MiG-23MLA external model WIP

OverStratos

• 2 weeks later...
2pnUW9J.jpg

nice, thats pretty much what the dude saw in the video posted above

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Looking good. Any word on which variant of the RWR we'll be getting first? If I remember correctly, it was stated that eventually we will get both SPO-10 and SPO-15 to choose from, along with dorsal-mounted IRCM launchers. Which specification of the MLA is this being modelled after (Soviet, WarPac or 3rd world export)?

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

From Discord: "So the plan is to have original Soviet VVS MiG-23MLAand if you like, you can mount the Iraqi modification in editor".

They didn't say whether those would be available at different times though.

Has any work been done on the flightmodel and systems or are you guys still "stuck" on modelling? Also, will ED be responsible for the R-23/24 missiles or are you guys gonna do it, given the data on its performance is pretty widely available?

A VVS MiG23ML of any version in DCS has been what I have been hoping for since the beginning. I hoped that this and the MiG25 are so iconic that they would be scripted by someone eventually as full modules. At the height of deployment for example there were around 1800 MiG23 in service and 300 MiG25, alongside hundreds of Su15 and a few dozen Tu128.

I have long been looking forward to any of these types becoming modules. All hail RAZBAM!

I'm excited to see how it flies. I've been impressed by some things I read about the phenomenal acceleration of the MiG23ML versions and already imagining how such a strength might be exploited as a true high Mach fighter in an environment where most fighters are really designed for the transonic envelope. Perhaps repeated disengagement/re-engagement could be a tactic which might work against some NATO fighters which might have better turn performance in a similar way to how the early P38 would combat the Zero in WW2. It will be interesting to see and no matter what I'm sure it will be my favourite module.

• 3 weeks later...
A VVS MiG23ML of any version in DCS has been what I have been hoping for since the beginning. I hoped that this and the MiG25 are so iconic that they would be scripted by someone eventually as full modules. At the height of deployment for example there were around 1800 MiG23 in service and 300 MiG25, alongside hundreds of Su15 and a few dozen Tu128.

I have long been looking forward to any of these types becoming modules. All hail RAZBAM!

I was just blown away when I found out that Razbam got the MiG-23 license from ED.

I don't wait to see MiG-25, as IMHO it is out of the scope in DCS scale. A long distance interceptor to be used against a strategical bombers (and their long range possible fighters) and long range - high altitude spy/recon aircrafts.

That is the same thing with the F-111, that so many is waiting (and ED said in recent interview that they don't do it, but some well known studio could do it).

The MiG-23 is my favorite aircraft (not all time, only more recently as I completely disliked the aircraft for very long time and hated its look and all, but opinions and taste changes... Now it is IMHO the most beautiful aircraft just slightly a head of the Su-24, Su-27 and AV-8B in my rankings) and one of the another major Soviet era aircraft I would love to see is the MiG-27 (I combine both as they are derivatives from the same project). And no, the MiG-23 attack version is not enough, it is the MiG-27 itself with special nose and all.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't the saw-tooth wing indicate a MiG-23 MLD? According to Wikipedia that wing was introduced with the MLD. This thread states that RAZBAM is creating the MLA though.

The big sawtooth was there since the Mig-23M. What was introduced in the MLD were small strakes near the intakes:

xdbUVUB.jpg

Notice how those are not present in RB's model

Great pics, Razbam! Could you please shed some light on what has changed since these pics were shown on your facebook fanpage on July 30th:

A lot of things have been changed since those last pictures. Many of the fuselage and wings profiles were not correct, as well as intakes border radius. Canopy placement, shape and size. Correction of the measures of many parts, etc...

Guess we'll see the Mig 23MLA on 2021 by the looks of it....seems like we won't be seeing much new module content in 2020.

RAZBAM already has so much on their hands as it is...hope they don't overtax themselves.

Better so, if they promised that 2020 gets three modules out of Early Access. They can't have time to develop other modules.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

A lot of things have been changed since those last pictures. Many of the fuselage and wings profiles were not correct, as well as intakes border radius. Canopy placement, shape and size. Correction of the measures of many parts, etc...

amazing, exactly what i have pointed out. one minor thing: from my observations the iron frame of the font canopy glass, close to the main canopy glass and it s iron frame does not exist from the pictures - or is it only a skin theme and the frame will "painted" on the glas??

The big sawtooth was there since the Mig-23M. What was introduced in the MLD were small strakes near the intakes:l

Exactly. The MLA carried the same Type 3 wing as the M and ML, with a single dog-tooth and leading-edge slats. The MLD had an additional notch on the wing glove (not the wing itself). This model of a Soviet MLD with the wings at full sweep (72 degrees) shows it well:

7.jpg

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Exactly. The MLA carried the same Type 3 wing as the M and ML, with a single dog-tooth and leading-edge slats. The MLD had an additional notch on the wing glove (not the wing itself). This model of a Soviet MLD with the wings at full sweep (72 degrees) shows it well:

7.jpg

And this is missing in the current model? Is there any explanation why?

Edit: Is the Armament we get in DCS for MiG23 known already? I heard it was Air superiority fighter in the first place, but had some nice additional wepons for ground attack.

Is there any information what kind of weapons we get?

All that Wikipedia confirmed for the MiG23MLA so far is:

4x Wympel R-23/R-24T (AA-7 „Apex“) - Mid Range - active infrared-guided missile (Fox 2 /3) (not enough details on that. My guess: The missile has its own active infrared seeker - in that case its a Fox 3.)

4x Wympel R-23R/R-24R (AA-7 „Apex“) - Mid Range - semi-active radar-guided missile (Fox 1)

additional options for Air-to-Air Combat: 4x R-3S, 4x R-3R and 2x2 R-60MK

4x R-73E (only on MiG-23MLD or MiG-23-98 upgrade / If we get this 'MiG-23-98' upgrade on a later date post MiG-23MLA release is up to RAZBAM)

Ait-to-Ground: 18x FAB100 (100kg freefall bomb), 6x FAB250 (250 freefall bomb), 6x FAB500 (500kg freefall bomb) and 1x TN-1000 (tactical freefall-Nuklearbomb)

MiG-23MLA

("Flogger-G") The later production variant of the "ML" was redesignated the "MLA". Externally, the "MLA" was identical to "ML". Internally, the 'MLA' had an improved radar with better ECM resistance, which made co-operative group search operations possible as the radars would now not jam each other. It also had a new ASP-17ML HUD/gunsight, and the capability to fire improved Vympel R-24R/T missiles. Between 1978 and 1982, around 1,100 "ML/MLA"s were built for both the Soviet Air Force and export customers. As with the MiG-23MF, there were two different MiG-23ML sub-variants for export: the first version was sold to Warsaw Pact countries and was very similar to Soviet aircraft. The second variant had downgraded radar and it was sold to Third World allies. -Wikipedia

Max takeoff weight: 17,800 kg (39,242 lb)

Fuel capacity: 4,260 l (1,130 US gal; 940 imp gal) internal with provision for up to 3x 800 l (210 US gal; 180 imp gal) drop-tanks

Powerplant: 1 × Khatchaturov R-35-300 afterburning turbojet, 83.6 kN (18,800 lbf) thrust with variable-geometry nozzles dry, 127.49 kN (28,660 lbf) with afterburner

According to the MiG-23ML manual, the MiG-23ML has a maximum sustained turn rate of 14.1 deg/sec and a maximum instantaneous turn rate of 16.7 deg/sec. The MiG-23ML accelerates from 600 km/h (373 mph) to 900 km/h (559 mph) in 12 seconds at the altitude of 1000 meters. The MiG-23 accelerates at the altitude of 1 km from 630 km/h (391 mph) to 1300 km/h (808 mph) in 30 seconds and at the altitude of 10–12 km will accelerate from Mach 1 to Mach 2 in 160 seconds. -Wikipedia

Some more stats:

Maximum speed: 2,499 km/h (1,553 mph, 1,349 kn) / M2.35 at altitude

1,350 km/h (840 mph; 730 kn) / M1.1 at sea level

Range: 1,900 km (1,200 mi, 1,000 nmi) clean

Combat range: 1,500 km (930 mi, 810 nmi) with standard armament, no drop-tanks

2,550 km (1,580 mi; 1,380 nmi) with standard armament and 3x 800 l (210 US gal; 180 imp gal) drop-tanks

Ferry range: 2,820 km (1,750 mi, 1,520 nmi) with 3x 800 l (210 US gal; 180 imp gal) drop-tanks

Service ceiling: 18,300 m (60,000 ft)

g limits: +8.5

Rate of climb: 230 m/s (45,000 ft/min) at sea level

Take-off distance: 500 m (1,600 ft)

Landing distance: 750 m (2,460 ft)

regards

Edited by MKev

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino

Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS

Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...

MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"

Because the Flogger Razbam is making is a slightly older variant which didn't feature the strakes. Again, the strakes are an MLD only feature, we're getting an MLA.

what do you mean with strakes?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino

Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS

Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...

MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"