Separate volume slider for "hear like in helmet"

OttoPus

• 7 months later...

I also use 'hear like in helmet' with headphones, but i never thought it was too loud when i ejected or when outside.

I adjust the master volume so it doesn't blow up my headphones when outside and then goes back in the pit. All levels are default.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

I also use 'hear like in helmet' with headphones, but i never thought it was too loud when i ejected or when outside.

I adjust the master volume so it doesn't blow up my headphones when outside and then goes back in the pit. All levels are default.

Adjusting master level also dims the "in helmet" sound. It's not a solution.

+1/2

I want this mappable on a second sound device, while you're at it. So we can have the helmet on our headphones and the rest on speakers and tweak volume there.

What we definately need is some slider that adjusts the balane between F1 and other views. Switching to external feels like +100dB(A) (I know it's less) in most cases.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

If you basically want all volumes equalised, so you can hear outside and inside equally well, but don't want it really loud... Then just DISABLE "hear like in helmet" and then turn the volume down. That sounds like what people are wanting here.

If I understand right

#1 Check "hear like in helmet" because the game is too loud

#2 Want "hear like in helmet" volume slider because sounds now too quiet

Solution : Don't use "hear like in helmet" and then balance the other volume sliders, like in every other game? Afaik, "hear like in helmet" mutes other sounds so that ingame radio/bitchin' betty is more easily heard, right? That's what I use it for, anyway. And yeah, the outside sound is then jarringly loud, because you turn it up to compensate (usually). If you simply never enable it in the first place, you then tinker with the other sliders until it's balanced the way you want.

Or am I off?

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

If you basically want all volumes equalised, so you can hear outside and inside equally well, but don't want it really loud... Then just DISABLE "hear like in helmet" and then turn the volume down. That sounds like what people are wanting here.

If I understand right

#1 Check "hear like in helmet" because the game is too loud

#2 Want "hear like in helmet" volume slider because sounds now too quiet

Solution : Don't use "hear like in helmet" and then balance the other volume sliders, like in every other game? Afaik, "hear like in helmet" mutes other sounds so that ingame radio/bitchin' betty is more easily heard, right? That's what I use it for, anyway. And yeah, the outside sound is then jarringly loud, because you turn it up to compensate (usually). If you simply never enable it in the first place, you then tinker with the other sliders until it's balanced the way you want.

Or am I off?

Yes you are.

Hear like in helmet also applies a low pass filter to All sounds that are not supposed to be heard through the headset (e.g. radio comms).

The value of the low pass filter and the gain reduction are stored in /config/sound.lua

There are 3 issues:

1) Editing this file breaks integrity check

2) this file will be overwritten with every dcs update

3) sounds that should not be attenuated (e.g. instructions for interactive lessons and such) are gained down

So obviously disabling hear like in helmet is not the solution. A solution could be a slider for the values in the sound.lua file that allow to not break integrity check (and of course these options should not be overwritten every dcs update).

• 4 months later...