Deadzone and curves recommendation for A-10C? - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
bbrz
Member
 
bbrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
The issue with curves is that although they damp out over sensitivity in small deflections, they exaggerate movement with larger deflections, and that doesn’t feel ‘real’ to me.
As long as you are using a 'standard' size joystick you have to make a compromise.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
imacken
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 1,365
Default

Maybe, but I'm quite happy with no curves at the moment on a 'standard' joystick.
__________________
Intel i7 8700 4.8GHz · EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · TM Pedals · Oculus Rift
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
defeatist99
Junior Member
 
defeatist99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 71
Default

15 curve for pitch and roll all planes and 10-20 curve for rudder depending on the plane.
defeatist99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #14
Scaley
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 60
Default

Personally no curve and smallest deadzone possible for your stick. There really is no point in having a bigger deadzone. As for curves it comes down to personal preference.
Scaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #15
Fred00
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 235
Default

For me it's really simple. Curves make the plane behave more realistically in the deflection ranges used maybe 98% of the time. No curves make the plane behave better in the ranges used the other 2% of the time. I would never sacrifice the 98% for the 2%, that makes no sense.


Furthermore, the added sensitivity at the extremes is really not a problem, since the deflections are often less precise than around the center anyway.



Curves also increase the general feel of weight in the aircraft, which is very nice. With no curves many modules feel almost like paperplanes in the way they react to stick input.
Fred00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #16
imacken
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 1,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred00 View Post
For me it's really simple. Curves make the plane behave more realistically in the deflection ranges used maybe 98% of the time. No curves make the plane behave better in the ranges used the other 2% of the time. I would never sacrifice the 98% for the 2%, that makes no sense.


Furthermore, the added sensitivity at the extremes is really not a problem, since the deflections are often less precise than around the center anyway.



Curves also increase the general feel of weight in the aircraft, which is very nice. With no curves many modules feel almost like paperplanes in the way they react to stick input.
No idea how you can justify saying curves make the plane more realistic. I mean you could say they give you a better feel personally, but more realistic? Not so sure.
The mods are developed with neutral curve, so why should we think we know better than the devs?
It is interesting that with no curves, the planes all react differently. One can only assume this is the way the handling was intended to be.
__________________
Intel i7 8700 4.8GHz · EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · TM Pedals · Oculus Rift
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #17
Fred00
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
No idea how you can justify saying curves make the plane more realistic. I mean you could say they give you a better feel personally, but more realistic? Not so sure.
The mods are developed with neutral curve, so why should we think we know better than the devs?
It is interesting that with no curves, the planes all react differently. One can only assume this is the way the handling was intended to be.
The problem is stick length. If I had an extension I would also fly with neutral curves. But since I have a standard Warthog curves are a good way of emulating the feel of a longer stick. The side effect of added sensitivity at the edges has never really been a problem (at least for me). Without curves applied the sensitive stick feel is present all the time unfortunately.
Fred00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #18
cichlidfan
Veteran
 
cichlidfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodbridge,VA,USA
Posts: 19,404
Default

This is why an extension is such a good investment.
__________________
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #19
Peaches
Junior Member
 
Peaches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
This is why an extension is such a good investment.
Cichlidfan, I am looking at getting one for my WH, which I have center mounted. Do you have a length recommendation?
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:05 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.