Upcoming RDI Radar changes

Zeus67

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting... could you tell us more about it if you can?

RDI NCTR, what little info about it that we have, works only in STT and only if the target is flying towards you.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

so it defines aircraft by category like B/A/F/H or by exact type like Il-76/Su-25/Mig-29/Mi-8 ?

In combination with hot aspect I guess type, since the radar reflection of engines/their intakes are pretty unique.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

There are a lot of NCTR techniques, JEM is just one of them. It's not always possible to know which techniques are being used.

In combination with hot aspect I guess type, since the radar reflection of engines/their intakes are pretty unique.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

so it defines aircraft by category like B/A/F/H or by exact type like Il-76/Su-25/Mig-29/Mi-8 ?

No information on that. This is a heavily classified issue, just like how ECM and RWR really work.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

No information on that. This is a heavily classified issue, just like how ECM and RWR really work.

So whats your plan for the RWR? Have you decided on an implementation however simplified it is?

Will you also improve it visually, for example increase the symbol sizes and add additional ones instead of the bunch of UK? And finally radar missiles launches.

I think after the magic slaving, we only need a new RWR to be 100% combat ready.

Cant say it eniugh, you guys did an outstanding job!

By Type.

Pretty much the main reason for the NCTR was for IFF.

To let you determine the type of the enemy aircraft at BVR range thus helping you ID it as a friend or a enemy.

In most combat scenarios you would know beforehand what aircraft types your side is flying and what the enemy is flying.

Lets say your side has Mirage 2000s F-16s and F-15s and the enemy has Mig-29s and Mig-21s.

You see a target on your radar and you lock it up with your radar and the NCTR tells you what type the target is.

So if it says Mig-29 or Mig-21 you know it has to be hostile as there are no friendlies operating those aircraft types.

Where as if it comes back as F-16 or F-15 you know they are friendlies.

This can be used together with IFF transponders so you have a two layer system to further reduce the chance of Blue on Blue incidents.

So if the IFF system fails for some reason you can still ID the target allowing for a BVR shot.

Edited by mattebubben

By Type.

Pretty much the main reason for the NCTR was for IFF.

To let you determine the type of the enemy aircraft at BVR range thus helping you ID it as a friend or a enemy.

In most combat scenarios you would know beforehand what aircraft types your side is flying and what the enemy is flying.

Lets say your side has Mirage 2000s F-16s and F-15s and the enemy has Mig-29s and Mig-21s.

You see a target on your radar and you lock it up with your radar and the NCTR tells you what type the target is.

So if it says Mig-29 or Mig-21 you know it has to be hostile as there are no friendlies operating those aircraft types.

Where as if it comes back as F-16 or F-15 you know they are friendlies.

This can be used together with IFF transponders so you have a two layer system to further reduce the chance of Blue on Blue incidents.

So if the IFF system fails for some reason you can still ID the target allowing for a BVR shot.

Your posts are hard to read mate, try to format a bit more don't slap an enter 2 times after every sentence just some friendly advice

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Are internally all radar bugs been resolved?

I'm curious about it too. Is the radar so sensitive in real life too? I'm loosing lock so often, even if I keep flying straight, or keep the target inside the hud. I was trying to develop some tactics to counter this, doppler effect etc., but it's so random and inconsistent, that I can't come to any conclusion about it.

I'm curious about it too. Is the radar so sensitive in real life too? I'm loosing lock so often, even if I keep flying straight, or keep the target inside the hud. I was trying to develop some tactics to counter this, doppler effect etc., but it's so random and inconsistent, that I can't come to any conclusion about it.

Check what the enemy aircraft is doing. Look at a tacview for example. I find the mirage 2000 radar pretty good. The moments I do lose lock is when the enemy is in a notch.

That is why I tend to fly lower than the target I am looking at so that it is more difficult for him to go in a effective notch with terrain behind him.

Are the radars en RWR working as described in the manual? If not I don't want to spend time figuring out what is working / implemented and what is not....totally frustrating.

was asking the same questions before reading this post :-)

somebody any idea?

thanks

bixio

Are internally all radar bugs been resolved?

No, Zeus just confirmed that TWS still has a bug that causes you to drop targets shortly after you bug them, especially if you maneuver or roll. He said it's a bug that ED has to fix.

Losing lock in STT happens to me frequently too, even when the target is above the horizon. So far as I know STT works as it should, but I find it suspicious.

it's so random and inconsistent, that I can't come to any conclusion about it.

Same here.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

No, Zeus just confirmed that TWS still has a bug that causes you to drop targets shortly after you bug them, especially if you maneuver or roll. He said it's a bug that ED has to fix.

Losing lock in STT happens to me frequently too, even when the target is above the horizon. So far as I know STT works as it should, but I find it suspicious.

Same here.

It's really strange. I can crank hard and never loose the STT lock in look up.

Would you have a track ?

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Hi gavagai

My advice about this is to bring the subject with a precise example as much as possible. A track for example.

If not, then developpers won't be able to track the potential bug.

I fully understand that it's not really possible when you see the "bug" (?) during a multiplayer flight, and that it takes time to try to reproduce it afterwards.

But then situation may stay as it is for long...

spacer.png

I know, you are both correct. I do not know how to reliably reproduce it so putting some evidence forward is difficult.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria