TM Warthog questions.

Hi guys,

I hope you guys are well and willing to help. I'm gonna use your knowledge. :helpsmilie:

I got my TM Warthog and I am looking forward to use it. I got it in USA, went to Bahamas, Germany, Italy, Portugal and now I am on the way to Brazil carrying this thing! LOL (pretty heavy)!:megalol:

Anyway, when I get back there (tomorrow), I would like to know the best course of action. So here goes the questions:

1- After I remove the CH stick and throttle (I will use it's pedal for now), do I have to install any driver?

2- Does TARGET software worth it? I like to program my own settings in the CH Manager, but I don't know anything about TM software. I was thinking about using Polaris' profiles on the beginning.

3- If I use the TARGET software to customize to each acft, is it possible to change the acft profile while inside DCS or do I have to close DCS and then change the profile?

I thank you in advance for any help. Once I'm at home I will add the serial number to the post database.

All the best and thank you!

Sydy

1) Yes, there are drivers that should (need to?) be installed.

2) No, it's not.

3) No, AFAIK it's not possible to change it without restarting DCS, which is the reason for my answer to question 2. ;)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi guys,

I hope you guys are well and willing to help. I'm gonna use your knowledge. :helpsmilie:

I got my TM Warthog and I am looking forward to use it. I got it in USA, went to Bahamas, Germany, Italy, Portugal and now I am on the way to Brazil carrying this thing! LOL (pretty heavy)!:megalol:

Anyway, when I get back there (tomorrow), I would like to know the best course of action. So here goes the questions:

1- After I remove the CH stick and throttle (I will use it's pedal for now), do I have to install any driver?

2- Does TARGET software worth it? I like to program my own settings in the CH Manager, but I don't know anything about TM software. I was thinking about using Polaris' profiles on the beginning.

3- If I use the TARGET software to customize to each acft, is it possible to change the acft profile while inside DCS or do I have to close DCS and then change the profile?

I thank you in advance for any help. Once I'm at home I will add the serial number to the post database.

All the best and thank you!

Sydy

1: Yes, the TM Drivers.

https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/hotaswarthog-en/

2: TARGET software is very powerful in what it can do, as a result it also can be a little overwhelming. There are two software packages, the GUI mode, and the Script Editor. The Script Editor being the most powerful, but most complex to use. I suggest grabbing both the GUI Manual and Script Editor Manual, pouring yourself a large drink and having a good read over them - multiple times.

Having said that, I myself have been getting away from using TARGET, as I find the controller setup menu especially in DCS to be more than sufficient for my needs.

3: Not 100% sure, but I "think" yes you will need to exit DCS to stop and start a new profile in TARGET.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1) not sure, check the website

2) Target is great - you really need this in order to get full functionality out of all switches.

3) No. But you don't need to. Set up a profile for yourself, then assign those assignments to your profiles in DCS. E.g. there is a 3 way switch, you assign the positions to A,S,D in Target. Then you go to DCS and assign A, S, D, to whatever you like.

Thank you guys!!! You are fast!!!

Keep it coming, the more point of views, the easier will be to evaluate my steps!

Edit: Just got target manual to read during the flight back home...

Tks in advance!!!

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
update...

1) not sure, check the website

2) Target is great - you really need this in order to get full functionality out of all switches.

3) No. But you don't need to. Set up a profile for yourself, then assign those assignments to your profiles in DCS. E.g. there is a 3 way switch, you assign the positions to A,S,D in Target. Then you go to DCS and assign A, S, D, to whatever you like.

2. So I'm not getting all the A-10 functions because I don't use Targshit? Hmmmm

2. So I'm not getting all the A-10 functions because I don't use Targshit? Hmmmm

It's not a problem with target, but with limited DCS controls mapping and unwillingness of the devs (esp 3rd party) to write proper lua config files. Same with other joysticks, most of them map 2-3 position switches the same way.

A-10 already has dedicated Warthog mappings so you're good without target, but other aircraft are mixed bag.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

A-10 already has dedicated Warthog mappings so you're good without target, but other aircraft are mixed bag.

Unless start yourself do the need LUA code changes for 3 positions switches work like in A-10 profile - changes that the next patch will erase. :)

The problem with aircraft, other than the A-10C, controls and the Warthog switches is that the switch (whether it is a two or three position switch) does not send out a DX signal in one of it's positions because that position is an open circuit. This means that, for most in game controls, you cannot map that position to anything without using Target or modifying the lua file to allow for it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

After all that info... I got in a crossroad...

I do like QuiGon idea of not having to close DCS to fly different aircrafts, but at the same time I would like to use all functionalities of the stick and throttle...

I think will try mapping it directly in DCS first...

All the best,

Sydy

After all that info... I got in a crossroad...

I do like QuiGon idea of not having to close DCS to fly different aircrafts, but at the same time I would like to use all functionalities of the stick and throttle...

I think will try mapping it directly in DCS first...

All the best,

Sydy

I used to use TARGET, but have gotten away from it and do all my mapping in DCS.

I find the DCS control setup menu to be more than adequate for my needs, even with some of the switch limitations for the Warthog. I love having the ability to assign a button as a modifier, great increases the number of commands I can assign to buttons. I typically use the paddle as modifier button for all my aircraft.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You don't have to close the game, just alt-tab and switch profiles. DCS can hot plug controllers, even the virtual one created by Target.

That being said, I've created one generic profile in Target that maps every switch position to another key combo, and then map those in game. It's quicker this way.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I used to use TARGET, but have gotten away from it and do all my mapping in DCS.

I find the DCS control setup menu to be more than adequate for my needs, even with some of the switch limitations for the Warthog. I love having the ability to assign a button as a modifier, great increases the number of commands I can assign to buttons. I typically use the paddle as modifier button for all my aircraft.

Hi dburne,

I think I'm gonna go for that. I just configured it to the F-5E and I am pretty happy with the result. Thanks a lot.

You don't have to close the game, just alt-tab and switch profiles. DCS can hot plug controllers, even the virtual one created by Target.

That being said, I've created one generic profile in Target that maps every switch position to another key combo, and then map those in game. It's quicker this way.

This is a nice solution. Although I agree that script is a more powerful, I will try to keep it simple.

Tks a lot guys.

Sydy

Hi dburne,

I think I'm gonna go for that. I just configured it to the F-5E and I am pretty happy with the result. Thanks a lot.

:thumbup:

You are most welcome, have fun!!

Don B

...ability to assign a button as a modifier, great increases the number of commands I can assign to buttons. I typically use the paddle as modifier button for all my aircraft.

Besides the momentary modifier, DCS Controls option "Switches"* (a "on-off" modifier, like a mode selector) allow map, for example, a HAT in two different ways if associate "Switches" to a ON-OFF switch/rocker on controller.

* Work like "mode" in some HOTAS software, or Saitek X-52 mode selector, so need be mapped in switch than hold state, e.g. ON or key that do the same, like Scroll Lock.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Besides the momentary modifier, DCS Controls option "Switches"* (a "on-off" modifier, like a mode selector) allow map, for example, a HAT in two different ways if associate "Switches" to a ON-OFF switch/rocker on controller.

* Work like "mode" in some HOTAS software.

Yeah I am sure some folks like using it that way, I myself have just not been to keen on using a switch. For me I prefer using a modifier ( button held) to increase my button commands. But then I was the same way with TARGET and Foxy before that.

Now I have accidently set a button as a switch rather than a modifier in DCS which resulted in a lot of hair pulling on my part!

:doh:

Don B