Average Age of DCS Players?

mytai01

50. Ug. How the hell did that happen?

Dabbled with earlier sims but the ones I first put time into were

and

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

18, FSX was my first sim

DCS Modules Owned:A-10C, FC3, Yak-52, F/A-18C, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-5E, M-2000C, L-39, Hawk T.1A, C-101EB/CC, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, BF-109K4, FW-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50, F-86, DCS:CA, WWII assets, F-14A/A+/B

DCS Terrains Owned: All

PLEASE MAKE UH-60L and AH-64D!!! :pilotfly:

36, and simming since F-15 Strike Eagle III

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I'm turning 48 in a week.

TFX by D.I.D. was my first FlightSim, some dozen R/C aircrafts and countless other sims later I gave it all up for DCS alone LoL.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

37 here, F-19 was the first i "flew" longer than 15minutes, but iam/was also an active simracer and there were also tons of "old farts" behind the virtual wheels . GT Legends, rfactor etc maybe on iracing too.

gaming iron: i7 4790k, 16GB Ram, nvidia gtx 1080 8GB, all watercooled, g25 pedals, logitech exteme 3d pro

• 4 weeks later...
Myself and a Co-worker we're talking about the age of pc game players. I told him that I haven't seen or heard of youngsters playing DCS. What is the average age?

40 y.o. here, nearly 41. Been flight simming on-and-off since I was about 7 or 8, and yes, DCS World actually DID exist back then (believe it or not). I remember playing it in my hometown of Pointe Claire, Quebec, when relatively few people had home PCs and Internet access--but it was all there if you wanted it.

Yes, DCS World really has been around that long--if not longer!! I kid you not! We had the Bf-109 and Su-27, A-10C, and the F-15--and of course, the Su-25T that came with it.

I'll be danged if I recall where on earth we got a computer that would run it back in the mid-1980s, around 1985 or thereabouts, but it really was around back then and it took what was an insane video card in those days to run it. Graphically, it has improved, but it has always taken ages for updates/improvements to get released. Flight modelling was already pretty good, and yes, there were discussion forums, and yes, people griped about bugs and argued over flight model accuracy, and complained about how long it took for updates and new modules to get released. So little has changed!

DCS World must be one of the world's oldest video games that still gets played and updated. And, as far as I'm concerned, it's still one of very, very few that deserves it's decades-long staying power.

I guess I sound like I'm making this all up, but I'm absolutely not. This game is a third of a century old. Kerbal Space Program and the Fallout games were around back then, too. I played 'em all.

Mid-1980s.

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

...we got a computer that would run it back in the mid-1980s, around 1985 or thereabouts, but it really was around back then and it took what was an insane video card in those days to run it...

DCS World must be one of the world's oldest video games that still gets played and updated...

Think you're off by about 10 years. :) The seminal Eagle Dynamics title "Su-27 Flanker" was published by SSI in 1995(6?). LockOn: Modern Air Combat, published by Ubisoft and 1C Company, followed later. DCS World made its appearance around 2008 or so.

But you're right. It's been around in some form for a long time now and it's still very enjoyable.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I'm 31, my first flight sim was the 16 colour DOS version of Red Baron, but i would say the average age, not age range, is 35...

when I played IL2FB, now called IL2 1946, in the early 2000s (i really miss those days), most of the people I played with were 50+, but i think younger people are more interested in jets and gadgets than ww2 prop planes...

also think IL2FB is the oldest flight sim that still has a following

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Think you're off by about 10 years. :) The seminal Eagle Dynamics title "Su-27 Flanker" was published by SSI in 1995(6?). LockOn: Modern Air Combat, published by Ubisoft and 1C Company, followed later. DCS World made its appearance around 2008 or so.

But you're right. It's been around in some form for a long time now and it's still very enjoyable.

Nope, it's been around since the mid 80s if not sooner. People were playing DCSW back then. I'm not off by 10 years--it actually was around.

There were even laptop computers that could run it.

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

50 here.....

Been addicted to aircraft since a kid. Spent years in the RAF and managed to get a bit of flying in (I was ground crew - aircraft propulsion - not aircrew) and know the Harrier and Tornado like the back of my hand! so I'm really looking forward to getting my mits on RAZBAM's Harrier soon, see how realistic it really is :) Got my PPL-M (Microlights) in my early 30's. Flown a few hundred hours with that, but have given up RL flying now mainly due to rising costs, so DCS now feeds my addiction biggrin.gif DCS in VR is about the closest you can get to flying without actually flying!.

First flight sim was Spitfire 40 from mid 80's I think, can't remember who made it now.......

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Nope, it's been around since the mid 80s if not sooner. People were playing DCSW back then. I'm not off by 10 years--it actually was around.

There were even laptop computers that could run it.

You are confused:

http://www.listal.com/list/evolution-combat-flight-simulators

Ironhand is quite correct.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

DCS World made its appearance around 2008 or so.

Actually, 'DCS World' did not exist until 2012. Prior to that we had three standalone sims (FC2, DCS A-10C and Black Shark) that were integrated to become DCS World in 2012.

Technically, only DCS A-10C was integrated into the newly created DCS World product since Black Shark and FC2 required the purchase of an upgraded product for use with DCS World.

From April 8, 2012

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=86848

Later in 2012, The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics will transition the DCS series to a core-based system. What do we mean by a core-based system? This means that the main DCS engine that includes the GUI interface will serve as the core that content modules plug into it.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Actually, 'DCS World' did not exist until 2012. Prior to that we had three standalone sims (FC2, DCS A-10C and Black Shark) that were integrated to become DCS World in 2012.

Technically, only DCS A-10C was integrated into the newly created DCS World product since Black Shark and FC2 required the purchase of an upgraded product for use with DCS World.

Lock On Modern Air Combat started it in 2009???

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]