VR Test Discussion

RogueSqdn

The degree of CPU ‘boundness’ depends a lot on your graphic settings. I can very easily be GPU bound with high SS/PD/shadows settings

sure, you can force the GPU to be the bottleneck if you make it do crazy things.

but it’s always been that way, in almost every game.

when we say DCS is CPU bound in VR, we are assuming reasonable settings on reasonable hardware.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure, you can force the GPU to be the bottleneck if you make it do crazy things.

but it’s always been that way, in almost every game.

when we say DCS is CPU bound in VR, we are assuming reasonable settings on reasonable hardware.

In my opinion that makes no sense. So it's only CPU bound if you keep the settings at a lower level? Why would we spend £1200 on a GPU to lower the settings?

DCS is CPU or GPU bound for individual users depending on their preferences and the balance of their hardware.

No point in having a whole load of headroom in your expensive GPU just to make DCS show that your are CPU bound!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I am CPU bound. Even on the lowest settings possible, I cannot break 40ish FPS, with very low GPU usage. So I turned up GPU specific settings until I had GPU usage in the 90s and still around 40ish FPS, I stopped raising settings when FPS started to drop, indicating I was becoming GPU bound.

However, I’d really really like to hit 80FPS - but no settings will allow it. That’s CPU bound.

We will see in a couple weeks when I drop in a sweet Ryzen 3800X how much this changes!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I am CPU bound. Even on the lowest settings possible, I cannot break 40ish FPS, with very low GPU usage. So I turned up GPU specific settings until I had GPU usage in the 90s and still around 40ish FPS, I stopped raising settings when FPS started to drop, indicating I was becoming GPU bound.

However, I’d really really like to hit 80FPS - but no settings will allow it. That’s CPU bound.

We will see in a couple weeks when I drop in a sweet Ryzen 3800X how much this changes!

Yes, you are CPU bound because your CPU isn't as powerful as your GPU! It's all about balance and settings as I said before.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

DCS is CPU or GPU bound for individual users depending on their preferences and the balance of their hardware.

i get what you are saying, but don’t forget, you can take any CPU bound game and force it to be GPU bound with appropriate settings.

when users with 2080TI’s can’t maintain the 90fps the vr headsets are designed for, is the bottleneck CPU or GPU ?

i get what you are saying, but don’t forget, you can take any CPU bound game and force it to be GPU bound with appropriate settings.

when users with 2080TI’s can’t maintain the 90fps the vr headsets are designed for, is the bottleneck CPU or GPU ?

Depends on their settings!

I can make my 2080Ti system CPU or GPU bound, but I prefer eye candy, so I am GPU bound.

doing the test i was getting 70-90 fps with my rift cv1 at 1.5 pd, my index is getting me 45fps at 1.0 pd.

I wonder if there is an issue with this game in steam vr.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

Could just be differences in api efficiency too. I think you need more like 1.8-2.0PD in the rift to get same amount of pixels as the reverb at pd 1.0

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Depends on their settings!

I can make my 2080Ti system CPU or GPU bound, but I prefer eye candy, so I am GPU bound.

Depends on what you mean by eye candy. Anti-aliasing (PD, MSAA) doesn't seem to affect my CPU at all. Most of the other stuff affects both.

Keep meaning to check my CPU render time when I spawn in at a busy airfield, suspect I'm CPU limited at that time. But vast majority of the time I'm GPU limited. Typical GPU render times are pegged at 22 while the CPU is about 8ms or so.

So what would happen if I slapped a 2080ti in there with my 3.9ghz (burst) CPU?

I could try keeping the settings low and shoot for 90fps but I doubt I would hit that very often with my CPU, not on a busy map. I could dial in some more shadows and trees and stuff, but not much. Especially if I start messing with vis range I'm sure my CPU will be pegged in no time.

That said, I'm sure I could make any GPU gag with a high enough pixel count (physical or virtual) and enough MSAA.

I think it follows then, if you need to drive more pixels, or want more MSAA, upgrade your GPU. If you want the other kinds of eye candy, you should probably get your CPU, mobo and RAM sorted first. If you want to do both... hang on to your wallet, and good luck!

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

As SteamVR gets mentioned here. I don't know if I'm having an issue or not. Everytime I fire up DCS with the CV1 plugged, both the Rift Software and SteamVR pop up even though I set the latter not to start itself when a VR game is opened. Does that have any impact perhaps on performance, tracking quality etc? So how do I know which software is actually in use then?

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Depends on what you mean by eye candy. Anti-aliasing (PD, MSAA) doesn't seem to affect my CPU at all.

Exactly my point! GPU bound.

As SteamVR gets mentioned here. I don't know if I'm having an issue or not. Everytime I fire up DCS with the CV1 plugged, both the Rift Software and SteamVR pop up even though I set the latter not to start itself when a VR game is opened. Does that have any impact perhaps on performance, tracking quality etc? So how do I know which software is actually in use then?

are you using steam or non steam version of dcs?

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I could try keeping the settings low and shoot for 90fps but I doubt I would hit that very often with my CPU, not on a busy map

if you can’t hit the target frame rate, there is a bottleneck.

if your case, it sounds like it’s your CPU and adding a faster GPU won’t help.

Non, all native ED here. And Steam itself is off BTW.

I installed steam with a view to getting the Index . I noted that there are parts of steam that open with the start menu . I found them in the menu to the right of the tool bar . Removed steam from the start menu , and all is well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

What about the long waited improvements for VR?

I only use VR in flight simulators because after trying vr I can't go back to a monitor. Before buying new modules for DCS I would like to see the promised performance improvement but after many months we don't have them. I was hoping that before summer we could enjoy the vr improvements. What a pity!!!

Not another thread. smh

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Sometimes the changes are more significant than the changelog makes it look like. SysInfo has been overhauled, great!!!

Load times seem to be better, snappier in some parts, more responsive, and also it loads faster when reloading with the same data being in RAM.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Performance improvements may have been implemented. Many on the Forum have noticed increase in FPS including myself.

And many many more people haven't seen the improvements, including myself :music_whistling:

If you look at the test data thread its like a 80/20 split, and I'm being generous with the 20% seeing "some" improvement, not the 50% that was mentioned initially, I think only one or two folks saw that big of a jump.

But here's hoping that they figure it out.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

And many many more people haven't seen the improvements, including myself :music_whistling:

If you look at the test data thread its like a 80/20 split, and I'm being generous with the 20% seeing "some" improvement, not the 50% that was mentioned initially, I think only one or two folks saw that big of a jump.

I haven't seen any and I have a 2080ti. I am looking forward seeing any improvement. At the moment no 3,15, 25, 40 or 50% improvement.

• ED Team

Which is the reason for the thread, and to look into where the issues are.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Which is the reason for the thread, and to look into where the issues are.

I know... I also don't envy the poor guys that have to figure out why it works for some and not others. Thats a short end of the stick job. :)

I just wish I was in the magical 2%