why should the stick be held backward during taxi? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
too-cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillKelsoe View Post
I think its moot.. I usually taxi at walking pace never exceeding 50 km/h ������������

with that unsaid, I might find it useful during setting up the invisible compass. The one that drives people nuts when wanting to see where the heck youre going, lurching inside the cockpit, hell baby curling and scooting to the sides...

She indeed is a sensitive plane, the hardest I have come across in all regimes compared to the 109 or the Piffty One...
would it be possible to have a feature like the kneeboard for the compass, it shows the compass but it also allows one to make adjustments to the compass while it being showed in kneeboard mode?
Win7 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 850AT ps | Asus Rampage 5 Edition 10 MB | I7 6850K @4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 32GB DDR4-3200 Gskill Mem | Asus 1080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 24" 1440 Monitor | X55 Rhino F/C | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |
too-cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by too-cool View Post
would it be possible to have a feature like the kneeboard for the compass, it shows the compass but it also allows one to make adjustments to the compass while it being showed in kneeboard mode?
I noticed in your sig the crosswind pedals. How do you apply brakes in the Spit? Its not a bad idea to have it as a pop up like the new GNS420. True it would kill immersion unless it can be exported to other screen or to helios (which either I dont have).

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #13
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillKelsoe View Post
I noticed in your sig the crosswind pedals. How do you apply brakes in the Spit?
You can fake a kind of "toe brakes" for Spit assign both pedal brakes for "Wheel brakes" and tune the axes curves, and use pressing brake pedal and moving the rudder bar for same side, a bit awkward (2 simultaneous movement with foot) but fill the need for "toe brakes" of some.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
too-cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
You can fake a kind of "toe brakes" for Spit assign both pedal brakes for "Wheel brakes" and tune the axes curves, and use pressing brake pedal and moving the rudder bar for same side, a bit awkward (2 simultaneous movement with foot) but fill the need for "toe brakes" of some.
I assigned both pedals to the brake axis. TC
Win7 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 850AT ps | Asus Rampage 5 Edition 10 MB | I7 6850K @4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 32GB DDR4-3200 Gskill Mem | Asus 1080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 24" 1440 Monitor | X55 Rhino F/C | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |
too-cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
TWC_SLAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
That's simply the way to taxi any taildragger (in no-wind or headwind conditions).
If you have to add power, e.g. when turning, or when braking you simply don't want to even slighlty increase the tendency to nose over.
Furthermore it's the most comfortable position to hold the stick during taxiing.
Exactly. If DCS ever adds realistic wind, most of you wil need to learn about which way to move the controls during taxi turns to keep the plane from flipping over.
TWC_SLAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:13 AM   #16
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

well here is the thing, I mapped them before as you described but found it really awkward. On my warty I mapped brakes to the paddle switch on stick and unmapped them. Now I taxi more or less a bit cosily.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:32 AM   #17
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Yes, is more easy just tap a button on joystick grip and move the rudder bar for brake right or left wheel than press the pedal and move the rudder at same time, but some people think that only "toe brakes" is brakes.

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 12-04-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
Yes, is more easy just tap a button on joystick grip and move the rudder bar for brake right or left wheel than press the pedal and move the rudder at same time, but some people think that only "toe brakes" is brakes.
You know if I get my hands on a VKB MCG or other analog brake sticks it would be irrelevant this thread. Unfortunately my warty can not have a third analog axis.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #19
mkiii

I use the paddle switch for intermittent braking, using the W command, "Wheel Brakes" as in the real thing, but also use the TMS Up and Down buttons to control "Wheel Brakes Increase" & "Wheel Brakes Decrease", to allow me to set the position of the brake lever to any position for either full parking brake or just a little. A quick touch of the brake lever releases the brakes from this setting immediately. It works quite well imo.
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #20
Weegie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
I use the paddle switch for intermittent braking, using the W command, "Wheel Brakes" as in the real thing, but also use the TMS Up and Down buttons to control "Wheel Brakes Increase" & "Wheel Brakes Decrease", to allow me to set the position of the brake lever to any position for either full parking brake or just a little. A quick touch of the brake lever releases the brakes from this setting immediately. It works quite well imo.
I was just going to add that tip about the wheelbrake increase/decrease command.

I have it mapped to the CMS Fwd/Back but wherever is comfortable for you. It's also a great way to apply the brakes during landing once rudder authority has decreased to zero, a quick flip and the brakes are on.

As a virtual pilot, I understand the "Haul it Back" brigade but as mentioned it's not necessary and IMHO makes little difference.

I don't even have the stick back on take off, following YoYo's advice and the Spit flies herself off without any problem.

Action on the rudder can get quite busy, but apart from that no problem
Weegie is offline   Reply With Quote