Essay, PART 1: Why taildraggers are tricky and how to overcome it! - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #11
Precog

Great essay....thank you

I start my real world tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria next month... I hope its not as challenging as the DCS spitifire, otherwise my training school better have good insurance policy! It took me a couple of hours of frustration and 30 wrecked spitfires before I could finally takeoff and land the spitfire consistently. Can't imagine what it would be like with a gusty crosswind in real life.

How much does the bitumen surface play a part in the ground handling of the spitfire? I thought i read that grass makes handling a lot easier - and I wonder if this will be modelled in the Normandy map.

On a side note, I find the DCS p51 mustang much easier to takeoff and land than the spitfire - I guess all aircraft are different. I'm hoping the Citabria will be gentle with me otherwise Im going back to 'normal' planes '

Precog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
ZoRPA

Great read! My greatest difficulty lies in the fact that I don't have rudder pedals, but my joystick has a twist grip rudder. It adds a whole new dimension having all the movement in one place.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #13
humptydumpty

DCS has made me understand a lot about dynamics than any other sim. And this info is just fantastic to read.

But i find give her a nose heavy helps. but i always break the prop by hitting nose on ground when i break , even when i am breaking like a pulse. Back pressure helps only at times.

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

Last edited by humptydumpty; 12-19-2016 at 09:05 AM.
humptydumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #14
Chief Instructor

Smile

*** UPDATE ***

Thanks to everyone for your kind words after reading my scribblings. I really enjoyed writing it for you as in a way, it rekindled some of that excitement I felt when I first started out flying more exciting aircraft. It's truly rewarding imparting what peals of wisdom you've accumulated over the years, particularly to those keen to learn. I've been reciting this stuff for so long that I'd almost forgotten that some people actually still want to hear it! I haven't instructed professionally for 3 years now but being a part of the sim community has gone a long way filling that particular void, so thanks again for your appreciation.

With that out of the way... If I may, I'd like to hit you with a load more about the secret lives of taildraggers. In particular, some of the more advanced aspects of getting the aircraft airborne safely, what matters an what doesn't. I'll also explore some of the lesser discussed elements to a successful landing and roll out. Some of the obvious and less obvious stuff. You may be a bit surprised by some of it!

First though, I have to endure a Christmas shopping session in town, something which I fear more than anything aviation has ever thrown at me! Assuming I survive the ordeal, I'll catch you all later...
RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Water Cooler
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 @ 850W
Storage: SSD x5 Various makes & Models
Input: TM HOTAS WH
Output: Samsung 40" LED TV
VR: Oculus Rift CV1
Audio: Realtek + LG 5.1 Home cinema + Astro A40
Chief Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #15
Wissam24

I actually filmed my feet to show someone else what they look like when taking off in a Spitfire. Would love to get a critique from you! Either way, I've got takeoff and landing nailed now. As you say it's not instinctive or natural at all and really needs to be developed through trial and error until your feet are working by themselves. But it's incredible to hear how authentic dcs is - gives those of us not lucky enough to be in your field hope!

Last edited by Wissam24; 12-19-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Wissam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #16
humptydumpty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Instructor View Post
*** UPDATE ***

Thanks to everyone for your kind words after reading my scribblings. I really enjoyed writing it for you as in a way, it rekindled some of that excitement I felt when I first started out flying more exciting aircraft. It's truly rewarding imparting what peals of wisdom you've accumulated over the years, particularly to those keen to learn. I've been reciting this stuff for so long that I'd almost forgotten that some people actually still want to hear it! I haven't instructed professionally for 3 years now but being a part of the sim community has gone a long way filling that particular void, so thanks again for your appreciation.

With that out of the way... If I may, I'd like to hit you with a load more about the secret lives of taildraggers. In particular, some of the more advanced aspects of getting the aircraft airborne safely, what matters an what doesn't. I'll also explore some of the lesser discussed elements to a successful landing and roll out. Some of the obvious and less obvious stuff. You may be a bit surprised by some of it!

First though, I have to endure a Christmas shopping session in town, something which I fear more than anything aviation has ever thrown at me! Assuming I survive the ordeal, I'll catch you all later...
more the merrier

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC
humptydumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #17
Zunzun

As everybody else big, big thanks to Chief instructor for taking your time in writing all of this for us. And consequently to DCS for doing such a superb work.
Funnily enough before reading this and after scratching many wing tips and breaking a few ones too (not to forget mentioning those poor aircrews ruined) I figured out about the pedal dancing. Then I thought I was kind of cheating or that the module, as in beta, wasn't polished enough. I am now delighted to find out it is actually the correct way of managing a correctly modelled behaviour.

Superb!
Zunzun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #18
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Instructor View Post
*** UPDATE ***

Eagerly awaiting your writings .

Good luck with your duties .

S!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #19
bongodriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wissam24 View Post
I actually filmed my feet to show someone else what they look like when taking off in a Spitfire. Would love to get a critique from you! Either way, I've got takeoff and landing nailed now. As you say it's not instinctive or natural at all and really needs to be developed through trial and error until your feet are working by themselves. But it's incredible to hear how authentic dcs is - gives those of us not lucky enough to be in your field hope!

Your video doesn't seem to play for me.

Here's a video of mine that shows what my feet do handling another quirky British taildragger.

Nice post by Chief instructor and I second very much the difference VR makes to flight siming, I also think that something like force feedback rudders would be a vast improvement in our lives too.

Last edited by bongodriver; 12-19-2016 at 11:16 AM.
bongodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #20
Retu81

I don't have Spitfire, but one thing I really had trouble in 109 was the gyroscopic force produced by the engine or trying to lift the plane off the runway too early. Then it clicked: all I had to do was insert proper take-off trim, pull the stick fully back until about 100 km/h then center it, while maintaining the centerline with rudder/brakes and let the thing just fly off the runway on its own. If you try to force the plane on two main wheels the gyroscopic effect will push you to one side if you don't catch it immediately with pedals. If you're late, then you'll drive off the runway from the other side.
Retu81 is offline   Reply With Quote