What is planned for the CM panel?

VTJS17_Fire

Hi Razbam,

I asked several times in other threads but didn't get an answer yet, so here's a dedicated thread.

I'm not on my pc, so I took a shot of Chucks tutorial:

attachment.php?attachmentid=148843&stc=1&d=1474797114

The countermeasures panel of the M-2000C has an knob for dispenser programs and the 3-way switch for the dispenser mode. Both aren't modelled at the time.

So my question is: Is it planned to implement these functions?

The A-10C has a similar panel, where you can entry/ edit your programms in cockpit. I think, that's not possible in the Mirage (at least, I don't see where this should be), so the solution should be via the aircraft options tab in the mission editor or via the kneeboards, like in the F-5E.

If I'm read it correct, there are some functions of the Eclair panel (left side, canopy), which aren't implemented yet, as well. Is there an update planned?

Kind regards,

Fire

cmpanel.JPG.6f525f79882e0f12d60a569b2e172db8.JPG

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A simple "wip" or "Not planned" would be ok ...

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't speak for the devs, but I guess that every feature possible with the current DCS engine will be implemented. The CM launching is working manually so an essential feature is there. As you see from the updates they are currently improving the INS, RWR and ground targeting modes. I am sure the CM profiles will come in due time.

As long as we are discussing CM...

The Jammer key assignments are really strange; jammer ON, OFF and TEST are working ok, but Jammer ACTIVATE is messing both with jammer power switch and jammer mode switch. And you can't put the mode switch back into VEILLE unless you click on it.

So if you want to switch jamming on and off IRL, would you really be doing that using the power switch? Or is it a bad button mechanic in the sim?

Yes i`v mentioned this before , really annoying, and to be honest i cant even tell if i`m jamming right away or the system needs to 'warm up' again after shutting down the power.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. Countermeasures programming is in the schedule.

2. VEILLE does not turn the jammer OFF in RL, it places it in Standby mode. Remember that in real life the jammer can jam its own radar, something that will not be simulated.

Since I am speaking from memory and not from my notes, I could be wrong. But I do know this: the jammer has a radar priority mode. That mode stops the jammer from transmitting but does not turn it off. There are two control switches for this function: One in the ECM control panel and another in the HOTAS. The Three Position Switch in the Control panel probably works like this: JAM, HOTAS CONTROLLED, RADAR. The HOTAS rocker switch is probably locked on JAM, but you can click it to clear your radar and use it for a while. Or probably it works the other way.

There is no public information on this device and we are working only from reading the switches labels in order to determine the best logical functionality.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Is there a certain reason for this?

I would guess DCS simply doesnt have the RADAR model atm.

Zeus said before he would do what is possible after conversation with ED. But would be indeed be interesting why. :) Bc' I am only speculating.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Thanks Zeus! :thumbup:

But, without any source to prove it - how can the own ECM jam your own Radar?

The Radar is the farthest forward sensor of the Mirage (except the pitot tube) and transmitts to the front. The jammer sits behind the Radar, right? The correct frequency (and all that stuff) which needs to be interpreted has to be received from that point. So, how can the ECM which sits behind the Radar (and its waves) jam this sensor? :huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jammer isn't a laser beam, it's a wide aperture emitter, and most fighter's fire control radar works in the same frequency band (9.5 to 10GHz).

So real RWR can have ambiguity, and jammer can jam other friendly radars or cause interference with your own equipments (radar, RWR)

That being said, there are ways to deal with it, but it's classified, and well above the level of electronic warfare being simulated in public Sims.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The Jammer key assignments are really strange; jammer ON, OFF and TEST are working ok, but Jammer ACTIVATE is messing both with jammer power switch and jammer mode switch. And you can't put the mode switch back into VEILLE unless you click on it.

I agree with you. The purpose of the Jammer ACTIVATE input is to make sure that you have all you need to get the jammer jamming. So it's OK to have it make 2 things:

- power switch to "M" (if not already)

- selector to "[]" (if not already)

Now, if you use this input a second time (i.e. using it as a toggle), then I think there is a mistake (in current input code).

So if you want to switch jamming on and off IRL, would you really be doing that using the power switch?

No. You would use the selector back to VEI.

Zeus, could you look into it? That's #35851 :)

spacer.png

So, how can the ECM which sits behind the Radar (and its waves) jam this sensor? :huh:

Don't forget that the radar EMITS, but it also RECEIVES. So if the emission from a source behind the radar is of correct properties, it may be received by the radar even if its dish is pointing in the opposite direction.

Just like for example when a radar works, there is also radiation (harmful) behind it in the cockpit. I read somewhere that in the MiG31 pilots had to wear protective clothing, that's how intense was the radiation in the rear of the radar.

I agree with you. The purpose of the Jammer ACTIVATE input is to make sure that you have all you need to get the jammer jamming. So it's OK to have it make 2 things:

- power switch to "M" (if not already)

- selector to "[]" (if not already)

Now, if you use this input a second time (i.e. using it as a toggle), then I think there is a mistake (in current input code).

No. You would use the selector back to VEI.

Zeus, could you look into it? That's #35851 :)

Yes, that seems logical. So there should be another command available for Jammer STANDBY which would push the EW mode button into VEI position.

1. Countermeasures programming is in the schedule.

2. VEILLE does not turn the jammer OFF in RL, it places it in Standby mode. Remember that in real life the jammer can jam its own radar, something that will not be simulated.

Since I am speaking from memory and not from my notes, I could be wrong. But I do know this: the jammer has a radar priority mode. That mode stops the jammer from transmitting but does not turn it off. There are two control switches for this function: One in the ECM control panel and another in the HOTAS. The Three Position Switch in the Control panel probably works like this: JAM, HOTAS CONTROLLED, RADAR. The HOTAS rocker switch is probably locked on JAM, but you can click it to clear your radar and use it for a while. Or probably it works the other way.

There is no public information on this device and we are working only from reading the switches labels in order to determine the best logical functionality.

Thanks Zeus!

I only think that the EW mode switch is STANDBY-HOTAS CONTROLLED-JAM (priority CM). And I doubt that the ECM button on HOTAS would be locked to JAM. Jamming is not something you want on all the time, except when you temporarily push a button to switch it off. I think that Chuck did it right in his guide. But this is all just my logical thinking, I certainly don't have any definite info.

Keep up the good work, M2000C is really a wonderful module. Ironically, it reveals the age and the lackings of the DCS engine! :)