Autopilot Bug?

Bunny Clark

A few times while flying I've found that enabling altitude hold has locked me out of all pitch and roll control. Most of the time I can roll the plane to make small course adjustments with autopilot enabled. Sometimes no matter how much I move the stick, the plane does not respond at all. Switching autopilot off and back on again seems to fix it.

Is this a bug? Is there some arcane working of the autopilot system I'm not understanding? Both seem about equally possible at this point ...

I'm not having that problem, but I am having a problem of once I deactivate autopilot it never re-engages in any capacity.

Are you deactivating with the disconnect paddle on the stick? That paddle does more than switch off autopilot, it also disables roll and pitch SAS which will need to be switched back on for autopilot to work again.

If you simply want to turn off autopilot, it's best to flip the switch in the cockpit.

Are you deactivating with the disconnect paddle on the stick? That paddle does more than switch off autopilot, it also disables roll and pitch SAS which will need to be switched back on for autopilot to work again.

If you simply want to turn off autopilot, it's best to flip the switch in the cockpit.

I think this is it. Now that I think about it I used to never use the paddle but lately I was. Thanks for the tip!

The main use of the paddle is to disable roll & pitch SAS before a combat.

The main reason for using the paddle is if the AP/SAS starts doing strange things like this

For combat (or anytime you anticipate high AoA situations), you only deactivate roll SAS.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

what paddle?