Flying with my joystick & throttle (newbie)

TonyStovepipe

Hi all.

I got the Huey today and I wonder what I can do with the controls I got to improve flying helicopters.

I know I have just started so my skill level zero right now lol.

I'm using the T16000 stick and cheaper TM throttle for A10c as well.

joystick.jpg

I am going to make another control box for the Huey start up switches and most used.

From my understanding a real cyclic and collective are not held in place by springs or anything and just held there by the pilot?

So my joystick that has a very strong spring would be bad thing?

I think I read you can cable tie the spring to make it not so strong but I will do my research on how to do that.

Thanks for any advice :)

I do like an extended stick with everything in DCS but especially with choppers. It simply allows better fine control of the cyclic.

I use the Thrustmaster hawg stick with a wassy1000 extension and for me this works just perfectly, extending the stick allows a far greater range of movement but also allows a finer and greater precision around the centre point of movement. This is critical for choppers.

I have no input to give regarding the collective as my warthog seems fine indeed.

As a side note, I would recommend the vibrating jet seat.

In most instances, I cannot think of any other device that gives the virtual pilot more feedback to what is happening to your virtual airframe than this simple and interactive device.

highly recommended to the chopper pilot.... Superb when the jet pilot pulls a curve a stalls the inner wing.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

In response to your question about the stick:

How the stick behaves when you let go of it depends a little bit on the helicopter in question. The thing people tell you about springs is that a real Huey stick doesn't self-center, as a usual PC stick with springs does.

But don't worry, it's perfectly flyable with a stock flight stick and has a trimmer mode that lets you let go of it (let it recenter) and keep the in-game cyclic where you pressed the button. In real life it would stay in place then.

In other news: nice control box you got there. I'm still fiddling with my attempts at that.

If you don't already have a set a set of pedals I'd recommend getting a set, there an awesome addition for both Helicopter and planes I couldn't really go back to no pedals for flight simming.

I have Frankensteined a Logitech 3D Pro joystick it's still a WIP. Clearly it needs to be tested extensively right?

I should update that thread as I now have a grip on the cyclic. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Thank you both.

The throttle tip come in hand :)

And I was looking at the rumble matt that goes on your seat but I think pedals would be more important first as I don't have them yet?

Absolutely, good pedals are a must, especially for helicopters. I used to use twist ruder before I got my pedals, and the difference is huge!

In response to your question about the stick:

How the stick behaves when you let go of it depends a little bit on the helicopter in question. The thing people tell you about springs is that a real Huey stick doesn't self-center, as a usual PC stick with springs does.

But don't worry, it's perfectly flyable with a stock flight stick and has a trimmer mode that lets you let go of it (let it recenter) and keep the in-game cyclic where you pressed the button. In real life it would stay in place then.

In other news: nice control box you got there. I'm still fiddling with my attempts at that.

Thank you

I'm buying some cheap joystick and turn it into cheap collective I hope lol.

Does the collective move if you let it go or does it hold itself in place?

Cheers.

Thank you

Cheers.

"Limited experience" The collective stays where you leave it. You need to be able to adjust switches etc,

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Thank you

Cheers.

Most or at least many helicopters' collective controls will move from position if let alone. But it is also normal to have some kind of adjustable friction to increase force required to move it and also to leave it in a fixed position.

As per the Huey always hands at controls, if you have to use your left hand you can press the collective control with your left knee (it is not affected by the force trim). So with regard to the sim, it is OK if it stays in place.

In the INPUT OUTPUT thread, there's a subthread HOME COCKPIT BUILDS. There are a number of people who posted home built collectives. Take a look and you'll get some ideas.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks I will make a thread in the home made section when I have something going on :D

Pedals are next on my shopping list for sure now getting the Huey.

Cheers.

You have quite a few to choose from. I think Milan's MFD Rudders are awesome. I'm told Slaw and VKB ones are awesome as well. So you'll have fun trying to decide which one makes sense for you! Enjoy.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I can recommend the VKB pedals, great piece of kit for helicopters and the Spitfire. Lack of toe brakes can be an issue with any modules or other sims that need it, but it's not a major problem.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1