Mist or Moose ?

Oh-Zee

The ever changing mission editor has brought me to guys to ask the question, Mist or Moose ? Could somebody point out the differences if any ? I've read a few things on the forum and have visited hogitworld for some information on these two script programs. Are they capable of the same things. Is what I'm seeing the written scripts that look different ? It looks like I will need to learn one of these to get the effects I want in my missions. I'm not new at mission building, but not an expert either. I understand the triggers and conditions for the most part. Just want to open up more options for my missions. If they do the same thing, which would be easier to use ? Thanks guys, love the community !

MiST or MOOSE?

The answer is yes. ;)

MiST offers some quick and easy one-liners you can use in conjunction with the regular ME GUI. Complex tasking is possible but can be more time consuming.

MOOSE is great for relatively quick to set up complex automation, but it is definitely more challenging to learn in my opinion. FlightControl has put together some fantastic tutorial videos though and the community Discord is chock full of helpful people.

Both have their strengths and are worth investing time in at least a cursory understanding. :thumbup:

Mist is better for quick fixes for missing scripting features in the core game.

Moose is more of a base on which to build complex missions with relatively little code.

I say relatively because my mission I'm working on is over 5000 lines of code. But it is very intricate and detailed. But without Moose the features of the mission would be impossible, without at least twice the ammount of code and thousands upon thousands of editor placed units.

It still has some Mist in it though:)

Easy would you mind mentoring a person that knows nothing about scripting but has coded a complete application before. I have a few things I want to implement in my missions as a base for missions am not sure if you seen the forward operating base I’m working on for hueys I has a mash unit near the fob it’s to big to be a farp. I’m almost to. The point of having to script things by i still need to locate a couple of items like an ambulance, and stretcher bearers for the mash unit then I’ll need to activate them when a inbound huey with a casualty enter the trigger zone.

I’m sur I’m got other things o implement down the line. Eventually I want the whole island to be involved with the fob. Right now it’s a 4x farp pad and 2 singe psd for the mash. OST everything else s a tent or vehicle

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Any would do. However, there's quite some setup you need for MOOSE but once you are set up then it becomes just as easy. Both of them are well documented. If you have time and disk space try them both and see which one you like more. You may end up keeping them both. Nice thing about DCS is that it bundles your custom scripts with the mission so it does not matter which is firing.

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

I cannot speak to MiST, as I haven't touched it (yet), but I just started messing with MOOSE the other day and oh my gawd, it's POWERFUL. It can get a little confusing (and I say that as someone who has only scripted/programmed a little bit through out my entire life (and I'm old)).

Within minutes of watching FC's BRILLIANT videos, I could see the potential.

I plan on checking out MiST at some point, but right now, everything I've asked MOOSE to do, it's done (albeit, it's not been much) and done it brilliantly.

The BEST thing you can do is play with one then check out the other. They both get the job done, both seem to be popular. You just have to find which fits you and which you can wrap your head around the best.

One thing I can say, just because MiST has been around longer, does not make it better (again, not saying one way or the other because I haven't used it yet), but what it DOES say - It's good. It would have to be to have been around this long. Nothing like this that ISN'T good lasts. That should speak volumes for MiST right there.

My vote - MOOSE just because of how easy it is to use, I've found really good support (there are areas it could improve in). Anything I've thought of, it's done (again, only a few things), the very VERY brilliant, VERY professional video's are just outstanding explaining things. FlightControl leaves no stone unturned!

B. "Swany" Swanberg

Gigabyte Designare, Intel i9 9900KF (3.6, OC'd to 5.0)

32GB Patriot Viper Steel (black, non-RGB)

OS installed on a Samsung Evo 970 1TB SSD

DCS installed on a Samsun Evo 860 1TB SSD

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

EVGA Supernova 720p 750w PS

3 Dell S2716DG monitors in Surround mode (7680x1440)

Oculus Rift S VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick

Thrusmaster Rudder Pedals

assorted button boxes/Arduino boards

All drivers always kept up to date (30 days old, max)

To answer the OP, they are not mutually exclusive and you can have both. Moose contains a lot of Mist albeit the functions are renamed or just built upon. Moose then goes in directions to build larger layers of scripts called modules and that's where the savings are, but you need to use the modules to benefit from the simplicity, at a casual level moose and Mist are doing the same thing and can be shorter or longer to achieve the same effect depending on exactly what you want to do. Mist is like a bunch of tools laid out on the floor. Moose is like a bunch of tool-sets on the floor with some tools scattered around them. Both of them need some savvy from the user. Spawning is quite different though. I much prefer MOOSE as it's simpler and has quite a few decent functions embedded in the SPAWN module.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I routinely have MOOSE, Mist, CTLD, CSAR and a created script running.

Mist is the base layer for the most excellent CTLD and CSAR scripts, btw.

If the question is - which one to dig into and start becoming proficient and more advanced with, I was personally attracted to MOOSE because of the extent and level of detail in the documentation, as well as the suite of very well done "example" missions that exercise every class there is. Some in really creative and time-saving ways.

I found these, along with the videos, especially how to set up the LDT absolutely fantastic for getting started.

I've been at it for quite a while and still go back to those test missions and learn new things.

I do use Mist as well, but honestly less often. If it had a library of common & really cool example stuff that can be easily done, maybe with a focus on do_script one liners - I bet that would be a huge hit.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/