INS and Gyro Drift.

Zeus67

I had a interesting conversation with a couple of FAE (Ecuadorian Air Force) pilots, regarding INS and gyro drift. The following images are a simplification of what they told me about the issue:

INS%20Gyro%20Drift_zpsexu9ubcw.png

INS%20Gyro%20Drift_zpsixttaumc.png

INS%20Gyro%20Drift_zpsoaregaab.png

As I said before, this is the result of my conversation with them.

The gyro drift is caused by the mechanical components of the INS gyros.

That the direction of the drift is totally random for each flight.

That modern laser ring gyros are more exact than old electro-mechanical ones and subject to less gyro drift but that it still exist in these devices.

That current modern aircrafts, both civilian and combat, no longer use INS as their primary navigation system, relying instead on GPS.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

My mental picture of INS drift is - correct me if I am wrong - that the accellerometers and gyros are not working 100% exact due to friction, etc.

So if I fly a turn, the INS detects a certain heading change, but which is off by a small percentage. There are more than one sensor involved when maneuvering - as usually the aircraft changes it's attitude in more than just one plane. So if I fly that turn, not only the heading change sensed by the INS might be a bit off, but probably also other parameters like altitude or whatnot.

What I try to say ... or ask(?) is, the INS drift does not just depend on flying time, but on the amount of maneuvering. Correct? Now, this 1 nm drift per hour - I understand that is just an average? So if I get into a dog fight, I can assume that (if I survive :o) afterwards my INS is completely messed up and the INS drift would easily exceed 1 nm?

My mental picture of INS drift is - correct me if I am wrong - that the accellerometers and gyros are not working 100% exact due to friction, etc.

So if I fly a turn, the INS detects a certain heading change, but which is off by a small percentage. There are more than one sensor involved when maneuvering - as usually the aircraft changes it's attitude in more than just one plane. So if I fly that turn, not only the heading change sensed by the INS might be a bit off, but probably also other parameters like altitude or whatnot.

What I try to say ... or ask(?) is, the INS drift does not just depend on flying time, but on the amount of maneuvering. Correct? Now, this 1 nm drift per hour - I understand that is just an average? So if I get into a dog fight, I can assume that (if I survive :o) afterwards my INS is completely messed up and the INS drift would easily exceed 1 nm?

No. The gyros are stabilized against aircraft maneuvers. Hard maneuvers will not affect the INS at all. The problem comes not from friction but from stuff like earth's gravity, the coriolis effect on rotating bodies, micro errors in the alignment of the gyros during construction, etc. Stuff that is so small that its effects are only felt during long times.

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

That current modern aircrafts, both civilian and combat, no longer use INS as their primary navigation system, relying instead on GPS.

Indeed the INS drift is regularly canceled by GPS update.

It's INS with embedded GPS.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Thanks for the info! So I have to fly over geographical point to reset the INS. What is this point and can I create it somehow? (or is it somekind of fixed point)

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

As I said before, this is the result of my conversation with them.

The gyro drift is caused by the mechanical components of the INS gyros.

That the direction of the drift is totally random for each flight.

That modern laser ring gyros are more exact than old electro-mechanical ones and subject to less gyro drift but that it still exist in these devices.

Hi Zeus,

My 2 cents on those 4 points:

- no comment

- not exactly: there exist a feature in the INS that "learns" from errors (over several flights) and includes an "auto-correction" feature; as such a feature does exist, then it is proof the drift is not really random. OTOH, it can't be predictable precisely either, so positions update are still needed.

- yes

- this is not exactly true; GPS isn't "smooth" enough to be used as a primary "alone" for all the features an INS provides (provided); the real deal today is a hybrid INS/GPS system, with the INS as primary (still), and GPS as an aid; this has all the advantages of the INS (precision in real time, lots of inertial parameters) without the main disadvantages: 1/ initial position is obtained automatically from a GPS fix (no more typing, slow and error-prone) and 2/ intertial position is updated from GPS fixes all the time without having to manually do that from a known landmark (it's more precise, works everywhere...) => essentially reducing the drift to zero.

++

Az'

spacer.png

- this is not exactly true; GPS isn't "smooth" enough to be used as a primary "alone" for all the features an INS provides (provided); the real deal today is a hybrid INS/GPS system, with the INS as primary (still), and GPS as an aid; this has all the advantages of the INS (precision in real time, lots of inertial parameters) without the main disadvantages: 1/ initial position is obtained automatically from a GPS fix (no more typing, slow and error-prone) and 2/ intertial position is updated from GPS fixes all the time without having to manually do that from a known landmark (it's more precise, works everywhere...) => essentially reducing the drift to zero.

In addition to these points, all INS/GPS equipped aircraft can operate on INS alone using the same manual INS update procedures as pre GPS systems in cases where GPS is not available (jamming etc.). While INS/GPS systems don't usually require manual INS updates, in some situations they may.

The same is true of JDAM and other "GPS" weapons.

Really looking forward to seeing this stuff implemented in a sim.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Thanks for the info! So I have to fly over geographical point to reset the INS. What is this point and can I create it somehow? (or is it somekind of fixed point)

When creating the flightplan, you set one or more waypoints as INS realignment checkpoint. You place the waypoint to precisely overfly a landmark, such as a specific mountain or hill, the confluence of two rivers, etc. A specific and easily recognizable terrain feature so you can overfly it and reset the drift to 0. You can also use a navaid such as a TACAN or VOR station as a checkpoint.

The number of INS realignments that you plan to do is based on expected flight time vs the INS drift rate. In the specific case of the M-2000C, with a 1 nm/h drift rate you can probably do that once every one or two hours.

INS drift will not affect the radar. Radar contacts position are calculated with the aircraft as the center of a circle. Aircraft geographical position is irrelevant.

INS drift will affect the Bullseye and any BE based calculation since those require to know the aircraft position in the world. Same deal with any FP waypoint representation in the VTB.

Hi Zeus,

My 2 cents on those 4 points:

- no comment

- not exactly: there exist a feature in the INS that "learns" from errors (over several flights) and includes an "auto-correction" feature; as such a feature does exist, then it is proof the drift is not really random. OTOH, it can't be predictable precisely either, so positions update are still needed.

- yes

++

Az'

Hi Az,

1. As I said, it is vastly simplified. The reasons why gyro drift exist is quite complex and there are several, highly technical, papers on the issue that you can read if you like to do integral calculus. Basically the INS is so precise that the device itself interferes with its functionality.

2. Yes, I know. But as I said, this is a simplified version of the issue. The point is that you never know or can predict where the drift will happen.

3. No comment. :smilewink:

4. Very likely, the pilot who said that has retired from the air force and is now flying cargo planes for DHL. So it is probably true in his job and is speaking from memory about military aircraft.

Thanks for the updates Zeus, it's cool to "see" this system coming to life.

Quick question: as I understand it at the moment, the synthetic runway display is based on the landing waypoint in your flightplan. Is this going to remain the same or does the real system work differently?

Or more directly, to get a useful synthetic runway display will we need to perform an (accurate) INS fix update prior to landing, or is the system actually independent of the INS?

Thanks for the updates Zeus, it's cool to "see" this system coming to life.

Quick question: as I understand it at the moment, the synthetic runway display is based on the landing waypoint in your flightplan. Is this going to remain the same or does the real system work differently?

Or more directly, to get a useful synthetic runway display will we need to perform an (accurate) INS fix update prior to landing, or is the system actually independent of the INS?

1. I have not decided yet.

2. Yes. You will need to do the fix prior to engaging the APP mode. Correction: I've been told that the INS automatically realigns as soon as the ILS station is captured, so you don't need to do the manual fix.

Edited by Zeus67

Great wealth of information into the system thank you for the clarifications Zeus!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

You shouldn't use the term "realign or align" in flight to remove or reset the INS position. This procedure is "Updating". you are telling the INS ... look I know you are drifting and your position is slightly off let me show you exactly where you are right now, now start computing again using this new updated position.

Aligning and realigning is a completely different procedure usually done on the ground. An INS full alignment takes quite a while ... like 6 or more minutes. A quick alignment can usually be done as well its a lot less accurate but may only take 30secs. Same goes for a stored Heading alignment ... great for Scramble type situations but again inherently less accurate than a full alignment. Think of an Alignment as a complete INS reboot.

Some systems can in an emergency perform a very basic alignment in flight but require wings level flight and typically a velocity input

In addition the use of external navaids like an ILS to "update" the position is always subject to a degree of quality control (done automatically). In the case of an ILS update it typically only uses the localiser info so will only correct in one axis. In the case of the Mir2K I would assume this would only affect the lateral position of the Synthetic rwy and its Course line.

Edited by IvanK

You shouldn't use the term "realign or align" in flight to remove or reset the INS position. This procedure is "Updating". you are telling the INS ... look I know you are drifting and your position is slightly off let me show you exactly where you are right now, now start computing again using this new updated position.

Aligning and realigning is a completely different procedure usually done on the ground. An INS full alignment takes quite a while ... like 6 or more minutes. A quick alignment can usually be done as well its a lot less accurate but may only take 30secs. Same goes for a stored Heading alignment ... great for Scramble type situations but again inherently less accurate than a full alignment. Think of an Alignment as a complete INS reboot.

Some systems can in an emergency perform a very basic alignment in flight but require wings level flight and typically a velocity input

In addition the use of external navaids like an ILS to "update" the position is always subject to a degree of quality control (done automatically). In the case of an ILS update it typically only uses the localiser info so will only correct in one axis. In the case of the Mir2K I would assume this would only affect the lateral position of the Synthetic rwy and its Course line.

Thanks for the clarification in concepts.

Cant the INS use ILS / TACAN + Radar Altimeter / Baro + Compass all at once?

that should give a pretty accurate picture (at least relative to 1nm drift)

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The gyros used in relative modern INS systems are not mechanical, but so called ring laser gyros, where a laser beam is send through mirrors and the time it takes for the light to reach the detector after having been send throught the mirrors are measured..

This time is affected by movement a bit like we know from the Doppler effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_laser_gyroscope

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

As a side note, about the INS/GPS modern systems:

This is what happens when implementation got it wrong (and is "too much" confident about GPS signals): [ame]http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/GENOT_7110_711_EMB-300.pdf[/ame]

System should have detected GPS problem and reverted to INS source "only". Didn't. Woops.

= = = = =

The gyros used in relative modern INS systems are not mechanical, but so called ring laser gyros

I'm not sure M-2000C's INS is "modern" enough, though.

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

Cant the INS use ILS / TACAN + Radar Altimeter / Baro + Compass all at once?

that should give a pretty accurate picture (at least relative to 1nm drift)

The concept of the INS is that it is (or can be) completely self-contained and never need to rely on an external source. It is MIJI (Meaconing, Intrusion, Jamming and Interference) proof, and 1-2nm/hr is a small price to pay to have independence from external navaids.

It's not as accurate as an EGI system (which uses encrypted GPS to update the inertial), but it was state of the art back then, and it will get you into the target area and back.

It's also the responsibility of the pilot (and RIO/WSO in a 2-seater) to keep a nav picture, of which the INS is a single datapoint for developing SA.

1. As I said, it is vastly simplified. The reasons why gyro drift exist is quite complex and there are several, highly technical, papers on the issue that you can read if you like to do integral calculus. Basically the INS is so precise that the device itself interferes with its functionality.

If you guys want to learn a bit about inertial error correction, just google "Kalman Filter". Long story short, it's an algorithm that dampens inertial drift and limits it to a more predictable linear drift rate.

• 2 weeks later...