Simulator vs real life

Sharkku

I think in real life, it is much more stable than sim. Look at the video; Extremely stable with two finger control and no struggle. In the sim, heli acts like a stallion during take off and landing.

Edited by ebabil
  • Like 4

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I'm happy for the OPS story and am happy he got to have a great time flying a real helicopter. I would caution people about thinking the sim could translate to a real life ability though. I fly helicopters for a living and occasionally I fly a Huey. The Huey flight model is OK but not what I would call realistic. The real helicopter has more tailrotor authority and is a bit more responsive although as far as helicopters go hueys are fairly sluggish. The MI-8 has the most real feeling flight model in my humble opinion. I think the KA-50 is probably pretty good but I've never flown a coaxial helicopter I have a tandem though for whatever that is worth.

To Ebabil though, with respect the stallion action of the helicopter is probably due to pilot induced osculations on your part and the lack of being able to feel the beginning of an oscillation in the seat of your pants. When I was a flight instructor we called teaching people to hover breaking a horse so your description of a stallion is both amusing and accurate :)

• Like 1

I think in real life, it is much more stable than sim. Look at the video; Extremely stable with two finger control and no struggle. In the sim, heli acts like a stallion during take off and landing.

Having extension on stick and wide axis it makes it such behavior that you can just fly it with two fingers without any problems in stability. It really does work like "just think and don't do it, and it does it".

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Nice story, thanks for sharing!

And yes, I love my PFT Puma as well! :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Indeed, the OP is a cool story, as is the one about the pro-level simulator. I probably will never get a RL helicopter experience, but maybe a pro-level simulator... in which case it would be cool if the modicum of realism afforded by DCS helps get a bit more out of the experience.

Incidentally, after a lot of agonising, research, and saving(!), I also got a PFT-Puma. I cannot describe how much of a game changer this was. Curiously, I find flying a fixed-wing with the PFT-Puma rather tricky. Which doubles the realisation of how hard it is to learn a helicopter on a regular joystick-and-rudder-pedals... no matter how good they are. :joystick:

Like any DCS module, it will never be "perfect" (whatever that means). But the fact it is starting to resemble reality is such a big step and I find it quite inspiring.

Having extension on stick and wide axis it makes it such behavior that you can just fly it with two fingers without any problems in stability. It really does work like "just think and don't do it, and it does it".

I don't have too much problem with the Huey on takeoff / hover, but mine does seem to dutch roll continuously in flight ( you can visibly see the nose drawing circles ) which is conspicuously missing from that cockpit vid - so I think I do agree there's some sort of stability issue.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that a lot of this is not necessarily about the exact flight model or control setup, but rather about the hand-eye coordination and muscle memory. When you think about it, if you are a regular person who either never used a stick and throttle to control even a video game, then the way an aircraft is controlled is not exactly natural. It has to be learned, and until that "clicks", you will have a rough ride, just like when first learning to ride a bike or drive a manual. A simulator, or even a game that replicates this control scheme, lets you skip that part. Even if the FM isn't perfect, it's just a matter of adjusting to a specific control setup.

Still, it's an awesome achievement that we, through VR especially, can actually train those reactions. For a long time, nothing like that existed, and the only way to train a pilot was to put him in an airplane (or a helo, but helo pilots of the time usually started on fixed wing, at least in my country). Even the earliest camera and diorama flight sims were a major advancement.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's also about the setup a bit too, having an extension or a long throw base like the Rhino helps a lot. In opposition to what @ebabil said, uh... many years ago, you can take off smoothly and without the helicopter acting like a "stallion". No matter the setup though, it takes practice.

I'd guess ebabil is flying it a lot smoother nowadays than when he started too. 🙂

• Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

• 1 month later...

Curves (not too much!) can help greatly here.

In the case of the Mi-8, I find curves to be a problem. In the Huey, it's too sensitive for a normal stick so I add about 20 curve just to reduce the sensitivity around center but keep it as close to linear as possible.

• Like 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."