Best budget joystick ?

Best budget joystick ?

I'm not talking about $500 HOTAS systems here, I'm asking for opinions on basic joysticks that don't cost all that much, yet are worth it.

- accuracy, how precise is it, compared to other budget sticks

- long lasting: does it wear out in a year? Do the pots or sensors wear out in one or two years, or will they last a decade?

Why am I asking this? Helicopters! Specifically, I'm trying to decide what stick to start with, to modify for helo use, that will offer high precision, and once I've done the mods, not break down on me a year or two later, that will last for a while.

For instance, in the past, I've heard that MS Sidewinder sticks (which may not all be equal) used some form of optical sensors for stick position, seemed to last forever, but I don't really know how their precision compares with today's products, as these were from the begining of the USB era, and then I'm not sure if there are issues with driver/software support, or if DCS will even recognise all of them.

On a different note, people have offered the notion that Logitec 3D Pro's are tough and last a long time of hard use, but some feel these aren't as accurate/precise as other sticks.

And the T-16000M, is considered to have very good accuracy, yet there's been quite a few that have failed after just a few years.

See, I almost thought of getting a Saitek AV8R stick, because it was cheap and looked like a nice grip... but then I saw bad review after bad review, followed by disatrous reviews and wow... not worth it to drive a mile to get one free!

And I'm sure there are other choices too. I don't need two hatswitches, don't need 200 switches. Simple way to remove the spring or eliminate a center detent is a bonus.

So, what would you guys suggest, for a precise stick that should last a long time, without spending massive bucks?

My favorite is the Thrustmaster t16000m it works very well. Most budget setups will have some disadvantages but you can just adapt. I fly the A-10C a lot and I find that it works great. The lack of hats on the stick is made up with the hats on the throttles. I also make up lack of buttons and hats with modifiers. I have only tried the 16000m. The Logitech stick just had so many negatives so I didnt get it. Boy would I love to have a Thrustmaster Warthog though. :pilotfly: :joystick:

Hope this helps. btw I have been using this HOTAS (along with rudder pedals) for almost 2 years and it is still working great. Before I got this HOTAS I used an Xbox Remote and I have been playing DCS since 2016 back when I used my potato laptop.

vkb, gunfighter/f14/kg12, depends of your favorites planes. Definitively a great one

I don't think those qualify as "budget joysticks" :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Up to ~$60 is Thrustmaster T.16000M

Up to $100 is VKB Gladiator Mk.II - may find available in X-plane.org store.

Both use contacless sensor in main axes (X, Y), Gladiator use in twist rudder too.

The other low cost options use pontentiometer in this axes - that wear ou with use and cause spikes in axis response; and should be avoided, e.g. Logitech 3D PRO, Thrustmaster HOTAS X and some generic brands.

For your main use - helicopter flight, VKB Gladiator is more indicated, since their center springs is light and gimbal has damper grease, smoothing cross center transition.

I do have a HOTAS for the fast movers, CH Fighter, with a TM throttle, and a couple of choices for pedals.

just looking for a stick to turn into helo controls, by ripping apart, adding a stick extension, and turning a tiny "throttle" lever into a something resembling a collective.

Is anyone using an MS Sidewinder?

I'm thinking along the lines of what Fragbum has done with his stick in this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185036

Edited by Rick50

Just bought a MS SW FFB2, will probably get it over the weekend, will report then. Got it solely for helicopters. Will probably mod it.

Have been using a TM T16.000M, full set. Swapping out for a Warthog first, not enough hats for modern jets. Will also get that cool collective. Pedals are totally okay. Very easy to take out/install the spring. Somebody on the forum has a 3D predict setup to make them wider. But I might fix my old TM Elite pedals.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

if you're willing to mod, CH Fighterstick -> replace pentameters with the Hall sensors available in the CH Mods thread.

Then you'll have super high resolution, great movement, and all the hats you'll need!

One more vote for CH Products. For 150 bucks you can buy a used set (Stick, Throttle, Pedals), but it would last for many years.

mighty pilot, so it seems

· Intel i7 8700K 3.7GHz · Asus 1080 Ti · HP Reverb · Virpil T-50CM2 base + stick · Virpil MT-50 Throttle · TM TPR Pedals

Up to ~$60 is Thrustmaster T.16000M

Up to $100 is VKB Gladiator Mk.II - may find available in X-plane.org store.

Both use contacless sensor in main axes (X, Y), Gladiator use in twist rudder too.

The other low cost options use pontentiometer in this axes - that wear ou with use and cause spikes in axis response; and should be avoided, e.g. Logitech 3D PRO, Thrustmaster HOTAS X and some generic brands.

For your main use - helicopter flight, VKB Gladiator is more indicated, since their center springs is light and gimbal has damper grease, smoothing cross center transition.

Already happening to my Thrustmaster T.16000M :( so thats a real thing. Thanks for bringing that up now I know why that happens :)

I have been using CH products fighterstick, pro throttle, and rudder pedals for many years and have had no issues at all. The thumbstick on the throttle could be a little better but overall my hotas is still rock solid since day 1. All of the buttons and hat switches still perform like new.

I had an X52 Pro, I know its been superseded now but I thought it was a great entry level HOTAS with enough buttons to get into the Sim with.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Gladiator and Ch Products have a really good reputation for being built to last. But sometimes hard to get a grab on those at least in my country.

I started with a saitek cyborg 30€ stick, 2 buttons just broke in the first 8 months but i was already addicted and throw my money at a x52, lasted a couple of years but the spiking pot problem was there after like 4 months on 3 axis on the throttle. After i broke something inside the throttle unit i was completely pissed with saitek and went for a thrustmaste 16000 set. I also have a spike problem with the rocker on the throttle after like 1,5-2 years of daily use, but from a quality view, the t-16000 is the best cheap stick you can get. If you are going to mod it anyway look out for a used one they should be around 20-30€ and it doesn't matter if you get the old one or the newer one(orange color) since its the same inside. The precision is on par with the warthog stick since both use the same sensors but other gimbals. I did a little mod on my stick for helicopter flying where i just used 2 zipties to compress thee spring inside and it worked quite well to minimize the recenter spring force. The only issue i had the first time was that you need really small zipties else it could be that the bigger latches could get in the way and hinder your movement.

Here are 2 vids of the mod. First one is original stick on the left and modded stick on the right. Second vid is how you do the mod with installation guide and you can get a look inside the joystick if you are curious about modding it.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

Got my MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2 a couple of days ago.

Initial impression. Disappointed. After some Googling, and adjusting to DCS, I can clearly see why this one is very popular in the heli crowd, and this will be my main helicopter stick.

What I did with it. Taped over the IR (?) hand sensor, to make it always on in game. Had to reverse the force feedback on DCS. Don't know if this is for helis only.

It's very different from normal centering sticks, but after a few hours on getting the hang of it, flying and hovering is breeze. Trimming feels good, but one has to be a little precise, I guess I was used to throw the stick a little more around before.

I will do the "power mod", which doubles the FFB. And hopefully mate it with another stick to change the grip to a "real" one, to have more buttons etc.

The only thing now, is that it's a little "limp" at the centre, and after trimming. Don't know how a real helicopter is.

I opted to get it before a Warthog set, and I'm glad I did. Next purchase will be a collective, and probably a Warthog set after that, as I won't use it for most of the jets. I've yet to try it for WWII.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

The VKB Gladiator K :

This would be my pick, if I have to choose one.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/