Help me land the F14. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-27-2019, 01:33 AM   #1
Xthedarkknight99x

Default Help me land the F14.

Any mentors or people willing to plan a time to hangout with me and possibly tell me how I can fix what I am doing wrong?

So I'm having major issues getting the F14 on the ground properly.

This is something I want to do. The idea here is that I will be able land properly on land and then on the carrier.

I've watched so many videos good and bad and try to mimic in and I fail.

I've basically watched every video I could find on the pilot seat. I've practiced getting aoa while not landing.

I can get the aircraft on AOA while I am not trying to land but the minute I try for a case one. It goes to hell.
Things that get me. Getting on speed with the E bracket. I adjust the trim add and remove power but it never seems to want to come down. I'm always chasing it away.

fighting this effect causes me to gain altitude randomly or get what I know as the wobbles and fall out of the sky.

I generally fly everyday.. and while not focused on landing I like bringing her back. I've learned more about this aircraft than I ever did with the F18.

And I dont wanna give up.

I am super grateful for the help because I love this as much as everyone else and dont want to give up.
Xthedarkknight99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:37 AM   #2
grant977

To start turn the hud off use the AOA indexer only. Take a nice long pattern get her on speed and trimmed then turn in and fly the approach. Takes time but it will be much better without chasing the bracket or velocity vector. Neither update fast enough in the F14 to be of use.

HUD is NoT a primary flight instrument in the F14. Mainly for weapons delivery.

Hope this will help a little.
grant977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
lunaticfringe

Sounds like a case of not using DLC.

You can be on speed AoA with just wings, with wings and flaps engaged, but to be on speed with DLC engaged puts you in the state where you can really control the descent rate with the throttle. You can even use it to initiate a descent rate if the plane is stuck in a climb if you hold it forward.

Run around dirty in the landing configuration, put the jet on speed AoA, and mess with the DLC to get a feel for how long you can engage it for descent and how to catch it with the throttle. Then you'll be where you need to be to get it down properly both on land, and in a case 1.
lunaticfringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:11 AM   #4
Xthedarkknight99x

I've heard of using the AOA instead of the hud. Is there a reason why the hud would be different then the AoA indexer ?

DLC does get used and unfortunately that is when I fall out of the sky.

The other Issue I find is getting lined up with the run way. I've read that its a 45 to 60 degree bank. Is that right ? When doing a case one how far to the right of the run way or carrier should I be?
Xthedarkknight99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:55 AM   #5
Sirius

The HUD's velocity tape is highly inaccurate. It should not be regarded for landing whatsoever, as pilots used their AoA indexer and the variometer to determine the rate of vertical acceleration.

The DLC (Direct Lift Control) is also very important to use. Having it on allows you to "fine tune" like an airbrake, except on the wings to help you speed up or slow down quicker giving you a sweet spot that you can dynamically move in.

Spoiler:

PC Specs: AMD Ryzen 5, AMD Radeon RX 580, 24 GB DDR4, 128 SSD, 2 TB HDD
Modules: All but Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-21, and Normandy.
Discord: Sirius#0002
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
SacredRaziel

I am more than willing to help. But usually I don't care too much for procedures. I see them more like suggestions. Therefore I rely on my guts to bring her down. If you are interested in my approach hit me up with a PM. Might be helpful to see a completely different method. I tend to fly in the evening in Europe (CEST)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk
SacredRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
Yeti42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xthedarkknight99x View Post
Any mentors or people willing to plan a time to hangout with me and possibly tell me how I can fix what I am doing wrong?

So I'm having major issues getting the F14 on the ground properly.

This is something I want to do. The idea here is that I will be able land properly on land and then on the carrier.

I've watched so many videos good and bad and try to mimic in and I fail.

I've basically watched every video I could find on the pilot seat. I've practiced getting aoa while not landing.

I can get the aircraft on AOA while I am not trying to land but the minute I try for a case one. It goes to hell.
Things that get me. Getting on speed with the E bracket. I adjust the trim add and remove power but it never seems to want to come down. I'm always chasing it away.

fighting this effect causes me to gain altitude randomly or get what I know as the wobbles and fall out of the sky.

I generally fly everyday.. and while not focused on landing I like bringing her back. I've learned more about this aircraft than I ever did with the F18.

And I dont wanna give up.

I am super grateful for the help because I love this as much as everyone else and dont want to give up.
I have time in the evenings (CEST) if you want to drop by our server (v16sqn) Introduce yourself on Discord and we can take it from there. https://discord.gg/TwkZky9

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4
Yeti42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
draconus

Quote:
I've heard of using the AOA instead of the hud. Is there a reason why the hud would be different then the AoA indexer ?

DLC does get used and unfortunately that is when I fall out of the sky.

The other Issue I find is getting lined up with the run way. I've read that its a 45 to 60 degree bank. Is that right ? When doing a case one how far to the right of the run way or carrier should I be?
Always be on the safe side. Immerse yourself like your life depends on it. It's always better to bolter or even fly over the deck then to die in a crash. Do it again and again, until you're confident that it is safe to touchdown.

When you're too slow to the point of wing rock and buffeting - you missed the point where you were decelerating and are falling down because of the low throttle setting. Save yourself and use full AB throttle if needed. Remember to extend airbrake and turn on DLC again after. Better to break the pattern than die.

Be patient - better to do longer approaches first where you can set yourself sooner and better control what you have set. It takes time, probably have to do it multiple times until proper lineup and trap but you're trying to learn how to land safely - crashing will only teach you how to die. Never attempt nose down to save last seconds high approach.

For land - stay on the glideslope - keep the runway at 3 degrees below horizon. Steer to touchdown at the end of the runway then flare to lower the descent rate and hopefully you will TD where the skid marks are. If you're over 1/3 of the runway and still airborne - call missed approach and try again.

The 45-60 degrees bank is the initial break in left overhead pattern (Case I). The base turn is mild - about 20 degrees. You do it just after the port side aft ship in the group, about 1.2nm slant range from carrier.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
METEOP

Quote:
Do you have your speedbrake completely out?

Here is what I do :

A the break (I do it a t 2nm, 450kts)

- speedbrake out
- start your turn
- when you start to drop on the VVI, put your wingsweep to auto
- lift will pick up, use gear down to add some drag to stay on altitude

Slowly level your plane heading downwind on the inverse BRC

Noticed I haven't changed the throttle yet, pretty soon you will slow down and start going down. When this happens lower your flaps. Lowering your flaps will create some downward pitching momentum but you will stay on altitude.

Now, concentrate on getting on speed at the proper aoa. Pitch up to stay neutral on the VVI, trim, add power, trim. Keep at 600ft. DLC out.

When abeam the LSO station on the boat, start your turn around 20deg. depending if you are near or far the boat.

This is the tricky part, where you have to stay on speed while turning almost at full mill. Use the force... Don't look at your instruments so much at this point try to get the full 'picture'. Resist the temptation to do big power corrections. Wave off if you are not on parameters.

At about 3/4 turn, the ILS bars will appear. If you are on parameters the last part is easy. You have to reduce power when leveling because lift changes alot depending on bank angle. This takes practice to get right.

Good luck!

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by METEOP View Post
Noticed I haven't changed the throttle yet...
Yeah I noticed... don't you put the throttle to idle at the break?!