Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground

Just got done dropping 32 gbu-12’s and 22 jdams (all on target) along with 4 air to air splashed. I also thank you for your work Surrexen :thumbup:

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Very good. Thanks for taking it into consideration. :) "Annoying" when I've spent an hour or so taking out several SAM sites, and then I have to go AFK...starting over again. (not a problem related to your mission - offcourse.)

Ok so here is the deal. Persistence is very possible, but it would require people to de-sanitize 'lfs' and 'io' which is part of MissionScripting.lua in their installations. This allows for the exporting of data from the mission into a file that can then be loaded at mission start. I imagine some people may already do this to get things like TacView to load? Anyway ... it is very possible to add it in. I figure if people are comfortable with this then I can implement it for a future version.

The downside to this is that if you want to start the mission again 'from scratch' you would need to delete the exported data before starting up the mission.

How do people feel about this? Feedback is definitely required for this one.

Ok so here is the deal. Persistence is very possible, but it would require people to de-sanitize 'lfs' and 'io' which is part of MissionScripting.lua in their installations. This allows for the exporting of data from the mission into a file that can then be loaded at mission start. I imagine some people may already do this to get things like TacView to load? Anyway ... it is very possible to add it in. I figure if people are comfortable with this then I can implement it for a future version.

The downside to this is that if you want to start the mission again 'from scratch' you would need to delete the exported data before starting up the mission.

Hey Surrexen,

I think this would be a great addition, and most people would be happy to edit the MissionScripting.lua, as anyone who has played the DCE campaigns knows how to do this regularly. This file will have to be edited each time after an update/repair, and is quite easy to do with notepad++. You would probably need to spell out how to delete exported mission data, unless you can provide a "batch file" to automatically do this upon command from the user. Again, the DCE campaigns use this method to skip missions and/or restart campaigns.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Hey Surrexen,

I think this would be a great addition, and most people would be happy to edit the MissionScripting.lua, as anyone who has played the DCE campaigns knows how to do this regularly. This file will have to be edited each time after an update/repair, and is quite easy to do with notepad++. You would probably need to spell out how to delete exported mission data, unless you can provide a "batch file" to automatically do this upon command from the user. Again, the DCE campaigns use this method to skip missions and/or restart campaigns.

Cheers!

I've never done any of that, but if there are clear instructions on how to do that - or a short YouTube video out there on how to do it that is accurate, I'd be happy to learn and progress thru a dynamic campaign. That would be a first, aside from the ones that are in MP servers (DDCS). Just would need to make sure that the instructions are accurate and clear, for non computer "wiz's" like myself and hopefully many others. I'm probably a minority on this one.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

So ... after smooshing my head over the keyboard all day messing with this persistent units thing and nearly going postal at my cat because of it, I've come up with a heavily heavily modified version of Pikey's simple group saving mechanism.

Pikey's code removes all units from the map and spawns replacements based on a list of what was still alive in the saved file. Problem with that was it was not putting the replacement units in with the correct headings/orientation so things looked not how I wanted them. I spent a lot of time facing things to the exact degrees so you know ...

My version does nearly the opposite, it pulls a list of all the mission specific units then matches that against the list of saved units. If it finds a match, then the unit still existed and nothing is done. Otherwise if a match is not found it removes the unit from the map.

Anyway, it's working for ground units at this stage. Pikey had run into issues with his code and ships. I too am having issues with ships. I had issues with ships before when writing other functions. I will see if I can work that out next, but perhaps the persistence will end up being ground units only, no ships and perhaps no static objects.

Edit: Oh yeah, thanks Pikey wherever you are. If it wasn't for the SGS script you gave us I wouldn't have had a clue where to start on this.

Edited by Surrexen

Surrexen; Would it at all be possible to make a "saved game" file at the end of a mission?

I'm spending a lot of time taking out SAMs at the start of the mission, and not really being able to participate in for instance CAS missions because the regular SEAD spawn aircraft take to long to take out the SAMsites, so I have to help out every time.

A "saved game" file would really help with being able to use different assets available. :)

Again, I really love your work! Two excellent missions

I have no idea how to do that yet haha. I know in theory it can be done though. Currently I'm finalising plans on paper for Syria ... for whenever the map comes out! It's a good question though because I think that would be very useful.

Today I actually flew a CAS mission on Snowfox to learn the A-10C (I don't normally fly CAS). I took out the SA-15 at Tunb Island on route to Bandar Lengeh and had SEAD support take care of the SA-11, whilst a fighter screen kept me in the clear. Managed to wipe out the targets and complete a mission. Didn't think I had it in me!

Anyway I will add the request to the list for later and will investigate. Can't promise anything at this stage.

Very good. Thanks for taking it into consideration. :) "Annoying" when I've spent an hour or so taking out several SAM sites, and then I have to go AFK...starting over again. (not a problem related to your mission - offcourse.)

Surrexen I've got a finished framework for saving that you could implement. It's very simple and it will work as long as this mission is not dynamically spawning the red ground groups, but a complete mission with all red ground units in from the start... I've not looked at this mission that detailed yet so I don't know.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I love the idea. As long as it's with some sort of clear instructions I think it will be excellent :)

Yes. I will require de-sanitize the lfs and io. Everyone who has used any of the Dynamic Campaign Engine campaigns (MBot and succeeding mods by users) has had to do this.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Small progress update here, I've written a totally different method for unit persistence which works for both ground units and ships. Hooray! It is much more efficient. I will tomorrow see if I can adapt it for static objects.

The other neat thing now is that if you get to the 'end', it will automatically scrub the progress so nobody will need to manually remove anything, just relaunch and it will start over completely from scratch.

I shortly started a mission with A10C and F18 but I didn't get any waypoints. Do have to add them in the mission editor or in flight (the latter would be a bit too much for me ;-)) or is it a bug?

Didn't get any flight plan waypoints? Or didn't get any target information coordinates?

Waypoints you need to plan yourself. But target coordinates should be available to make it easy to punch a waypoint in.

There are some really massive changes coming to this mission very shortly.

Great mission anyway. Do these changes generate target waypoints too ?

Because I fly in VR it is not so easy to write down and enter waypoints. Can I do it in the mission editor before starting the mission in 3D somehow, for the client I want to fly or are the coordinates generated while I'm in the cockpit on the runway?

Didn't get any flight plan waypoints? Or didn't get any target information coordinates?

Waypoints you need to plan yourself. But target coordinates should be available to make it easy to punch a waypoint in.

There are some really massive changes coming to this mission very shortly.

Awesome! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Don

Ok so I'm still just testing this out but the update should go out soon. Here are some of the things that have been done:

- Persistent world for ground units, ships and static objects, this will require de-sanitization of 'lfs' and 'io' in MissionScripting.lua. On servers please ensure that the simulation is being run with sufficient privileges to write to the DCS World installation folder.

- Oil Platform's near Sirri Island have been removed as missions as they were breaking the mission scripting. Since there were 3 platforms, 3 substitute missions related to oil related things have been introduced.

- Train at Havadarya has also been substituted with some AAA for the same reason as above

- Recovery tanker for carrier group has been introduced, and rescue helo because why not. Big thanks to FunkyFranky for the script and the guys at =JAGTF= for pointing me at it! The recovery tanker frequencies and tacan have been added into the mission briefing

- F/A-18's and F-14B's on the Stennis no longer have a pair that start with air to ground load-outs. The CAP groups for each have been increased to a group of 4. This is part of a re-organisation of tail numbers and callsign adjustments which I will explain in more detail when it is finalised.

- A-10C group increased to 4 planes

- AV/8B group increased to 4 planes

- Lavan Island HAWK system has been re-introduced to the map, along with it's supplying trucks. No missions specifically to Lavan Island (yet).

- A bug with the target report on server environments where the report would spit out twice for each player under certain conditions has been fixed

I have also had several requests to expand this a little, and from I've seen on servers there is a bit of room to add some more missions in so I'll see what I can come up with.

Edited by Surrexen

Ok here we go lads, over the top!

Changelog v112

- Persistent world for ground units, ships and static objects, this will require de-sanitization of 'lfs' and 'io' in MissionScripting.lua. On servers please ensure that the simulation is being run with sufficient privileges to write to the DCS World installation folder.

- Oil Platform's near Sirri Island have been removed as missions as they were breaking the mission scripting. Since there were 3 platforms, 3 substitute missions related to oil related things have been introduced.

- Train at Havadarya has also been substituted with some AAA for the same reason as above

- Recovery tanker for carrier group has been introduced, and rescue helo because why not. Big thanks to FunkyFranky for the script and the guys at =JAGTF= for pointing me at it! The recovery tanker frequencies and tacan have been added into the mission briefing

- F/A-18's and F-14B's on the Stennis no longer have a pair that start with air to ground load-outs. The CAP groups for each have been increased to a group of 4. This is part of a re-organisation of tail numbers and callsign adjustments which I will explain in more detail when it is finalised.

- A-10C group increased to 4 planes

- AV/8B group increased to 4 planes

- Lavan Island HAWK system has been re-introduced to the map, along with it's supplying trucks. No missions specifically to Lavan Island (yet).

- A bug with the target report on server environments where the report would spit out twice for each player under certain conditions has been fixed

- Some units minor adjustments to placings, nothing major

- Mission start time is now 14:30 instead of 17:00 for those afraid of the dark

- Radio channel adjustments for some planes

Note: if you do not de-sanitize 'lfs' and 'io', then the script for persistent world will halt, but the rest of the scripts will run without it so if you don't want to enable this feature then you can still enjoy without it

Hey Surrexen, brilliant mission mate. Tested it out last night. The recovery tanker worked well, it was the first launched, stayed up for about an hour or so - I was able to take a sip from it - then it when off station to land on the carrier, then got replaced by another. The fleet defence aircraft constantly rotated on and off the carrier. So for that last bit of immersion, have you considered incorporating the latest Airboss? It would be great getting stacked up in Marshal with the recovering fleet CAP and tankers. Well done mate.

Cheers!

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Hello Surrexen. I am not familiar with "de-sanitization". Can you give a short explanation in the content description what this means, and how to do it?

Absolutely, I was meaning to post instructions for this.

Inside your DCS installation there is a folder called Scripts. Inside that there is a file called MissionScripting.lua, if you want persistency to work, edit this file (make a backup first if you like) and make the bit that looks like this:

do

sanitizeModule('os')

sanitizeModule('io')

sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

Look like this instead:

do

sanitizeModule('os')

--sanitizeModule('io')

--sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

Once you have done that, start DCS and launch the mission. The mission will then write out a list of dead units and statics to a pair of lua files inside the DCS root folder (it will update this list periodically, every 2.5 minutes at the moment). Once these files exist, the mission will load those files when it starts up and remove the units and statics that were previously destroyed so you can pick up where you left off :thumbup:

Note: MissionScripting.lua will need to be changed any time an update or repair is run.

Edited by Surrexen

Inside your DCS installation there is a folder called Scripts. Inside that there is a file called MissionScripting.lua, if you want persistency to work, edit this file (make a backup first if you like) and make the bit that looks like this:

do

sanitizeModule('os')

sanitizeModule('io')

sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

Look like this instead:

do

sanitizeModule('os')

--sanitizeModule('io')

--sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

Once you have done that, start DCS and launch the mission. The mission will then write out a list of dead units and statics to a pair of lua files inside the DCS root folder (it will update this list periodically, every 2.5 minutes at the moment). Once these files exist, the mission will load those files when it starts up and remove the units and statics that were previously destroyed so you can pick up where you left off :thumbup:

Note: MissionScripting.lua will need to be changed any time an update or repair is run.

Is this for continuing the mission after exiting and reloading it? Like if we take out X amount of ground targets and complete 2 objectives - the next time the mission is reloaded it will pick up where we left off? Please say yes, and not just because I asked - because it's true......

Cheers,

Don

Is this for continuing the mission after exiting and reloading it? Like if we take out X amount of ground targets and complete 2 objectives - the next time the mission is reloaded it will pick up where we left off? Please say yes, and not just because I asked - because it's true......

Cheers,

Don

Yes. Whatever ground units/ships/static targets you destroy gets saved to file, and that file is loaded at mission start and whatever is in the list is removed. The actual mission objective might be different though. The mission selection part will figure out if one of the target groups is already dead etc and will select a different mission if need be.

Edited by Surrexen

Yes. Whatever ground units/ships/static targets you destroy gets saved to file, and that file is loaded at mission start and whatever is in the list is removed. The actual mission objective might be different though. The mission selection part will figure out if one of the target groups is already dead etc and will select a different mission if need be.

:book: :thumbup: :pilotfly:

Cheers,

Don

Another update is coming shortly (probably tomorrow or the next day) that will increase the amount of available missions to 120 (20% more Snowfox). New targets are mostly things like power plants, missile bunkers, warehouses and military base buildings. Also some other changes due to the result of recent testing in multiplayer which will be detailed when the update is ready.

Unfortunately the target report still occasionally will spit out the information twice to the player in multiplayer mode. Seems to happen sometimes after changing planes, and will usually sort itself out if you change planes again.

do

sanitizeModule('os')

sanitizeModule('io')

sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

Look like this instead:

do

sanitizeModule('os')

--sanitizeModule('io')

--sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

Just to see if I understood this:

You start the same mission file everytime? It will not create a new mission file based on the progress?

And to start up the default mission all I have to do is revert the script values to default?

Just to see if I understood this:

You start the same mission file everytime? It will not create a new mission file based on the progress?

And to start up the default mission all I have to do is revert the script values to default?

Yep just load the Snowfox mission and the scripts will do the rest. If you play through the entire list of missions, when you reach "Operation Snowfox Is Complete" it will write back the progress to 0 for you. Or you can just remove the created files whenever you like to start over.

It does not create different .miz mission files. It only creates a pair of .lua files that contain the names of the units etc that have been killed.

Edited by Surrexen