[NO BUG] Hornets engine problems.

Wood

Has anyone else seen this and confirm. With the last update 2.5.6. The hornets engines are giving a lot of issues.

First issue is a constant warning on the engines when in burner. No indication on a problem just continuous warnings.

Second issue. Flying the hornet now looks like your flying the mig 29 as the engines throw black smoke. So much that you are easy to make out and easily targeted. With engines shutdown you can see black smoke continuing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The engine smokiness level is set at 0.05 in the FA-18C.lua and I don't think it was different before. It's the same as the F-16 and F-14, for example. I haven't noticed increased smoke emissions myself, so it may be a visual result of the new lighting system in 2.5.6.

As for the warnings, if it comes when you increase throttle, it might be related to the Home Fuel advisory. I haven't noticed anything unusual with the Hornet's engines myself and I flew it a few hours since 2.5.6 came out. Can you post a track or video with the issue, if it persists?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

To get rid of that black smoke you need to adjust the throttle either above or below the mil power. It occurs at mil power.

Different finding yesterday on a PG server: it is present during taxi, T/o, normal cruise (mil) and even after complete engine shutdown on the carrier (not as dense as during taxi or flight but still present). Density of black smoke differs according to power setting but over all present.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

After going through other sub-forums, it seems that a lot of aircraft have this black smoke since 2.5.6. I don't think anything changed in terms of the parameter itself though, I still think it's related to to general 2.5.6 changes.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

To get rid of that black smoke you need to adjust the throttle either above or below the mil power. It occurs at mil power.

That’s defiantly not the problem.

Different finding yesterday on a PG server: it is present during taxi, T/o, normal cruise (mil) and even after complete engine shutdown on the carrier (not as dense as during taxi or flight but still present). Density of black smoke differs according to power setting but over all present.
Exactly this what is been seen. Thanks guys for confirming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The engine smokiness level is set at 0.05 in the FA-18C.lua and I don't think it was different before. It's the same as the F-16 and F-14, for example. I haven't noticed increased smoke emissions myself, so it may be a visual result of the new lighting system in 2.5.6.

Haven't thought about that but makes sense.

Harker;As for the warnings, if it comes when you increase throttle, it might be related to the Home Fuel advisory. I haven't noticed anything unusual with the Hornet's engines myself and I flew it a few hours since 2.5.6 came out. Can you post a track or video with the issue, if it persists?

This can't be I'm only less then 30nm away from home plate with more then 6000 lbs of fuel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This can't be I'm only less then 30nm away from home plate with more then 6000 lbs of fuel.

What warning are you getting? Anything on the Advisories line?

-

What warning are you getting? Assuming you are getting a master caution light? Anything displayed on the left DDI? Home fuel, engine overspeed, inlet icing?

I am not experiencing any "constant engine warning" after 2.5.6 and the aircraft seems to be performing as expected.

PS:

I have of course noticed the "dirty" exhaust from the Hornet, as others have stated as well - also noticed it on the A10C (although it seems to only be noticed from the port/left engine on the 10C).

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I also see such smoke, but it is not always from and I do not know what it depends on. Appears and disappears irregularly. They see him sometimes both at low speed and on afterburners. There was no such thing before, I was very surprised to see him, I thought I was shot by someone.

Let me put it this way... If i saw my f-18 billowing as much smoke as this Hornet does in DCS, I would be pulling the silly handle cause it's on fire. Let hope the NEXT update fixes it, Or maybe it's like that so the russkies will have a better chance in a furball against us :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC]vMa1Dvw.jpg[/url][/sIG][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

Let me put it this way... If i saw my f-18 billowing as much smoke as this Hornet does in DCS, I would be pulling the silly handle cause it's on fire. Let hope the NEXT update fixes it, Or maybe it's like that so the russkies will have a better chance in a furball against us :pilotfly:

Lol. Well said

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had an Air Force clerk comment on the "exotic" Corps base names once after noting i was assigned at Twentynine Palms . I had a good time there , but exotic ? Not !

So we're taking a performance hit for an inaccurate representation of the Hornet ? Nice ! (also not)

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Let me take a screen shot when I see it again.

Any update on the warning you were seeing, or are you good to go?

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Any update on the warning you were seeing, or are you good to go?

Cheers,

Don

I’ve had Bitchin Betty start squawking about left engine left engine when in burner but no fault indication popping up what so ever. So no screen shot.

Still watching for any fault notification.

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’ve had Bitchin Betty start squawking about left engine left engine when in burner but no fault indication popping up what so ever. So no screen shot.

Still watching for any fault notification.

Cheers

On the IFEI, are the engines in sync?

Cheers,

Don

On the IFEI, are the engines in sync?

Cheers,

Don

I'll take a look at that for sure the next time it comes up.

On another note regarding the smokey engines. Are people seeing this? As well is it just in VR or monitor operations as well.

The reason why I ask is that I strictly fly in VR and as a result of only having a Nividia 1050 card. I was running VR is a lower resolution then normal (1680 X 1050). After increasing my resolution much higher like 4680 X 1080.

So not sure what has changed and could it be a result from having lower resolution settings.. :huh::huh::huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yesterday, on the Caucasus map in the latest 2.5.6 open beta, my hornet was smoking black like a chimney idling on the runway before takeoff AND at 16,000 feet in full after burner. This is not correct, I'm pretty sure.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Yesterday, on the Caucasus map in the latest 2.5.6 open beta, my hornet was smoking black like a chimney idling on the runway before takeoff AND at 16,000 feet in full after burner. This is not correct, I'm pretty sure.

2.5.6 has introduced this on aircraft. It even happens on the A10C, and only on the left engine. Probably just a "kink" with the new coding. I also hope that they will sort this out.

Cheers,

Don

Purchased from the army for $1 as it was unfit for human habitation. The Corps overpaid.

How about a leisurely jog around Lake Bandini?

Or how bout 1st Tanks to the EAF?

Had its downsides for sure , but i liked it better tham MCRD , Pendleton , or New River .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 3 weeks later...

+1 Also seeing thick black engine exhaust with the F-18 on the latest open beta patch. Exhaust continues to be visible even after completely shutting down the engines on the carrier/ground. Happens in all missions.

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims