So, tell me please....

In a human competitive scenario in a flight simulator, for example air racing or air combat, I would like to see a restriction on the number of controls that can be operated at any one time, so that they match the same that could be operated in a realistic manner for each individual aircraft type.

I do not want to compete against pilots with octopus arms. To my mind, if we are to achieve proper simulation that does justice to the high level of detail given to DCS aircraft in other areas, then we should accept such a restriction. Otherwise, we might as well fly a fantasy space ship simulation.

At the end of the day, we are playing a simulation of various aircraft that gives us an idea of how to fly said aircraft. The F-16 pilot who worked closely with developers on a certain MicroPose sim said something like "if you ask people to create the most accurate simulation of an aircraft, they'll just design a real life aircraft."

I don't think making it so that I can't trim my 109 and operate the throttle at the same time would make it "more realistic", just more annoying. In a simulation of aircraft, you have to make compromises somewhere.

Can someone explain to me why were are arguing about the trim again?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day, we are playing a simulation of various aircraft that gives us an idea of how to fly said aircraft. The F-16 pilot who worked closely with developers on a certain MicroPose sim said something like "if you ask people to create the most accurate simulation of an aircraft, they'll just design a real life aircraft."

I don't think making it so that I can't trim my 109 and operate the throttle at the same time would make it "more realistic", just more annoying. In a simulation of aircraft, you have to make compromises somewhere.

Can someone explain to me why were are arguing about the trim again?

So, you are 'cherry picking' your simulation requirements and level of realism. Any sim pilot could say any one of the simulation aspects is 'annoying'; his or her choice which is annoying (we could find any one of the real aircraft flight characteristics annoying and ask the devs to change it, LOL). But what is more realistic?

I see so many people giving the developers such a hard time on the forum over such small things, some of which I would agree with, but then the same people might be all to ready to accept ridiculous octopus arms and hands pilot ability, or even lobby for it! To my mind it is just double standards. If, in the real aircraft the pilot could move the throttle and trim the aircraft as well has operate the joystick during combat manoeuvre, that would be fine, but if this was not possible in real life then it should be modelled as such in the simulator.

It would appear that we have double standards all over the place and then people still giving each other and the devs a hard time.

What a mad house! The devs have a lot to put up with me thinks. I think it must be like trying to please a stroppy 5 year old, LOL.

So, how does the Bf 109 feel then? Perhaps it depends on whether the pilot is human or octopus.

Bell_UH-1 side.png

using the trim on a rotary control is hardly anything to do with being an octopus, there are people who just want to use these sims for fun, act out a little historic nostalgia, set up the controls in a way they are comfortable with, not everyone needs to wave their E-peens around in fierce online competitiveness, it's not as if any one aircraft will benefit more than others.