Flightpanels program thread. Saitek Pro Flight Panels & DCS - Page 47 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #461
pdmarsh

Reputation power: 6
pdmarsh will become famous soon enoughpdmarsh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
I am just discovering this software and it sounds pretty awesome. Would it work with 2 radio panels? Or can you do everything with just one?
I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. I never tested it. I'll check with ArturDCS if he doesn't respond himself. If it does support multiple panels of the same type, multiple tabs would or should appear to allow for separate programming.

Paul
pdmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #462
ArturDCS

Reputation power: 4
ArturDCS will become famous soon enoughArturDCS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am just discovering this software and it sounds pretty awesome. Would it work with 2 radio panels? Or can you do everything with just one?
Yes it works with multiple panels of any sort (FIPs exluded). You can use/configure them independently. So stack them up!
Radio support works with one panel, you just switch between the radios but for more complicated aircraft (radio wise) you can use 2 radiopanels and keep them in their respective radios for easier operation.

Last edited by ArturDCS; 10-13-2017 at 07:29 AM.
ArturDCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #463
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Reputation power: 31
BaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to all

Thanks ArturDCS. I will try with one radio panel for the moment and see how easy it is to use with the choppers, like Mi8 or Huey with all their radios.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #464
ArturDCS

Quote:
Thanks ArturDCS. I will try with one radio panel for the moment and see how easy it is to use with the choppers, like Mi8 or Huey with all their radios.
Do that and feedback is always welcome!

Last edited by ArturDCS; 10-14-2017 at 07:25 AM. Reason: grammar
ArturDCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:01 AM   #465
pdmarsh

Default Working With Formulas

ArturDCS has built a powerful tool into DCSFlightpanels that might not be well understood by many users. That tool is the ability to add mathematical formulas that will convert raw data as output from DCS into meaningful information to be displayed on one of the four display options on the Logitech (Saitek) Multi Panel. In some cases, these formulas are built into DCSFP, so when you select “HDG,” for example, the actual heading is displayed on the panel. However, that is not always the case. If only raw data is available, you will need to apply a formula to that data to get something usable.

There are two assumptions that can be made that will apply to most scenarios. The first is that the raw data will be in the range of 0 to 65535, and the second is that the scale of the gauge in question is linear. As an example, let’s look at the fuselage fuel tank in the P-51D, which has a capacity of 85 gallons. A raw data value of 0 will equate to 0 gallons on the gauge, while a raw data value of 65535 will equate to 85 gallons. We now need a formula based on that information to convert other raw data values to gallons.

Fortunately, Excel makes this very easy. What we need to know is the slope of the line on a chart using the above data. The raw data makes up the x axis values, while the gauge scale makes up the y axis values. The screenshot below shows how this is done in Excel. In practice, it’s not necessary to draw the chart in order calculate slope.

The slope works out to be 0.001297017. The basic formula would be:

Raw Value x 0.001297017 = Gallons

In DCSFlightpanels, it will appear like this (see screenshot below):

FUEL_TANK_FUSELAGE*0.001297017

A slightly more complicated example would be vertical velocity, a.k.a. variometer, as this range has both positive and negative values, in this case -6000 to +6000 fpm, yet the raw data is all positive, 0 to 65535. The Excel exercise looks like this:

The slope works out to be 0.183108263. However, if we run the following formula:

65535 x 0.183108263

we get 12,000 fpm, not 6000. In order to correct for this we have to subtract 6000. The final formula looks like this:

(Raw Value x 0.183108263)-6000

In DCSFlightpanels, it will appear like this (see screenshot below):

(VARIOMETER_VVI*0.183108263)-6000

So far, I have only come across one gauge with a scale that is not linear, the AJS-37 Viggen airspeed indicator. In such a case it will be necessary to plot the data in Exel and use the trendline function to find a curve that best matches the data. You can then have Excel display the formula behind the trendline. There are a number of ways to get the needed data. Without digging into the module’s files, or getting up to speed with DCS-BIOS control-reference, the easiest approach is to configure one of the Multi Panel displays to show the raw data of the gauge in question, get in the pit and fly around, pausing to write down the gauge value and the matching raw data value. Obviously, you will want to collect a number of data points throughout the range of the gauge. For end points, you can once again assume 0 and 0 match, and the high end of the gauge range is 65535. You’ll be happy to know that I built this particular formula into the DCS-BIOS profile for the Viggen—airspeed will be done for you when that module is added to DCSFlightpanels.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old 10-14-2017, 05:20 AM   #466
BaD CrC
ED Translator

BaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to all

This software of yours, Artur, is simply amazing. Took me 5 minutes to install and it ran first time without a glitch. Complete game changer in heavy ATC controlled MP servers. Let me know how I can send you my contribution to this first class work.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #467
BaD CrC
ED Translator

OK, now I have been playing around FlightPanels for an Mi8 profile and I have a few questions guys:
- cannot find the Navigation lights command in DCS BIOS control. Got all the other lights working fine.
- when trying to define a key sequence, LALT and RALT register in FlightPanels as LMENU and RMENU. Is it a bug or a problem linked to the fact that my keyboard is Azerty?
- I would like to associate the Magnetos rotary switch of the switch panel to the radio panel switch. In DCS Bios control, there is only the turn left and turn right command. Can't I associate a given position of the rotary to a specific position of the radio panel? Like OFF is Intercom, R is R823, L is Jadro,....?
- surely the mathematical conversions for some of the integer outputs should be available somewhere without having to go through pdmarsh procedure each time?
Thanks guys.

Last edited by BaD CrC; 10-15-2017 at 04:57 PM.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #468
ArturDCS

I'll answer part of your questions.
Based on the flight manual some or all are marked CB Lights something?
You can set the group on using the group switch via DCS-BIOS. Any hints you see from the cockpit control is usually searchable in DCSFlightpanels.

LALT, RALT, does it work nevertheless? I haven't touched that part of the code in ages but I just read the keys as reported by the APIs.

Perhaps pdmarsh can help out with the other questions.

Quote:
OK, now I have been playing around FlightPanels for an Mi8 profile and I have a few questions guys:
- cannot find the Navigation lights command in DCS BIOS control. Got all the other lights working fine.
- when trying to define a key sequence, LALT and RALT register in FlightPanels as LMENU and RMENU. Is it a bug or a problem linked to the fact that my keyboard is Azerty?
- I would like to associate the Magnetos rotary switch of the switch panel to the radio panel switch. In DCS Bios control, there is only the turn left and turn right command. Can't I associate a given position of the rotary to a specific position of the radio panel? Like OFF is Intercom, R is R823, L is Jadro,....?
- surely the mathematical conversions for some of the integer outputs should be available somewhere without having to go through pdmarsh procedure each time?
Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	170725   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	170726  
Old 10-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #469
pdmarsh

Quote:
Thanks guys.
For navigation lights, search either "Lights" or just "LGHT." The nav lights show up like this:

L_RED_LGHT_2, R_RED_LGHT_2 and C_RED_LGHT_2.

LALT and RALT showing up as LMENU and RMENU is not a bug, and it will work OK. However, sometimes the associated key command does not appear, e.g. LMENU + A. That is a bug that, for whatever reason, can't be fixed. In those cases, you have to open the configuration file, after saving it, and enter the missing key command manually, in this case the A. There is a button in DCSFP to open the file.

Yes, I believe there is a way to associate the Swith Panel knob to control the Mi-8 radio panel mode selector. FIXED_STEP might work, but I'm not sure how the underling code is set up. In any case, SET_STATE should do the job. You'll need to know what value between 0 and 65535 relates to each position of the in-cockpit switch. That will become the SET_STATE value for each of the Swith Panel knob positions. There might be a way to do this using the Multi Panel displays to get the data input values, but I'll have to play with that. I'll get those values for you in a bit. I'm actually testing a new build of DCSFP at the moment which as the F-86F Sabre enabled. :-)

Regarding the conversions, unless they have been build into DCSFP, as ArturDCS has tried to do for most of the obvious ones, like altitude, heading and airspeed, I think you'll need to get that slope value for any given gauge. More recently, we have found an easier way to put formulas in the DCS-BIOS files and have added many more premade formulas. In the case of the P-51D, I believe I included these formulas for just about every gauge. I'm doing the same for the F-86F DCS-BIOS file, which ArturDCS created initially. I'm just adding these formulas. The user won't see the formulas, they just need to select the given function as usual.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old 10-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #470
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Wow. Thanks for the super quick reply guys.

According to the description, L_RED_LGHT_2, R_RED_LGHT_2 and C_RED_LGHT_2 are the rheostat commands for the rad lights in the cockpit, not the navigation light on the tip of the pylons.
Those marked CB are only the circuits breakers command, not the ON/OFF ones.
Another thing, even after powering them up, I just can't get the ark9 and SPU7 frequencies to be displayed on my radio panel when switching to ADF or XPDR. The 828,863 and Yadro are working fine though.
Thanks for your help and for the radio panel values.