VR FPS (2.5.1.16543.355)

Flighter

I don't understand how you guys are getting such bad fps. I have an old i7 3770k, 16GM RAM, a 970 and run on a SSD. I get between 45-90 fps all the time. I barely ever see it drop under 45. I have most tings set to High. MSAA off and AF set to 2x. Pixel Density I change depending on what I am flying. If I had a newer i7 and better graphics card like most of you I would assume I would get much better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wooooow just bought an RX 580 8 GB, these are my results (caucasus)...

in singleplayer I only get 17-23 fps when I start "M2000 missile combat", in multiplayer 14-17 fps on ramp (when M2000 warmed up) and 12 fps flying Mach 1 low over Krasnodar, using the settings you see in the 2 screenshots here

https://s9.postimg.cc/7ib50ot7j/Screen_180515_020339.png

https://s9.postimg.cc/gdbzbc019/Screen_180515_020851.png

Terrible. Needs optimization ASAP (or Vulkan API).

VR Preset, then Lower Visibility Distance, as well as MSAA OFF, AF 2 Maybe 4x. Pixel Density less than 1.2 for that GPU.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

VR Preset, then Lower Visibility Distance, as well as MSAA OFF, AF 2 Maybe 4x. Pixel Density less than 1.2 for that GPU.

Does "Visib Range" include mountains, clouds, contrails from aircraft?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Hmmm with VR preset I now have around 27 fps in multiplayer (but no mountains on horizon... -.- :P I'll just imagine that there is distance fog I guess... But hope ED can add low LOD mountains to medium "Visib Range" setting too, soon.)

But there is insane flickering around the autopilot buttons now (using VR preset). is this due to MSAA off or due to low Anisotropic filtering setting?

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

edited

Look or luck? You sound sceptical about Vulkan...

Vulkan is not a silver bullet that can fix all our problems. People are seeing a massive drop in the performance on Nvidia's graphics cards compared to Directx11 and this with a "highly optimized" engine. Vulkan is a much more complicated and difficult to work with than directx11, so I don't know how they will do it with their limited resources. At best with Vulkan, someone will see a 30% increase in performance but most of us will be ****ed. If this were my decision, I will try to optimize the current engine, I think it should be easy to see a 30-40% improvement in performance with the current engine if they are willing to optimize the VR. A different story is that they may not give a shit about VR since it's a niche market and they don't have enough resources to improve it (this is confirmed to me when they removed the Forward rendering option).

Edited by Icebeat

2.5.2 (.17559.377) has no improvement in performance.

The new update has almost identical performance with previous versions (well within the measurements uncertainty).

The new Anti-aliasing method present in the settings (SSAA) is not compatible with VR as it produces distorted view.

It is more or less identical in operation with the Pixel Density setting so it is no big deal.

The brown curve (2.5.2 SSAA) is pretty pointless (especially in conjunction with PD other than 1) but included just for fun.

Still SAD...

PS I got tired and frustrated so I skipped the 1.8 PD settings. In any case the trend of the curve is obvious.

attachment.php?attachmentid=185111

attachment.php?attachmentid=185112

512747380_2.5_0to2.5.2fpstest.png.af3b061f4d6083d2650663d38a5cd4f4.png

1416413424_2.5_0to2.5.2fpscurves.thumb.png.73f3397c257c0fbf2979f5bd3c8b80f5.png

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

The new update has almost identical performance with previous versions (well within the measurements uncertainty).

The new Anti-aliasing method present in the settings (SSAA) is not compatible with VR as it produces distorted view.

It is more or less identical in operation with the Pixel Density setting so it is no big deal.

Still SAD...

From my limited testing, I come to the same conclusions :(.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Still SAD...

Your opinion on 2.5.2.17978.385?

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Your opinion on 2.5.2.17978.385?

Hi Hippo.

Still sad.

The latest measurements are attached below. Identical performance plus I see some serious spikes every 5 to 10 seconds that were not there before.

So, very very sad to be honest. I cannot play the Hornet on 2.5.0. My days of 90 fps in DCS with great (for VR standards) graphics are coming to an end.

I have lost interest in keeping my servers up to be honest.

I want to fly the Hornet and I see the jaggies and the low fps and the BAD quality and the unreadable gauges and the carrier that I can hardly make out and I get very sad.

Oh well, life's got so many other good things... No need to spend my time on this.

Cheers !!

attachment.php?attachmentid=186568

attachment.php?attachmentid=186566&d=1528274778

DCS-FPS-2.5.218144-chart.thumb.png.1ea45c9598fff68ac4da47c45fd968f8.png

1670792845_DCS-FPS-2.5.218144-table.png.411cb724d0f4a11e3c0908ddb04c63d6.png

Edited by Flighter
Better looking chart

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

Hi Hippo.

Still sad.

The latest measurements are attached below. Identical performance plus I see some serious spikes every 5 to 10 seconds that were not there before.

So, very very sad to be honest. I cannot play the Hornet on 2.5.0. My days of 90 fps in DCS with great (for VR standards) graphics are coming to an end.

I want to fly the Hornet and I see the jaggies and the low fps and the BAD quality and the unreadable gauges and the carrier that I can hardly make out and I get very sad.

Oh well, life's got so many other good things... No need to spend my time on this.

Cheers !!

attachment.php?attachmentid=186565

attachment.php?attachmentid=186566

Any official quote / response from ED regarding frame rate issues?

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

I get like 35 fps in VR with mostly high settings according to the windows wmr dev portal. I've been mostly flying the hornet. But I don't know if that is accurate as tracking is smooth and no stutters or jitters.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Hi Hippo.

Still sad.

Cheers !!

attachment.php?attachmentid=186565

attachment.php?attachmentid=186566

Why are you running PD and SSAA at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Why are you running PD and SSAA at the same time?

I am not. It was left there from previous test :

The brown curve (2.5.2 SSAA) is pretty pointless (especially in conjunction with PD other than 1) but included just for fun.

the post is here https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3494122&postcount=109.

I will correct the table as to not confuse people.

Thanks for spotting it.

Edited by Flighter

🙂 Smile 🙂

Sorry to hear - thanks for posting your results though.

.... and I get very sad.

Unfortunately this has been my experience with DCS for the past 15 years....

It has just always held that stigma of a very poorly optimised flight sim, while the sim by itself was amazing... it just always frustrated you with the poor optimisations graphically so was left un-played for 6-12+ hoping for improvement.

Have just come back after yet another break due to the F-14 getting closer so need to brush up on my piloting in the F-5 after waiting for 2.5 to sort itself out and hopefully VR support to mature.

No such luck - in fact the performance in VR it is actually worse now than when I left as you have shown. Granted I am attempting to play in VR which I guess is still 'new tech'.

If I went back to a flat screen with my 1080ti I am sure I would have great performance....but then it wouldn't get played anyway due to no VR.

I am actually a little concerned that when the F-14 and carrier get released this move towards DS etc. forcing VR players to minimise their settings, run at PD 1.0 etc will mean the picture quality will be so bad in VR you won't even be able to make out the meatball :doh:

I can only hope the focus moves away from the ability to make pretty screenshots in 2D mode to some more consideration of the future of flight sims being in VR.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why don't you go into the options and changed Deferred Shading from a 1 to a 0?

And that works does it?

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

Hate to be negative on the OP, but from a point of view of trying to say something accurately, it's a worthless effort and here is why.

What process are you performing to document your frames? As far as I see you've listed results and analysis but no method by which you came to them. Everyone knows that frames vary wildly depending on more than just graphics settings.

-Being on the ground, being in certain locations, where are you?

-Looking in certain directions, I can look up and get another 40 frames?

-what is going on in the mission at the time, including combat?

-what mission, and what is is doing?

Then we have how you measured them:

Occulus app or in game counter?

Take over time or point in time?

Averages? If not averages, how calculated? Mean, median or mode?

Then we have your testing conditions

Installation of mods?

Non default settings and configuration

Nvidia/AMD global or app settings?

Running other software that consumes CPU

Point in case, I can load the same mission and record completely different frames by doing different things. Without even the mission, who knows how you arrived at your conclusion? Even with the mission and testing criteria, I can simulate frame drops by spawning or putting planes in combat or missiles in flight.

I don't deny DCS performance is at best hard to get in VR, but the numbers and graphs have little to no value without how you got them.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

A constructive post ? !!!

... it's a worthless effort and here is why.

Hi there !

Many thanks for your nice post !

The repeatability of the results in the last 4 tests, should tell you a lot about the quality of the measurement method; if you had elementary knowledge about statistics, measurements and uncertainties.

I will not go into this.

If you wanted to know how I do the test all you had to do is ask. I would be glad to describe it.

Also, from the very first post (RTFP !!! LOL ) :

... test flight which is the Nevada free flight with the KA50.

You can do it too !

But judging something you do not know and calling it worthless, it's, well.. tactless.

Have fun !

🙂 Smile 🙂