INS Alignment Question

GTFreeFlyer

Do I need to be sitting still during INS alignment or can I begin taxiing while waiting for the counter to reach 4.0.0.8? I have always assumed that taxiing would slow it down, so I usually just wait until it’s ready before taxi. I usually spend the time entering LASTE info, DSMS, etc, but these are things I can also do in flight while traveling 70nm to the AO.

I’ve finally got my startup down to 5 minutes or so, but it sure would be nice to be at the runway, ready to go, as soon as INS alignment is complete.

Thanks.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

If you are moving then it switches to inflight alignment which takes longer. How long I don’t know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Next mission I’m playing is a scramble. Just trying to be prepared to go quickly.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Thanks. Next mission I’m playing is a scramble. Just trying to be prepared to go quickly.

The crew sitting on alert would have prepared the aircraft beforehand, which includes aligning the INS. Normal alignment of the INS while moving is not possible. In Flight Alignment is usally only a backup function in case there was some kind of failure and the INS needs to be resetted during flight which is very uncommon.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Don't forget. If you're planning on using any GPS-guided weapons, they need the aircraft to remain stationary while the INS fully aligns, otherwise they won't even drop when you need them. Watch their status on the DSMS. They will go from "ALN UNS" to "ALN RDY" when you can start moving.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 9 months later...
There is also the fast alignment/alt alignment option in the CDU.

It takes about 1.5 min to get Nav Ready flashing when using the stored heading mode. Technically it is a degraded alignment mode but I don't think it makes a difference in DCS.

Ive tried searching and have only found answers to how to fast align via forum members who have been perma banned, so their posts have been deleted. :(

Ive searched the manual and havent really found any procedure for how to do this - could one of you please spell out how to fast align via stored heading mode? Ive gone into the Alt Alignment options and clicked the RSK for FAST but align still takes 4-5 mins. I feel like Im doing something wrong, but havent found an answer for the FAST align procedure.

Appreciate any help!

TJ

As soon as the CDU boots up, press the LSK next to "INS" to go back to the INS page, then LSK for "ALT ALIGN" (alternate alignment) instead of the ALIGN page you started on. If you get lost in the CDU it's through the NAV major page to access the various alignment pages. Then there's a "FAST" LSK to do the fast alignment option.

The FAST option only has the action bullseye for as long as that selection will speed up the alignment. It skips some gyrocompassing initial step which takes some seconds off the beginning of the process. The important part is that if you wait too long to choose the fast option then there is no time savings to be had.

As soon as the CDU boots up, press the LSK next to "INS" to go back to the INS page, then LSK for "ALT ALIGN" (alternate alignment) instead of the ALIGN page you started on. If you get lost in the CDU it's through the NAV major page to access the various alignment pages. Then there's a "FAST" LSK to do the fast alignment option.

The FAST option only has the action bullseye for as long as that selection will speed up the alignment. It skips some gyrocompassing initial step which takes some seconds off the beginning of the process. The important part is that if you wait too long to choose the fast option then there is no time savings to be had.

^^ this is spot on ^^ (and the method I always do when starting the A10C. Also, you can have the ground crew connect ground power, to start the CDU and other systems process even quicker, while multitasking to get the APU and other startup process completed.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria