DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - Page 101 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #1001
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yann View Post
Hello Ciribob, All

First of all, thank you for this awesome piece of code!
I installed it yesterday, and it works well, but i am experiencing FPS issues since the installation.

I have quite decent computer, and running at moderate graphics settings : The M2000 free flight mission, gave me before installation of SRS :
Vsync OFF : 140 fps / Vsync ON : Rock steady 60 fps

After the installation :
Vsync OFF : alternating between 64 - 65 fps / Vsync ON : 60 fps with frequent drops to 55fps.

This occurs even is the SRS client and/or server is not running.

Turning down the graphics settings does not change this limitation to 64-65 fps.

I found that if I rename the folder %USERPROFILE%/Saved Game/Scripts, the problem go away. Since I am not using any other scripts than SRS, I believe that SRS is the source of the problem.

I found that replacing in the DCS-SimpleRadioStandalon.lua line 64 :
SR.UDPLosReceiveSocket:settimeout(.0001)
by
SR.UDPLosReceiveSocket:settimeout(0)
the problem go away, and SRS seems to remain functional (had a quick test in multiplayer on the M2000, but need more testing though)

Do you think this change can have any undesirable side-effects (I am not familiar with UDP programming)?
Am I the only one with this issue?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance!
Thats interesting! AFAIK setting it to 0 should do the exact opposite of that according to the docs and block for an infinite amount of time...!

Not checked yet but the test you can do is to go on a server with line of sight and distance turned on and fly into a valley and if you can't hear people you're good

The UDP listener is for the Line of Sight system I detailed earlier in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_neo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_neo

....nah, that wasn't it. I had turned those effects on all along....what i failed to do, was to turn up the volume for the 2nd/3rd radio though, silly me, i know. Anyway, works like i should now. Thx for the support. Hope to put SRS through its paces this weekend with my brother.
Great! Glad its working

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilWillis View Post
We are so impressed with SRS at RAF Air UK, that we have decided to use it for all operational flying.

This is definitely the best solution for radio comms simulation out there, and I hope ED adopt it and integrate it into DCS World.

Excellent work guys, once again, thanks for all the expertise and hard work put into it.
Thanks for the feedback, currently a team of 1 so thats great to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esac_mirmidon View Post
For me the only thing that needs to be improved is the audio mix distorsion when two bands are used at the same time while talking.

The rest is simply great.
Still working on it but brutal hours at work have reduced how much I can work at the minute to basically 5 minutes a day...

If you do have garbled audio when receiving multiple transmissions, please keep sending them in as if my rewrite of the audio processing doesnt work i'll need them to test other ideas

Sorry for the slow progress all!

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord
Ciribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #1002
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

Dont worry mate.

You are doing an incredible work. This piece of software is a game changer so take it easy. We have a working build so take your time.

Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6 - GTX 1060 EXOC KFA2 - 16 Gigas RAM 1.600 - 1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55 - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - Track IR 4
Esac_mirmidon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:59 PM   #1003
Igneous01

I'm getting crashes when clicking 'preview audio' or when connecting to a server (I've tried with loopback 127.0.0.1 as well as our clan server)

https://postimg.org/image/i6izb05qr/

I'm wondering if the code handles a user that has multiple sound devices (I have an external steinberg sound card for music, internal sound card for gaming) - my external is disabled when I try this.

I'm using 2 Channel 16 bit 44100Hz for playback quality on my internal.

I checked the client logs but nothing is recorded about any errors. Also it's latest version pulled from git.

**Resolved - did not have .net 4.6 installed **

Last edited by Igneous01; 10-19-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Igneous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #1004
starmat

Default Audio Output Error

Hello guys

I am sorry if this has been discussed in the past, but i am encountering an issue when i trying to connect to the server.

I receive an "audio output error"
"Problem initializing audio output! Try a different Output device and please post your client log on the forums"

it says something about an "opus.dll" and i have tried to download the file, but still no success.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
matt

Clientlog.txt

Code:
"00:57:05 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Common.UpdaterChecker+<CheckForUpdate>d__2 Running Latest Version: 1.2.8.1
00:57:06 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Client.AudioManager Error starting audio Output - Quitting! Unable to load DLL 'opus.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
"
starmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #1005
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmat View Post
Hello guys

I am sorry if this has been discussed in the past, but i am encountering an issue when i trying to connect to the server.

I receive an "audio output error"
"Problem initializing audio output! Try a different Output device and please post your client log on the forums"

it says something about an "opus.dll" and i have tried to download the file, but still no success.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
matt

Clientlog.txt

Code:
"00:57:05 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Common.UpdaterChecker+<CheckForUpdate>d__2 Running Latest Version: 1.2.8.1
00:57:06 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Client.AudioManager Error starting audio Output - Quitting! Unable to load DLL 'opus.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
"
Opus.dll is included in the download for the release for both Old and new Audio api (https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-Simpl...eleases/latest)

I'd try downloading the latest release again, extracting the zip and then running the installer again which should then install the scripts and copy the exes and dlls to your installation folder

Hope that helps!

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Last edited by Ciribob; 10-20-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #1006
gromit190

This is a great project and initiative! I want to know: how can I contribute? I'm a Java webapp/javascript developer with experience with C++ and (more recently) .lua hobby projects.

Is it just to get crackin' on the issues or do you have some part of the software you'd like someone to take care of?
gromit190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #1007
Yann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciribob View Post
Thats interesting! AFAIK setting it to 0 should do the exact opposite of that according to the docs and block for an infinite amount of time...!

Not checked yet but the test you can do is to go on a server with line of sight and distance turned on and fly into a valley and if you can't hear people you're good

The UDP listener is for the Line of Sight system I detailed earlier in this thread
What I understand from the luasocket documentation and others udp socket programming documentations is that :
- settimeout() or settimeout(negative_value) sets the socket to blocking mode
- settimeout (0) sets the socket to non-blocking mode
- settimeout(strictly_positive_value) sets the socket to timeout mode. But my experience shows that depending on the internal clock resolution of the operating system, the timeout value you want may or may not be achieved.

Thus, if your intention was to make the socket non-blocking (and I believe that's what you wanted to do by specifying a timeout of 0.0001s), you may want to consider using settimeout(0).
Yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #1008
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit190 View Post
This is a great project and initiative! I want to know: how can I contribute? I'm a Java webapp/javascript developer with experience with C++ and (more recently) .lua hobby projects.

Is it just to get crackin' on the issues or do you have some part of the software you'd like someone to take care of?
Some help would be great! I've not had time to work properly on it for over a week now due to work commitments and its getting a little big for just one person... I didnt really know C# before this project, just java so language wise its no worries.

I am actually thinking of rewriting the core audio engine in C++ and using the C++/CLI bridging to talk to the .NET UI and the non performance critical code.

PM me your skype if you don't mind and we'll arrange a time so I can talk you through the main design if you like? Its a little convoluted and needs a lot of refactoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yann View Post
What I understand from the luasocket documentation and others udp socket programming documentations is that :
- settimeout() or settimeout(negative_value) sets the socket to blocking mode
- settimeout (0) sets the socket to non-blocking mode
- settimeout(strictly_positive_value) sets the socket to timeout mode. But my experience shows that depending on the internal clock resolution of the operating system, the timeout value you want may or may not be achieved.

Thus, if your intention was to make the socket non-blocking (and I believe that's what you wanted to do by specifying a timeout of 0.0001s), you may want to consider using settimeout(0).
Thanks! Im still surprised it works as LUA is single threaded in DCS so i wanted the UDP socket to wait for a small amount of time incase a packet came in. I assumed that while it wasn't waiting for a packet, they would be silently discarded but I guess the OS is has the packet in a buffer and delivers it when its non blocking on each check of read.

That'll teach me for not reading the docs carefully enough.

I'll change that to 0 then for the next release and see how it goes! Thanks!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #1009
Yann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciribob View Post
Thanks! Im still surprised it works as LUA is single threaded in DCS so i wanted the UDP socket to wait for a small amount of time incase a packet came in. I assumed that while it wasn't waiting for a packet, they would be silently discarded but I guess the OS is has the packet in a buffer and delivers it when its non blocking on each check of read.

That'll teach me for not reading the docs carefully enough.

I'll change that to 0 then for the next release and see how it goes! Thanks!
You are right. There is a buffer of 8kb (default size on Windows os). So, it all comes down whether the amount of data received between two frames fits into this buffer or not.

Anyway thank you for taking this issue into consideration. And I hope you will continue to make this kind of great contribution to DCS. (I believe SRS is so awesome it should be integrated in DCS like IVC is in FalconBMS)
Regards.
Yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #1010
Corvus

Tested 1.2.9.0 version with Sound Blaster Tactical 3D- works fine, both in preview and during mission. Great work!