about charging the mk108

twistking

Hey,

could someone explain the real life operation of the mk108 especially why and when it got charged by the pilot.

The button to charge the gun is on the flight stick, so it was deemed important to be in reach at all time.

Would the pilot recharge the gun after not firing for a while?

Could he clear a jammed gun with manually (re)charging it?

Was it important to only charge the gun before firing it?

Where did the air pressure come from?

Also, is there anything modeled in DCS that would prevent you from just charging the gun right after take-off and have it sit idle for a prolonged time?

thanks!

Hey,

could someone explain the real life operation of the mk108 especially why and when it got charged by the pilot.

The button to charge the gun is on the flight stick, so it was deemed important to be in reach at all time.

Would the pilot recharge the gun after not firing for a while?

Could he clear a jammed gun with manually (re)charging it?

Was it important to only charge the gun before firing it?

Where did the air pressure come from?

Also, is there anything modeled in DCS that would prevent you from just charging the gun right after take-off and have it sit idle for a prolonged time?

thanks!

I can answer to this question "why/when charge cannon"

Why. Pilot wanted to shoot something

When. Just before pilot shoot something

Compressed air come most likely form dedicated air tank.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Can't really answer your questions but while looking around I found some interesting pictures of the ammo and its effects so I'll just leave them here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HkGqW

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/weapons15.htm

Edit:

From here: http://www.bredow-web.de/Luftwaffenmuseum/Historisch/Bf_109_G-2/Rheinmetall-Borsig_MK_108/rheinmetall-borsig_mk_108.html

Beschreibung aus dem Original-Handbuch der Messerschmitt Bf 109:

Eine MK 108-Motorwaffe mit 65 Schuß ist mit Lafette im Motor gelagert und ragt in den Führerraum hinein.

Sämtliche Waffen werden über den Knüppelgriff KG 13 A bedient. Durchladung und Abfeuerung der MG 131 elektrisch:

Schußzählung und Durchladekontrolle für MG 131 am SZKK 3 (über Führergerätebrett).

Durchladung der MK 108 elektrisch-pneumatisch handbetätigt, Druckknöpfe am KG 13 A, Abfeuerung elektrisch.

Anordnung der Preßluftflaschen sowie des zugehörigen Auffüllanschlusses für die MK 108 in linker Tragfläche.

Schußzählung und Durchladekontrolle für MK 108 nicht vorhanden. Abschwenkbares Reflexvisier 16 B eingebaut.

Description from the original manual of the Messerschmitt Bf 109:

A MK 108 motor gun with 65 rounds is mounted in the engine with a carriage and protrudes into the cockpit.

All weapons are operated via the Knüppelgriff KG 13 A. Charging and firing of the MG 131 electric:

Ammo counter and charging control for MG 131 at the SZKK 3 (on instrument panel).

Charging of the MK 108 electrically-pneumatically manually operated, push buttons on KG 13 A, electric firing.

Assembly of the compressed air cylinders and the associated filling connection for the MK 108 in the left wing.

Ammo counter and charging control for MK 108 not available. Swing-away reflex sight 16 B installed.

Edited by ams999

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

Can't really answer your questions but while looking around I found some interesting pictures of the ammo and its effects so I'll just leave them here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HkGqW

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/weapons15.htm

Edit:

From here: http://www.bredow-web.de/Luftwaffenmuseum/Historisch/Bf_109_G-2/Rheinmetall-Borsig_MK_108/rheinmetall-borsig_mk_108.html

Beschreibung aus dem Original-Handbuch der Messerschmitt Bf 109:

Eine MK 108-Motorwaffe mit 65 Schuß ist mit Lafette im Motor gelagert und ragt in den Führerraum hinein.

Sämtliche Waffen werden über den Knüppelgriff KG 13 A bedient. Durchladung und Abfeuerung der MG 131 elektrisch:

Schußzählung und Durchladekontrolle für MG 131 am SZKK 3 (über Führergerätebrett).

Durchladung der MK 108 elektrisch-pneumatisch handbetätigt, Druckknöpfe am KG 13 A, Abfeuerung elektrisch.

Anordnung der Preßluftflaschen sowie des zugehörigen Auffüllanschlusses für die MK 108 in linker Tragfläche.

Schußzählung und Durchladekontrolle für MK 108 nicht vorhanden. Abschwenkbares Reflexvisier 16 B eingebaut.

Description from the original manual of the Messerschmitt Bf 109:

A MK 108 motor gun with 65 rounds is mounted in the engine with a carriage and protrudes into the cockpit.

All weapons are operated via the Knüppelgriff KG 13 A. Charging and firing of the MG 131 electric:

Ammo counter and charging control for MG 131 at the SZKK 3 (on instrument panel).

Charging of the MK 108 electrically-pneumatically manually operated, push buttons on KG 13 A, electric firing.

Assembly of the compressed air cylinders and the associated filling connection for the MK 108 in the left wing.

Ammo counter and charging control for MK 108 not available. Swing-away reflex sight 16 B installed.

I posed short clip from mk108 tests in DM topic, still ppl were saying that spitfire shoudl be fine after couple hits :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I posed short clip from mk108 tests in DM topic, still ppl were saying that spitfire shoudl be fine after couple hits :P

It's just a flesh wound...!

Edited by ams999

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022