Maverick Question

Ercoupe

You can’t toggle with the Mavs. If you are referring to the TGP, then that would be your Boat Switch in the key binds to toggle between IR and EO.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I'm flying the practice mission, and I can destroy large targets like the bridges with my mavs, but can't locate the tanks no matter how close I zoom. How do I switch to an infra red picture the way I see them doing in trining videos?

I think the answer is multi-tiered.

First of all, a Mav only has one type of seeker. The type of seeker depends on the model. For example, the AGM-65D has an infrared seeker, the AGM-65E has a laser seeker, and the AGM-65H has a CCD (video) seeker.

(Note, the AGM-65E is not available for us in the A-10C right now, but is available for the Hornet and other aircraft).

If you only have AGM-65H loaded, there's no IR image for you. ;)

It's possible to load two types of Mavericks with the A-10C (one type on station 3, another type on station 9), and toggling the stations/profiles will then allow you to skip through the different models/seekers.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Essays have been written on how to find targets in DCS. It really depends on the mission, and the briefing. Unless you're flying a Desert Storm '91 scenario where you're scouting the Iraqi desert for potential targets, the mission should always give you at least a hint where your targets are. Read all the briefing materials and prepare the mission as best you can.

And don't forget to look out the window. Tank columns off road will leave a dust-trail while moving. Tank columns on roads can be seen from quite some distance, as they're usually much longer than any random/civilian traffic.

Don't fall for the trap of trying to find targets with the Mav seeker or even the TGP. The area on the ground is just too large.

Once you have found enemies, there are several ways to skin the cat. A good and fast way is to boresight the TGP or the Mav, make sure they're SOI, then turn toward the target area and get the Maverick wagon wheel or the TGP diamond near the target. Once there, ground stabilize them (TMS Aft Short). Then slew the sensor to a target.

The Mav sensor always tries to run away from you after slewing, until it finds a target on its own. Hitting TMS Aft Short for ground stabilization will stop the sensor from moving around.

Don't forget to zoom in (China Hat Forward Short = FOV toggle).

In order to track ("lock") a target with the Mav, hit TMS Forward Short when the sensor is over the target. The locking range depends on contrast. The 65D should be able to lock around 6 to 7 nautical miles; for the 65H, it's often a little less, in the 4 to 5 NM range.

If you just can't get a lock, better to turn around and try again, than to run into a Shilka or, worse, CFIT ;)

Hope that helps a little.

If you still have questions, a short track or video recording is always helpful.

Edited by Yurgon
Typo: NM (Nautical Miles), not nm (nano meters) ;)