC depress button held.

When I un-cage on the left DDI, the cross-hair on the screen disappears and I am left with about 3 horizontal looking lines and no functionality. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this just a bug?

A/G master is on and the Master arm switch is set to ARM.

Thanks in advance

Its ok haha. But yeah most tutorials or informational segments I have watched and read say the same thing but it just doesn't work so I was wondering if there was some kind of known bug with it at the moment.

In all the videos ive watched ive never seen anyones left DDI crosshairs for the MAV completely disappear and then display only three horizontal lines without the ability to aim it at all with the TDC

Does anyone else know if I'm forgetting or missing a step here or if this is just a bug? Like do I need to use a targeting pod now and that info hasnt been updated in tutorials or set the radar to a different type or something? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Good Morning all,

So I have noticed there is no tutorial training mission included regarding the AGM-65F. Ive watched plenty of tutorial videos on how to lock and make them function; however, the TDC left, right, up, and down,do not move the cross-hairs on the left DDI. It is UNCAGED and the the TDC has been assigned to the left DDI but it still does not work even if I have the TDC depress button held.

When I un-cage on the left DDI, the cross-hair on the screen disappears and I am left with about 3 horizontal looking lines and no functionality. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this just a bug?

A/G master is on and the Master arm switch is set to ARM.

Thanks in advance

Motomouse pointed it out: did you press SCS towards your MAV DDI screen so that the little priority diamond appears in that top right corner of the Mav DDI? And open the Missions menupoint to find a lot of training missions, incl Mav-F.

Yes, the SCS has the TDC assigned to the correct DDI as stated in the OP ' It is UNCAGED and the the TDC has been assigned to the left DDI'. The priority Diamond is in the top right corner of the MAV DDI yes. After this I uncage, and the crosshair disappears.

And yes there is the maverick training mission in the missions list but it isnt one of the step by step voice scripted tutorial missions that walks you through the process of getting the system to work with the Mavericks. The only one I have seen is 'there are an assortment of targets, practice killing them'

Which is perfect I want to to do that haha but if I cant get the thing to slew and control the TDC I cannot really do that haha.

Just a long shot, but...

Press the S key to “deselect” in case there was a target designated somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4).

Windows 11.

You can't manually slew the seeker if an A/G target designation (target diamond) is present. It'll automatically slave to it. You need to undesignate first.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

You say your TDC is assigned to the left DDI. Confusing. TDC is for designating targets. SCS is for selecting DDI.

You say you have non functioning imagery with horizontal lines. Sounds like MavE symbology. Do you have a mix of F and E Mavs on board? Also, Mavs need to be warmed up.

HORNET/VIPER/HARRIER/SABRE/FISHBED/FROGFOOT/HOKUM/HIND/JUG/ISHAK

You say your TDC is assigned to the left DDI. Confusing. TDC is for designating targets. SCS is for selecting DDI.

You say you have non functioning imagery with horizontal lines. Sounds like MavE symbology. Do you have a mix of F and E Mavs on board? Also, Mavs need to be warmed up.

I might be getting my exact nomenclature and terminology a bit off my apologies if I dont know all the exact proper vernacular.

I have the MAV screen on the left DDI and the SCS left to accommodate that. I only have the F's on board. Double checked that to be sure. Warmup works just fine that was also verified.

You can't manually slew the seeker if an A/G target designation (target diamond) is present. It'll automatically slave to it. You need to undesignate first.

No Target diamond is present. Verified that as well. I will however try S to remove designation when I get back on and try as thats the first new solution I have heard that I haven't tried. Much appreciated I'll let ya know if that was the issue.

EDIT: Here's a question that your response prompted though. I was using a NAV waypoint to navigate to the target area. It was set to NAV not to TGT. Would simply having a NAV waypoint active cause the TDC to not slew? For reference i was 149.9 away from the waypoint heading that direction but no where close and it was set to NAV

Edited by scipio47

No Target diamond is present. Verified that as well. I will however try S to remove designation when I get back on and try as thats the first new solution I have heard that I haven't tried. Much appreciated I'll let ya know if that was the issue.

EDIT: Here's a question that your response prompted though. I was using a NAV waypoint to navigate to the target area. It was set to NAV not to TGT. Would simply having a NAV waypoint active cause the TDC to not slew? For reference i was 149.9 away from the waypoint heading that direction but no where close and it was set to NAV

No, if only the WYPT option is boxed and you haven't used WPDSG to set up a target (or have unlocked an A/G target), then the seeker should be able to slew manually. I assume you're not using any other way to designate a target either (TPOD with TDC Depress, for example, although the TPOD in PTRACK and ATRACK only does not designate anything).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

No, if only the WYPT option is boxed and you haven't used WPDSG to set up a target (or have unlocked an A/G target), then the seeker should be able to slew manually. I assume you're not using any other way to designate a target either (TPOD with TDC Depress, for example, although the TPOD in PTRACK and ATRACK only does not designate anything).

That is correct im not using any TPOD or anything its a Base F18 with 4 AGM-65F's. I wanted to try and learn how to use them since I am in the process of learning the hornet and saw a vide on them being used. So i created a personal mission in the editor with 4 simple targets to lock and hit but I cant get the MAV DDI or TDC to slew at all so im not sure whats up.

It could have just been a bug as well though. Ive noticed sometimes keybinds stop working after bieng in game for a while so perhaps ill load it up tonight and have no issue

Ok well I got it solved. DCS didnt like the fact that I changed the Key-binds. Apparently up,down,left, right, and JOYBTN3 are not approved key functions for TDC. Reset everything to default and it works just fine. Kinda sucks to have to take hands off to work with it but it will suffice. Thanks for all the feedback guys

Glad you got it sorted out!

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

Windows 11.

Ok well I got it solved. DCS didnt like the fact that I changed the Key-binds. Apparently up,down,left, right, and JOYBTN3 are not approved key functions for TDC. Reset everything to default and it works just fine. Kinda sucks to have to take hands off to work with it but it will suffice. Thanks for all the feedback guys

I thinks you're gonna love me; I do!

For a few weeks I had a problem with TDC down not responding (up or further on the radar).

I came across this thread but wasn't satisfied as I will not use anything else than my Warthog throttle's view hat (index finger position).

The SOLUTION for me was:

Go the the General command binding category and clear all 8 positions of the hat switch (that includes diagonals). These command have precedence over mods (i.e. Aircraft) key bindings.

Go back to the F/A-18 Sim (or Easy :lol:) category and remap TDC directions. While at it, get rid of those camera commands mapped to the diagonals.

• Thanks 1

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

For others who may read this I will add my solution. I struggled w/ TDC slew which is a well known problem w/ the TM Warthog throttle slew. It worked great for slewing on the radar attack screen but terrible for MavFs. There is a well known switch upgrade but you have to give somebody in Europe your credit card info which he keeps for however many months it takes for him to crank out more kits. No thanks. My solution came from getting a new stick w/ more 4 way + push hats. I now use the throttle slew for the radar attack and a hat on the stick for the Mav Fs. This way each switch can be tuned for it's application.

Check if you have "realistic TDC" checked in the Special menu.

If it is you need to keep TDC pressed while slewing it.

This was a *very* helpful post for me! I didn’t know that option existed. Made my day!!!

Thank you very much PL_Harpoon!

Windows 11.

There is a well known switch upgrade but you have to give somebody in Europe your credit card info which he keeps for however many months it takes for him to crank out more kits. No thanks.

I think, if he would have ever been fraudulent with any card data, it would have been turned out already along the way. He can barely keep up with orders, that's why it takes a bit longer, you are right. This week I just received order #378X, and I'm very happy with it. Obviously buying another stick is also an option, but probably a bit more expensive that the slew upgrade. :smilewink: