Question for real life F-15 maintainers - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
mytai01

Reputation power: 7
mytai01 has a spectacular aura aboutmytai01 has a spectacular aura aboutmytai01 has a spectacular aura aboutmytai01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Question for real life F-15 maintainers

What is the high frequency buzzing noise I've heard Eagles make during some maintenance procedures? The engines are off...
mytai01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
feefifofum
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 9
feefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nice

Not an F-15 maintainer, and not sure if this is something you can do without the engines running, but are you talking about the nozzle test?
https://youtu.be/tfNeAr8ix10?t=107
Old 10-13-2017, 04:07 AM   #3
mytai01

mytai01 has a spectacular aura aboutmytai01 has a spectacular aura aboutmytai01 has a spectacular aura aboutmytai01 has a spectacular aura about

The sound of something else other than an engine running after engine shutdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9zA0v5yrPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho-JzqjOdWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksPO2zYvOT8
Old 10-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
Vampyre

Reputation power: 9
Vampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really nice

I'm not an Eagle guy but I think what you are trying to point out is the avionics cooling fans shutting off when the power from the generators shut's off. When engine RPM goes below a certain percentage the generators will stop delivering power to the aircraft systems. Shutting off fuel flow to the engines stops the combustion process but the engine is still spinning keeping the generators running until the engine spool's down enough that the generators will no longer deliver electricity to the aircraft systems to run things like avionics cooling fans.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:51 AM   #5
mytai01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
I'm not an Eagle guy but I think what you are trying to point out is the avionics cooling fans shutting off when the power from the generators shut's off. When engine RPM goes below a certain percentage the generators will stop delivering power to the aircraft systems. Shutting off fuel flow to the engines stops the combustion process but the engine is still spinning keeping the generators running until the engine spool's down enough that the generators will no longer deliver electricity to the aircraft systems to run things like avionics cooling fans.
Well, I want that in my DCS Eagle and any other aircraft with a similar setup...
Old 10-14-2017, 05:45 AM   #6
VZ_342

Reputation power: 1
VZ_342 is on a distinguished road

Auxiliary Power Units (APU). Once the engines are shut down, the Auxiliary Power Units disconnect from the electrical busses and that's when the APU winds (whines) down.

Source
VZ_342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
mytai01

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZ_342 View Post
Auxiliary Power Units (APU). Once the engines are shut down, the Auxiliary Power Units disconnect from the electrical busses and that's when the APU winds (whines) down.

Source
I assume these APU are not like the kind airliners have and you're not meaning the JFS, right?

Last edited by mytai01; 10-14-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
mvsgas
Veteran

Reputation power: 153
mvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud of

I think we should wait for someone that has actually work on the F-15.

The F-15 does not have an APU, it has a JFS which is only used for the start and AFAIK, has nothing to do with the shutdown procedures. It could be the sound of the AMADS spooling down but I do not know since my experience on the F-15 is very limited.

Of all the things the FC3 F-15 could use, why bother with something so trivial?

CPU=Intel Core I3 7320, Mo/Bo= ASRock B250 Gaming K4, Memory DDR42400 pc4-19200 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V, video card=EVGA GTX 1060 SC, 6gb gddr 5, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64

Last edited by mvsgas; 10-14-2017 at 08:17 AM.
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:31 AM   #9
mytai01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsgas View Post
I think we should wait for someone that has actually work on the F-15.

The F-15 does not have an APU, it has a JFS which is only used for the start and AFAIK, has nothing to do with the shutdown procedures. It could be the sound of the AMADS spooling down but I do not know since my experience on the F-15 is very limited.

Of all the things the FC3 F-15 could use, why bother with something so trivial?
What do you want to see?
Old 10-15-2017, 12:48 AM   #10
kdrum60

Reputation power: 0
kdrum60 will become famous soon enoughkdrum60 will become famous soon enough

If you are referring to just after engine shut-down, then the sound you hear is the emergency generator that comes on-line when the generators go off-line. The emergency generator is driven by hydraulic power and there is enough hydraulic pressure to drive it until the engines spool down.

Eagle Keeper for 12 years. McDonnell Douglas and Boeing for 7 years.
Alienware X51 R2:i7-4770 CPU@3.40GHz(3.84GHz): 16GB RAM: Seagate Firecuda 2TB: GeForce GTX 970 SC: Dell U3417W,3440 x 1440 (60Hz):Thrust Master WartHog: Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals:Windows 10 Home 64-bit: TrackIR 5: Volair Sim Cockpit.
kdrum60 is offline   Reply With Quote