Will the deck crew be collidable?

104th_Maverick

Will the deck crew cause damage when they are collided with?

I am hoping that they are not simply from a server administration point of view, I want the carrier to look great with deck crew etc but not at the cost of everyone running in to them and exploding.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

A realistic approach would be an animation of them falling or running out of your way then mission failed.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Few threads down: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=257541

Tldr; Bignewy answered: No

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

A realistic approach would be an animation of them falling or running out of your way then mission failed.

I saw a Grim Reapers carrier landing video that looked particularly sporty... I picture the deck crew running for their lives and diving off the carrier en masse. :megalol:

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

... I picture the deck crew running for their lives and diving off the carrier en masse. :megalol:

They do that every time I try to land :D

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

LOFL it would be funny, but not really practical IMO. They would running around like chickens with their heads cut off pretty much all the time online.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

One could say that in this case the presence of the deck crew has no bearing what so ever on whether or not you can see them. :music_whistling:

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Few threads down: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=257541

Tldr; Bignewy answered: No

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4135557&postcount=8

You can click the post number in its top right, to get a direct link to the post.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well there goes my intended party trick of sucking them into the engines....

Yeah, but what it would like in MP would be everyone hoovering the deck crew into their intakes whether intentionally or trying to dodge some bozo that doesn't know what he's doing. And then within minutes, you'd have no deck crew... (or they would have to re-spawn).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's all well and good to joke about digital deck crew getting creamed, but the OP's point in asking was that he hoped ED wouldn't make the deck crew collidable.

A flight deck is a damned dangerous place, and it doesn't add to the simulation experience to simulate what happens when things go wrong.

In the two years I was stationed on a carrier, we had a guy get sucked into an A7's intake (minor injuries), a guy back into an E-2's turning prop (miraculously minor injuries), a photographer suffer double amputation below the knees (planeguard helo had enough fuel to do an immediate MEDEVAC to Portsmouth Naval Hospital, both legs reattached), and a parted arresting gear wire that killed a guy and injured several others.

That's 4 incidents in 2000+ 90-minute launch & recovery cycles, which means we averaged 500+ cycles between injury mishaps. Not great but still, safe operations happen way more often than injuries do.

Clearly, RL flight deck personnel do a pretty good job of staying out of the way. I'd like to see THAT simulated...animated crew moving out of the way of taxiing aircraft rather than standing still as an aircraft taxis through their incorporeal digital presence like a bus through a Disney-movie ghost.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

Yeah, I agree, I don't think it should be simulated. Mostly because some juvenile player is going to try to kill the crew on purpose. I dunno, maybe have a mechanic where if you do run over some guy its mission over too, that would be realistic.

Thanks guys this is good news!

Collidable deck crew could be good in Single Player but not on Multiplayer with loads of randoms on the boat, great to hear that clients can just 'ghost' through them!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously this shouldn't become a debating matter on whether or not gore should be allowed in a flight simulator, but detecting collision of the aircraft with the flight deck crew would be immensely helpful to not only immersion but telling the pilot to properly follow taxi procedures. Accidentally running over people could also lead to a fratricide score for SP users, some area of your aircraft being damaged, or a trigger-based event in MP that does not suit you for flying. It certainly opens up options. Maybe a simple fade out even would be better than nothing.

I would be fine with the "hey what are you doing?!" voice file being played when a pilot strays too far from the directions of the ground crew, or collides with anybody, but otherwise still ghosts through the ground crew. Or maybe, ground crew just runs out of the way when they might be about to be hit. Many games do that kind of thing.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I can already see an infantry fall over dead with no blood or gore if I drop a bomb nearby, why not model the same with deck crew if impacted hard by jets? If bumped into, the ubiquitous "hey, what are you doing." Would suffice. :)

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

A flight deck is a damned dangerous place,...

I was on carrier quals for a month or so. We had an A7 trap but blew out his nose gear, ingested the chin pieces and fodded the fantail horribly.

And, an F-4 turned for a cat and blew a crew's pin bag away from him and into my face. Broke my glasses under my flight deck helmet's goggles.

Two separate fires in the galley. Apparently, that was normal for CVA-59. One of them spooked me when the frame number called out was similar to the bomb locker.

Anchored just a couple miles offshore of Fort Lauderdale, the liberty call line in the hangar deck was several miles long. Two mess cooks decided to swim for it. Got "rescued" and returned to the boat.

/end sea stories/

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Emit the "hey what are you doing" style, all people on the deck turn at you and start waving hands as emergency etc, and no actions available to you for three-five minutes. So you are locked to that deck.

Better to if you can't see a jump to new aircraft, and the truck appears front of you and will start moving you designated "shame box".

In radio to everyone your flight would be announced dangerous to the fleet multiple times. So everyone can look the roster and see your name on it.

And again raise my idea, such error should be counted as ejection or death, penalty to ED account that you can have five virtual pilots in roster. And reach virtual pilot needs to gain flight hours and successful landing etc to gain rank. And if you eject, you need to wait hours to get that virtual pilot back to roster. If you die..... That virtual pilot is gone. And if you fool around on Deck, strip etc, you get penalties and markings to your flight career.

Anytime anyone can look at your career roster that show your ED account five virtual pilots and their records.

And every server checks and updates those to ED server instantly.

There would be few settings for the level of realism that server owner can set, those are mainly about the penalty times, hardcore realism would be like when pilot ejects, it takes 24-48 hours to come again active from MIA. But if a SAR helicopter pilots will pick up a ejected pilot and return it to back to base, that timer for down to 5 min.

If you eject near airbase etc while taxiing, it is 2-4 hours anyways.

You would learn to obey commands and structure, maintain your 5 virtual pilots career and avoid getting killed or ejected.

ED server would allow create a new virtual pilot one every 24 hours or so. So you can't cheat online.

The rank would be shown to everyone, where most flight hours, most completed sorties and least amount of errors raise rank.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.